Agate Slices - Dyed

Good afternoon. I have a pouch of dyed agate slices. I’m not sure what to do with them or where to put them. I don’t want to try & make jewelry because I’m afraid of breaking them putting a hole in them. They are too small for coasters, but they would look cute as keychains or jewelry if I could find a way to put a hole in them for the string/chain. Does anyone know of any other ideas for them? They are really pretty!

I got them as a gift & at the same time found out that there is another stone store about 20 minutes away from me! They may have more than just crystals, but that is where the slices & an Epidote necklace came from. The necklace is gorgeous too.

11 Likes

Krissie
Those are very beautiful you can always put them in your bathroom and put them in a tile setting.Where did you get them that’s a good size bag? Do you have a good place for me to go? I just go on e-bay
Thanks
Blessed be

8 Likes

@Jeannie1 that’s a good idea! It’s a decent bag the slices are big enough for like coasters but putting them in a dish sounds like a great idea to show some off in different rooms.

My husband got them for me for Christmas. He went to a local store by his work, but I can have him find out the name and if they have a website. I will send him a text about it now!

6 Likes

Those are nice. Maybe if you have a stone smith in the area he or she will be able to tell you if they can be drilled for jewelry.

6 Likes

There is a way to wrap wire around the agate slice without making a hole!

We had a discussion about wrapping wire for jewelry a while back too :gem:

Here’s a video on how it’s done:

9 Likes

You can get small candle holders and glue them on the slices. Or charms for jewelry, others pieces of the agate. Glue a few together and make them into something else.

7 Likes

Beautiful treasures, @Susurrus! :heart_eyes: Francisco beat me to the wire-wrapping suggestion- that’s a great (and lovely!) way to make them into jewelry without drilling holes. You could also glue them to a metal plate, and then punch a hole in the plate to turn it into jewelry :+1:

Resin is another way you could use them- there are plenty of videos on YouTube about crafts and decorations with resin! My mother has been experimenting with it lately and has been having a lot of fun making resin seaglass decorations :ocean: :blush:

7 Likes

Oh! Thank you for all of the suggestions. I don’t know why wire wrapping slipped my mind because I have jewelry wire in different colors here from my crafting ways. @Francisco thank you for the video, I am going to look into that and then try it maybe this weekend.

I have been looking at resin kits at Michael’s! I never thought to put the agate slices in it to make something! Great idea too! Maybe I will look into that because I have enough for a few projects in this bag. @BryWisteria I have some resin in my craft supplies also and I believe the epoxy? Maybe I’m not sure. Someone gave me the starter without everything that I needed to start. It was the thought though. I held onto it because I wasn’t sure if I would ever use it. I’m glad that I did!

@Salamander I really like the candle holder idea too. I was just thinking that I need new candle holders for my altar. If I could make them they would be that much more personal to my craft! So thank you very much for that idea.

I’m so happy I have a few things to do with them & videos for learning something new. Maybe I can finally craft something, it’s been so long, at least since December because of my hands. I think I could get my daughter Peanut to help me too!

6 Likes

I’m happy for you too, Krissie! :blush: I’m sure you’ll find some fun crafts to use the agate pieces for. And I bet your daughter would have a blast helping you make something cool! :sparkles: Have fun- and feel free to send pictures of whatever you decide to make! :star_struck:

5 Likes

@BryWisteria there will be pictures! I just looked at the bag & I’m like oooo that one would look good wrapped and those I could put in resin & oooo… I’m so bad when I find a craft that I want to learn. Michael’s is in a plaza with Wal-Mart & Shaw’s Grocery Store & a couple of others so I will be going there at some point today to find some resin molds. I have different colored jewelry wire already, so I am excited to try it. There will definitely be pictures of what I come up with.

5 Likes

My first wrapped slice, I definitely need practice on the top. I used a purple slice with blue wire.

@BryWisteria @Francisco @Amethyst @Jeannie1 @Salamander

7 Likes

Those are Beautiful @Susurrus !
I know with your crafting talent they’ll be even more gorgeous!

5 Likes

I just got back from Michael’s… I bought some different colored wire & some resin casting molds. I already had some resin at my house from a project last year. So I’m excited to see what I can make with that too. The pieces aren’t too big so maybe I can make a nice trinket box or keychain with them! I’m going to work on them this weekend. So I will post updates as I go.

6 Likes

The greenish blue one has Agate slices in it. The others were set up by my daughter after school. Now we just have to let them set for about 12 hours before we try to take them out of the molds.

I have molds for jewelry & keychains coming too in kits. I’m so excited about this.

While I wait, I’m going to try to do so.e more wire wrapping!

6 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

They are really nice @Susurrus I am in love with these. I do agree that making jewellery with these dyed agate slices would be nice. Very nice gift.

6 Likes

This is real nice for your first wrapped slice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I have made 3 wrapped ones & I have given 2 away as gifts already. Tomorrow I am going to go buy some more slices & see if I can find different sizes for the resin & for jewelry.

Thank you so much @NickWick

6 Likes

Sounds real good to me🥰

6 Likes