Winter Warming Soup

Here in Scotland, winter has well and truly set in. Its 1pm and its -2⁰C outside. Definitely time for some warming soup, especially as I wait for the repair man coming to fix my broken boiler: :cold_face::cold_face:

500g sweet potato peeled and roughly chopped
2 carrots - peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion - peeled and roughly chopped
4cm ginger - peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic - crushed
Half tsp of chili flakes or fresh chilli
1.2L veg stock

1. Heat a little oil in a deep pot and add the carrot and onion.
  2. Cook until softened
  3. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli.
  4. Cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
  5. Add the sweet potato and stock.
  6. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
  7. Simmer for 15mins or until potatoes are soft.
  8. Take off the heat and blend with a hand blender.
  9. Serve and enjoy!

Sweet potatoes are rich in fibre and vitamins A and C. They also provide antioxidants to help support a healthy immune system. Onions are a good source of vitamins C and B6 and also contain antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties. Garlic provide even more antioxidents and can boost our immune system. Carrots provide vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, potassium, and vitamin C. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects and aids digestion and relieves nausea. Chilies contain capsaicin, which is associated with various health benefits such as improved metabolism and pain relief.

This is a comfort food that provides warmth and satisfaction. Some of the ingredients in the soup are root vegetables. These are associated with grounding and connecting with the Earth. Eating root vegetables can be seen as a way to support the activation and balance of the root chakra.

Ginger and chili are known for their warming and stimulating properties.They may clear stagnant energy and awaken the senses. They are also a means of connecting with the fire element. These ingredients also boost vitality and energy.

Blessed be

Alan

14 Likes

Sounds like a wonderful soup, guaranteed to warm you up and open up your root chakra! Hope your boiler gets fixed soon!

10 Likes

Oh yeah, this looks good. I’m going to make this. We’re starting to frost up here mixed with our normal dampness, this should warm to the bones. Thanks!

11 Likes

Winter is starting to settle in here as well and I love soups, so I will give it a go in the weekend :stew:

Hope the boiler gets fixed soon!

12 Likes

Winter is making its way here a tad earlier than normal… we had some snow :snowflake: squalls yesterday :exploding_head:

I’m a fan of soups :stew: & stews! Especially warming and/or hearty ones! Thank you :blush: for sharing this with us @Cosmic_Curiosity

8 Likes

Yikes- that’s chilly!

I hope the repair man got there asap and that your boiler is working again! :pray: :fire:

That’s a really good association- this time of year root veggie soups and stews feel so comforting, perhaps it’s because of their ties to the earth! Grounding and connecting work can help to chase off some of those wintertime blues- and in a tasty soup like this, chase off the wintertime chills too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This is a beautiful recipe full of intention- I bet it tastes delicious too! Thank you for sharing, Alan! :stew: :yum: :sparkles:

8 Likes

Question

How many Sweet potatoes :sweet_potato:?

Basically frying the carrot and onions :onion: right !
I’ll try cause all these benefits could aid me right know.
Thank you Alan
Jeannie

9 Likes

About half a kilogram (500g) i just used two big ones.

Yes just to soften the veg. Make sure you use a deep pot so you can add the stock later.

9 Likes

This sounds so good right now, especially with the grounding elements of root vegetables… I’m really wanting to try this especially since I first saw it & have continued to feel under the weather. I think I’m making a list for my husband when he goes to pick up dinner things tomorrow :laughing:

9 Likes

Thank you :blush: Cosmic Curiosity I will take a screenshot and try this! I appreciate it a whole bunch!
Jeannie

9 Likes

Made it!

I added celery ‘cuz it was laying around and red onion. Used miso instead of vegetable broth and sesame oil. So good and warming. Thanks again!

9 Likes

:hugs: @korvo I just bought the ingredients to make it too! I was going to add celery because we have some leftover from turkey pot pie! I’m excited to make it. :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Im so glad that you enjoyed it. I can’t use celery as my partner is allergic to it bit im glad you managed to personalise it a bit.

Hope you enjoy!

8 Likes