Why we kiss under the mistletoe

From the Farmer’s Almanac:

Why We Kiss Under the Mistletoe

Winter Solstice Plants

7 Likes

Very cool @berta! Thanks for sharing! I love the list of Winter Solstice plants and I now know what mistletoe looks like while in a tree. I never see any around here, at least not that I’ve noticed. Then again I can’t really get into the forest that well. Again, thanks for the links!

5 Likes

@Amethyst you are so welcome! I was married to a horticulturalist for 8 years and was friends with him for many more before his passing. I like to share his passion.

5 Likes

You do him justice!

3 Likes

That’s beautiful lore, Berta! Thanks for sharing!

It’s funny that so many holidays have traditional associations with marriage or getting single youths engaged! E.g. beads in exchange for kisses, the mistletoe tradition, divinations for future marriage, and a lot more!

5 Likes

I’m glad you liked them.

Yes, I am sure it is to encourage survival of the communities. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The lore of mistletoe is beautiful, Berta! I love that it has come to represent love and peace :dove:

The line that says even enemies have to put aside their weapons and kiss when caught under the mistletoe made me chuckle- it feels like a story just waiting to be written! :joy:

The Farmers Almanac always has such great seasonal pieces- and they mentioned what I found out about the dangers of mistletoe (in this discussion) too.

These were a pleasure to read- thanks for sharing, @Berta! :heart:

5 Likes

That’s so beautiful Berta Mistletoe is for peace and love :heart:!
Know I know why everyone :kiss: kisses under mistletoe! I heard that when growing up! Lol
So many things that come from the paganism and I didn’t even know it!
So glad to be informed!
Jeannie

4 Likes

Ooo… very nice read @berta! I loved it, so interesting to learn where things/traditions come from.

5 Likes

The word kiss comes from scandanavia. In German it’s Kuss, in French Biset. The practice is well documented as a Roman custom.

5 Likes