šŸ““ Year of the Witch by Temperance Alden

Welcoming in @IrisW, @Marsha, and @iambecky- I hope you all enjoy Year of the Witch ! :open_book: :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Looking forward to sharing with you all <3 Blessed Be <3

5 Likes

The Amazon man has just delivered my copy and Iā€™m excited just to have read the back cover!

Iā€™m going to dig in properly tomorrow as I have my Self-Dedication Ceremony tonight :slight_smile: :sparkler:

5 Likes

I guess I better order this book!!!

5 Likes

Check in time! :grin: How is everyone enjoying Year of the Witch so far?

Also a warm welcome to @AliceInWonderdab who has been added to the reading list.

Happy reading! :books::hearts:

6 Likes

I havenā€™t finished the book yet but I have found both good and bad things Iā€™d like to share:

In my opinion, the best parts of the book have to do with the authorā€™s personal experiences as a Witch influencer (having a large social media presence) and her views of the Craft in the 21st century.

The Good:

• She shares some great insights about the concepts of "plastic witchcraft" and the ā€œwitchy aestheticā€ that you wouldnā€™t find in many beginner books. For example, she explains that these terms are sometimes used in a condescending way that belittle othersā€™ spiritual practices. Also, enjoying the aesthetic and having lots of possessions doesnā€™t make you any less of a Witch.

• Another thing I found interesting was that most of her followers/students ask her about the use of Cannabis in Witchcraft. With broad legalization underway in the US, I expect this topic to be more openly discussed. I wish she would go more into detail about it as itā€™s certainly an interesting subject.

The Not-So-Good:

• After having read The Supermarket Sabbats by Michael Furie, this book feels a bit underwhelming when it comes to the Wheel of the Year. By the name, I expected ā€œYear of the Witchā€ to go a bit more into detail, or to bring some new ideas for celebrating the sabbats. In this aspect, it feels like just another beginner witchesā€™ book.

• The book has a section called ā€œClimate Cyclesā€ that ends with this paragraph:

I think itā€™s irresponsible to throw that in there without any context or further explanation. Milankovitch cycles are just one factor when it comes to the Earthā€™s temperature. These arguments have been defused years ago and I really donā€™t know what led the author to include that in the book. For those interested, hereā€™s a data-based graph on what causes climate change, with Milankovitch cycles factored in.

I look forward to seeing what everyone else reading this book thinks about it!

6 Likes

So far so good!

4 Likes

You bring up the same point(s) with the bot so good that I had actually pondered in regards to climate change. I mean Iā€™m a powerful witch but I donā€™t think I can just change it

4 Likes

I am halfway through and Iā€™ve quite enjoyed it so far. I do agree with @Francisco though that was a point that kind of jolted me a little as well, weather changes due to climate change aside I think itā€™s important to remember that living more eco-friendly isnā€™t just about the weather, itā€™s about the damage we cause to wildlife and ecosystems. Sustainability comes under the green banner as well and that is always beneficial to mother earth whether or not the axis will change eventually anyway. I do like the authors take on the Global aspect of practising the craft and making a wheel of the year that reflects how you approach your craft :heartpulse: Blessed Be :heartpulse:

7 Likes

Hi all,
I thought Iā€™d post that I am not finishing the book, there were just somethingā€™s I couldnā€™t connect with and lost interest in it.
I hate stopping halfway through on books but I also hate forcing myself to read something Iā€™m not into.
Happy Reading,

8 Likes

I hope you can find something that you resonate with & can learn from. My book has nothing to do with my craft & I find that parts of it read like a manual or timeline, so itā€™s also hard to read at times. I like learning about the history of my little island though.

I will talk to you soon! I completely understand where you are at now. :hugs:

6 Likes

I feel you ā€“ thereā€™s something about this book that doesnā€™t quite sit well with me, but I havenā€™t quite figured out what :thinking: Parts of it are very well-written and I resonate with, but the majority of it has been kind of off-putting. Hopefully I figure out what it is about it thatā€™s making me feel so ā€œmehā€ by the time itā€™s time to post my final review/thoughts on it so I can see if others felt the same way about it as me, or what other people felt about those parts and why because Iā€™m fascinated about that kind of stuff :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly it for me too. Parts reeled me in, and others dropped me flat.
Iā€™ll follow still to see how others resonated with it too.
Have a good week.:grin:

8 Likes

You too! Blessed be :heart:

7 Likes

Same here. Iā€™ve loved parts of it and itā€™s made me think and question things. Other parts haveā€¦ I donā€™t know whether irritated me is right exactly, but itā€™s close.

8 Likes

Iā€™m so glad Iā€™m not the only one, I was kind of forcing myself for the last few days there. Itā€™s not because the book has bad content i just think that most of it is stuff I already have in books and what Iā€™ve learned from the site and all of you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I do still like the ā€œmake the wheel of the year your ownā€ aspect of the book, there was a lot of different cycles covered though and I think that less is more sometimes sp things donā€™t get stressful or confusing :heartpulse:

7 Likes

In that case I usually skip the chapter and jump to the next, or keep skipping pages until I find something I connect with. Works most of the timeā€¦ sometimes :laughing:

The thing about this book however is that it doesnā€™t flow very well. The topics sometimes feel disconnected, and as said above itā€™s doesnā€™t go very deep into each idea.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve actually been reading two others sporadically so I think Iā€™ll edit one of those on to the list.

7 Likes

Is it too late to join book club with a week left? I bought this book on Amazon back in January because of a YouTuber review on it, and I put it down (donā€™t remember why) and havenā€™t picked it back up since the night I downloaded it.

Maybe I need to take the book club approach of :wine_glass: and :cheese: to make it better going by some of the later comments in the post! :thinking: :laughing:

Time to catch up! :clinking_glasses: :open_book:

8 Likes

LOL that reminds me of a quote ā€œIn wine thereā€™s truthā€.

Itā€™s not too late to join but this topic will be open for just 1 week more!

Orā€¦ you can just add your book to the next reading which will start next month. :spiral_calendar:

8 Likes