Wiccan memorial?

Hi,
My dad passed recently, and I was wondering if you could help me with the Wiccan tradition of a memorial tradition ?

My father was raised catholic but never went to church really! So I want to honor him. He really liked king tut! Any info on king tut? He loved yoga too! Do you have any suggestions? What should I do to honor him?
He liked the Buddhist faith!
I am just confused on what to do.

Jeannie

14 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss, @Jeannie1 :people_hugging:

I don’t know too much about Wiccan or Buddhist funeral customs or memorials, but I did find some links that might help you. I’ll put them here for you.

Whatever you do to honor your dad, I’m sure it will be lovely and special :heart:

14 Likes

@Jeannie1 I am so sorry for your loss.

This website has a section on rituals and things for memorial that may come in handy. Scroll down to the relevant section.

As for King Tut, I put on my Egyptian hat and give my 2 cents (or 2 pence) here. He is famous because his tomb was found intact with all of his possessions inside. The Egyptians were firm believers that what would be needed in the afterlife should be placed with them in their tomb. Perhaps objects special to your father could be placed with him.

Perhaps an ankh or wedjat (eye of Horus) to being eternal life and protection. Others like the scarab bring love and regeneration, the dejat was the symbol of endurance and the Isis Knot was the ultimate protection for the afterlife. These were placed as amulets with the body. King Tuts mummy bore all of these.

Collars of flowers including olive leaves, berries yellow and blue cornflowers were found in his tomb so could form the basis of a floral arrangement.

I hope you find something that resonates and allows you to say goodbye in a way that brings comfort and honours your father.

Sending love and healing at this difficult time

blessed be

15 Likes

I am sorry for your loss @Jeannie1. :hugs:

12 Likes

Losing parents, or anyone really, is so hard! I know your dad will love whatever you choose. I’m so very sorry for your loss and I am keeping you lifted up in light!

13 Likes

My condolences on your loss. I’ll be sending you much love and light!

12 Likes

Thank you Megan these are all great suggestions! I will definitely look into all this information!
I like the first one that you gave me, for the funeral rights
Friends and family are often offered a portion of the cremains so that they may find their own way to memorialize the deceased.

• OK really like to emphasize on how *
    Wiccans
    strong text
    Summerlands is described as an abundantly green place that is both peaceful and beautiful.
    I appreciate how summerland is a nice place to be *
    ** also a desire to honor the deceased’s unique wishes for the funeral service.
    *My father did not plan out his death at all so I don’t know what he wanted *

** The Wiccan funeral typically consists of two parts. In the first part of the funeral ritual, the Priestess and Priest conduct the funeral ceremony, and their assistants serve as ushers. The ritual space is cleared of furniture and the deceased’s body is laid out at an altar (if there is a body present). Mourners wait at the outside edges of the space while the Priestess continues to prepare the space and recites a ritual chant. After a recitation by both the Priest and Priestess, mourners are invited to come and speak to the deceased, saying whatever is needed to help along the journey into death. Visitors are not required to speak.**

*This is exactly what I was looking for Megan! I just wanted! Thank you :blush: what a great article *
Jeannie

12 Likes

Thank you Amethyst you all are such a great coven! :purple_heart:
Jeannie

12 Likes

I sorry for your loss @Jeannie1

12 Likes

@Jeannie1 I’m so sorry for you loss :people_hugging: You have some great information & I don’t have anything to add to those, but love & hugs :heart:

12 Likes

Megan
I found this and thought it was interesting for the one “Wiccan Funeral Customs”
With a High Priest or Priestess leading the ceremony, each mourner will speak about or speak directly to the loved one who’s passed away. Finally, the leading Priest or Priestess gives a concluding speech that usually includes a few lines about the Wheel of Life and good wishes for the loved one going into their next life.

I think this was very helpful know I have an idea on how I would like to have my dads ceremony. Maybe I could have everyone speak about him inn a circle and then call out to the elements! I could just do it at a park or something like that!

Also I was thinking about spreading some of his ashes, because then he will be in the earth.
I found this from the article you gave me, “the primary goal of returning the soul’s vessel directly to the earth. And in this way, the body can nourish other natural elements the Wiccans value so much. While going green has been gaining popularity among funeral ceremonies, the Wiccan culture has always regarded this method as an innate part of living in unison with the earth.”
Thank you so much!
Jeannie

13 Likes

Cosmic_Curiosity,
I have alot a egyptian artifacts, that my dad left maybe if I send you a picture you could identify it for me?

Perhaps I could bring some objects that he liked (He has many things) and thank you for helping me cause, I had no idea on what to do. My dad had so many things and I know the things that were very special to him. I am excited now.
Valerie Nicholls

12 Likes

Heav3n,
Thank you Heav3n you are awsome thank you for your love and support! I will never forget you!
Jeannie

11 Likes

AileyGrey,
I know I will miss him so much, and so grateful to have you too as a friend to confined inn!
:pentagram: :rose: :candle:
Jeannie

12 Likes

I am so very sorry for your loss @Jeannie1

12 Likes

Of course. Id be happy to help. Just post or message the photos and ill see if i can identify them for you

13 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss @Jeannie1 :people_hugging:
I think it’s really awesome that you want to honor him with a Wiccan memorial.
Love :heart: and hugs :hugs: always

12 Likes

Oh, Jeannie- I am so sorry for your loss. Sending love, light, and big hugs your way during your time of mourning :people_hugging: :heart:

It sounds like your father had many wonderful interests and was a very worldly soul! I’m glad you’ve found some methods that spread across paths and beliefs to honor him. I’m sure that whatever you choose to do will be wonderful and appreciated :pray:

There’s already some great resources shared here- the only other thing I can think to add is that you don’t need to do everything all in one ceremony, it’s okay to spread things out if you wish it. I know some Buddhist traditions do various rituals, prayers, and mourning for many weeks after passing- some Buddhists do a special rite 49 days after passing to mark reincarnation (source). It’s okay to do different things over time or spread things out- whatever feels right to you.

Lots of love and bigs hugs coming your way, Jeannie- you’re in my thoughts :candle: :heart:

12 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss @Jeannie1
I send you a big hug!

12 Likes

Oh good, I’m glad I was able to help! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkles:

I think the idea you have about everyone being in a circle and speaking, then calling the elements is a beautiful one :spirit_element: and really brings everything together to honor your dad in an earth-centered way.

12 Likes