Witch Familiars

Was wondering if anyone has a familiar. And does it matter whether you have one or not.

8 Likes

I personally don’t think it matters, and actual familiars according to lore were not pets like people relate them to nowadays. They were more like shape-shifting spirits.

I know most people now say that their dog or cat etc is their familiar, and it’s fun to relate to that. I know animals can be sensitive to energy. I lovingly say that my poodle is my familiar because of how he came into my life and follows me around. But he’s also a big baby and I’m just his momma. :heart:

9 Likes

I don’t have a familiar, or that I’m aware of :thinking: & it’s more up to you on the imlortance of one.

@SilverBear did a piece on them for us…

Familiars and A Pet

And I found a couole of other topics on the also:
:cat2: Familiar Spirits and Power Animals: What is the difference?

Best tips on how to find your familiar?

I hope these help you! :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Hello @amelia4!

I think whether or not to have a familiar is up to the witch- it’s a decision that should be based on your path, needs, space, and availability to care/support a familiar :frog: :owl: :rat:

That being said, there are quite a few ways that people define “familiars”, so I should clarify that I use the same definition that @Melora_Fae and @Susurrus shared- that familiars and pets are not the same thing and serve very different roles within the practice.

I don’t personally have a familiar, but I do have quite a few furry friends who (sometimes!) like to join me while I meditate or do spellwork :cat: :sparkles: I think that pets (companions) can be very important and helpful presences in our practices and lives without being familiars (entities there to serve)- but again, that’s just my personal view on the topic! :grinning:

Thanks for opening up a great discussion! Blessed be :heart:

6 Likes

Personally, I don’t think it matters. I don’t have a pet or a familiar and I haven’t noticed a lack.

5 Likes

I don’t have a familiar. But i have a cat who comes and lays on me everytime i do anything witchy.

5 Likes

I dont have a familiar but i do have a dog that likes to join in from time to time in any spell work I am doing.

5 Likes

My pupper Alphie is always with me when I am in my space & doing anything spiritually or witchy… he likes to rest his head on my upper thigh or knee when I am sitting doing things. Almost like he is paying attention to my draws or whatever it is I may be doing at the time :laughing:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.