Altar Cloth Suggestions

I have that cloth too! I have it folded up in my drawer where I keep witchy things for my altar & spell work. such a nice altar! I break mine down after each time so there are only a few things on it when I’m not doing things.

I don’t have any tattoos related to my practice. But I do have my back done. I think if I ever got another tattoo I would have to think about it and add something unique to what is already there.

6 Likes

@Susurrus believe me it wasn’t an intentional thing. I just was called to have that particular celtic knot on my body somewhere. Guess it was because it was for my protection? Still haven’t figured it out. Later on I will be adding the names of my kids inside the circle.

7 Likes

Oh, that’s a great idea for the names. I wanted to put my kid’s names on my back with my tattoo, but I haven’t found a font/style that I like and that will complement my back piece. I really overthink these things. :rofl:

7 Likes

Helllo All,

My altar cloth is made from an old dress that got a little too small for me. It turned out pretty nice. It ended up being about a 35 inch square in the end. It was hard to cut it up but it didn’t fit anyway! I love it on my altar now because I get to see it all the time now :smiley:

12 Likes

What a great idea!

5 Likes

Mine is a wall hanging that I bought without having a use for at the time. I thought it was pretty and now I have a use for it.

10 Likes

I am really loving the altars, they are so beautiful @Sarafeena_Sage and @SharonD the altar cloth is very pretty very creative of you.

8 Likes

Hi I saw your post. In case you didn’t get your wax out yet here is an easy way to do it. Place some paper towels under the cloth and a few over it, run a hot iron over the paper towel a few times. Replace the top and bottom towels as needed until the wax is gone. It works pretty well. Hope it helps

7 Likes

I suppose altar cloths are a really personal decision. There is some really pretty fabric and you can either cut it just like it is, hem it or use sewing glue to hem it. Easy peasy and so inexpensive. I like fabric with stars, moons, and planets, astrology, Tarot cards, symbols, etc. The Halloween collections are out now in fabric stores. I was thinking about running up a special one for Samhain and one for Yule, maybe the seasons (fall leaves, maybe) or other sabbats. The altar cloth I have right now is from a panel by Northcott from their Cosmic Universe collection

9 Likes

@paintmeagalaxy Before I had to pack up most of my altar to put it on storage I used a crushed velvet curtain valance as the main altar cloth and I am currently at a stage where I swap out different color bandanas and scarves and have even went as far as to use one of my daughters baby blankets I’ve saved for her once just because it was the ONLY thing I had that fit into the color scheme of the sabbat I was honoring and just a couple of days ago I used 2 cloth thanksgiving napkins because they fit the harvest theme of lammas. I’ve seen my husband take the shirt off his back and lay it down to work on even (though that’s a little much for my liking). Your altar only has to make sense to you. You are the one who has to feel comfortable and invited into your space. It doesn’t have to meet everyone elses standard if you are comfortable in it because their path is not your path. When I’m not preparing to move and practicing from my travel altar my altar takes up an entire wall in my room and some might say it’s too big and it’s cluttered chaos

This is my lammas altar from a few days ago. True to form even though it is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller, still kinda cluttered when compared to some of the others like @Francisco (I hope you don’t mind me putting that little detail out there like that. If you do I am sooooo sorry). But his path isn’t mine nor mine his. So at the end of the day the only “Rule” you should apply to your altar is not using anything that doesn’t give you the warm and fuzzies and that you aren’t drawn to. magic, to me and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, is about stepping out of the “normal” rules that apply to every day life to make our dreams come true. If the whole point is to step out of the box of rules to accomplish great things then why are we all worried about all these tiny little rules like what goes where in our spaces? Rules take all the fun out of magic. They turn it into a second job pretty much.

That’s my two cents. I’m sorry it’s super long I’ll step down from my soap box now. :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::blush:

10 Likes

I agree…i often use satin scarfs with design patterns on them from the dollar General. When i see a pattern i really like i go ahead and buy them. They are literally 1.99 lol. Witch on a budget lol. For now I’ve been very minimal and have not place an altar cloth. Simply put my tools and candles on my wooden table.

Blessed be

6 Likes

Beautiful!!

6 Likes

Love the purple :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Hi @crystal24 ! Usually that would work with regular cloths but mine are crocheted and can’t withstand the heat of an iron :woman_shrugging:t3: I did get it out though! But thank you for the suggestion :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That’s a really pretty cloth @mary25 I love the color!

7 Likes

Your welcome. Glad you got the wax out

7 Likes

I’ve gotten some of mine from the grocery store. And don’t forget to look at Walmart. Never know what you might find in there!

7 Likes

I still have the “dish” towel that I originally started using last year. I still use it in my practice. Currently, on my altar, I have a green altar cloth with the Tree of Life & the Sun & Moon on each side of the tree. The design is in gold. I got it from my subscription box. The other one that I have received from there is purple & has the Wheel of the Year on it with the Sabbats. I have to tidy up my altar. I have acquired a couple of new things that don’t really have homes right now. So once it is picked up, I will add a picture of the cloth for those that haven’t seen it prior to now.

7 Likes

@walter thank you :grin:

7 Likes

I hadn’t thought of it that way but it makes sense. I do like some rules (like no harm to none) but those are ethics more than procedure. You are right – it’s not fun if you can’t tune into your own spirit and creativity. Your altar is so amazing!

6 Likes

@mary25 absolutely. I don’t mean to discredit the rules such as the law of 3 or harm to none I just mean that part of the “magic” of magic is the childlike joy you get from having fun with it. Giving my altar a makeover for sabbats is like the excitement I get from rearranging the furniture in my house or giving the walls a fresh coat of paint. It gives you the feeling of something new and you want to spend more time there. And thank you. I hope to have my “permanent” altar set back up real soon and get out of the travel altar box that I’ve been working from lately

8 Likes