Yule Pinecones 🌲

So, I was looking for an activity to do related to Yule. I came to find wish pine cones.

What you’ll need:
•pinecone :evergreen_tree:
•paper :page_facing_up:
•matches/lighter :fire:
•ribbon/string

What you’ll do:
Write a wish or something to manifest for the holidays on the paper.
Roll the paper up and slide it in between the pinecone pieces (idk what they’re called! :sweat_smile:). Hand it up on a tree or decorate your altar.
On Yule, take a lighter or match and burn it, releasing it into the Universe.

This is simple and easy to do. I thought that this woube nice to share with everyone :blush:

30 Likes

@Christina4 I love this… I love everything about it. What a great way to manifest for the holidays…

… and as always - you threw me a bone and I had to chase it. LOL

The seed cone usually matures in 2 (rarely 3) years. It is comprised of woody cone scales with subtending bracts spirally arranged around a central axis. The exposed part of a closed cone is called the apophysis. The umbo is the protuberance on the apophysis.

So the SCALES protect the seed BRACTS but don’t ask me to translate that last bit…but I guess when the cone is tight the only part of the SCALE that is exposed is called the APOPHYSIS…

May I suggest that they might be removed from the tree prior to lighting, unless you really want to compost your tree rapidly. :slight_smile: I do think they would make great fire starters!

19 Likes

Thanks for this! Although I’m afraid it would smoke up my apartment too much.

12 Likes

That is a great idea for making Yule ornaments and a beautiful tradition, I will try it as I can burn them in the hearth :fire:

Thanks for sharing, Christina!

And thanks for that extra information, Berta as well :+1:

14 Likes

Yes, I love more info. Thanks bc I couldn’t find much on this topic. Pinecones, yes but not the Yule Pinecones :blush:

11 Likes

Would you be able to do it outside? Or like @Francisco recommended, to flush the papers. I’ll be flushing them.

11 Likes

I don’t think I can burn anything around here, not outside. I don’t trust myself to lay a fire and can’t really drag my caldron outside to the front door to burn a pine cone, that would look weird. I may flush the papers, if I can be sure they’ll flush. That’s a good idea! :purple_heart:

11 Likes

Ooh I love this!
I love the scent of burning pinecones :heart_eyes: that takes me back to ‘glamping’ in Poland as a child and burning pinecones on the bonfire at night… but yeah no chance I’d get away with that at home :sweat_smile:
I reckon writing intentions on loo roll to flush is probably safest?
Or maybe burying the pinecone somewhere special?

12 Likes

:heart_eyes: Oh I’m going to definitely try this. Lucky enough I have a Pine tree in my backyard that has graciously sprinkled the yard with pinecones. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

:rofl: it may look weird, but it serves its purpose well!

I haven’t burned any pinecones lately, but I did see this I think last year. I’m in Florida now, though, and don’t have a fireplace because…well…there really isn’t a need here. If I can find some pinecones, I’ll burn them in my cauldron! Otherwise, wishes written on paper would work just as well.

9 Likes

Such a lovely idea for meaningful Yule decorations! Thanks for sharing, @Christina4 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::evergreen_tree:

9 Likes

True, but I may get arrested for causing a fire. Orange maybe the New Black but it would look horrible on me.

9 Likes

:rofl: that would make the two of us.

7 Likes

Oh I love this

10 Likes

Yule is right around the corner so I’m bringing this back- it is such a great craft for the season! :evergreen_tree: :sparkles::blush:

9 Likes

Oh, that’s awesome! Thank you! I just started collecting a few pinecones. My son comes home from the store with a bag full. If he knew for me, it’s not the same as foraging them yourself. But i know he had my best interest at heart.

9 Likes

That is so kind of him to think of you and bring you back some treasures! :evergreen_tree: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Do you think you’ll use them for Yule Pinecones, or perhaps another craft or decoration? :blush:

The trees here on the coast are loaded with pinecones- I’ve never seen anything like it! I really want to take one to bring back, but I’m pretty sure anything that could spread non-native plants would be a big no-no at border control :sweat_smile:

I can’t take any pinecones for crafting, but at least I can take the pictures home with me!

To everyone lucky with pinecones at home, blessed crafting! :sparkles::grinning:

10 Likes

Sorry you cant bring the pinecones with you.
I will be making the Yule pinecones and as a different craft to make with the kids. I still don’t know yet.

7 Likes

I’m planning to make a Yule wreath from pine cones. I’ve collected so many and there’s so much more to pick up! When its windy it rains pine cones here :evergreen_tree:
I saw a few videos with pine cone ideas on you tube :wink:

And… @BryWisteria I think you could put some in the oven to stop any seeds or bugs from coming home with you. But still depends on what customs says!!

:butterfly:

9 Likes

I may steal this idea I love it so much! I use my husband’s smoker for outdoor burning. It has a fire box on the side that I can use. I use our old smokey when traveling. It is perfect size for most things.

8 Likes