Pronunciation: AHN-sooz

Translation: A god, mouth

Modern English: Ans

Rune Number: 4

Polarity: Male

Color Association(s): Dark Blue

Elemental Association(s): Air, Ether

Deity Association(s): Odin

Herbal Association(s): Fly agric * :warning: The fly agaric mushroom is probably what most people think of when they think of mushroom: :mushroom: But despite its popularity as the signature “mascot” of all mushrooms, it is an extremely dangerous and poisonous mushroom (Thank you TheTravelWitch for the warning!) :warning: .

Tree Association(s): Ash

Astrological Association(s): Mercury

Calendar Days: August 13 - 29

Chakras: Crown, Throat

Tarot Card(s): The Emperor, The Hanged Man

Magickal Uses: Make note of animals today, Listen before responding, Think about words before they are spoken. Discernment in a complex situation, enhance magical workings, success in dialogue or public speaking, success in examinations, inspiration, divine communication. You can use the energy to help you with breathing techniques to bring clarity of mind. Can also be found in chants & incantations that bring about altered consciousness, helping you find wisdom on the spiritual plane.

Overall Meanings/Keyword(s): Inspiration, Enthusiasm, Synthesis, Transformation, Words

Find your ears before you search for words. Mental stability, communion, inspiration, listening, words, elders, conversation, order, answers, exploration, principle of divine conscious power as embodied by Odin, synthetic consciousness. Listening to oneself or one’s inner voice. Breath or ancestral sovereign god. (Odin)

Brightstave/Upright:

Messages, advice, information may be coming from external sources, or you may be being asked to pay attention to messages coming from your higher self. Also concerned with divine wisdom & communication with higher planes as well as mundane messages & knowledge. Be extra open to signals from the universe. Pay attention to animals crossing your path, cloud imagery, numerical messages & other synchronicities. Potential for prophecies, revelations, or other messages from your allies in the Otherworld. A capacity for spiritual growth & new insights.

Merkstave/Reversed:

Misunderstanding, manipulation by others, boredom, bad advice. Warning against being taken in by trickery or deceit by an older person – or anyone new that you encounter. Without proper understanding may lead to delusion, uncomfortable situations may be in the offing as tests or catalysts to new understanding. Beware of attempts by other to manipulate you. Danger may come through as misuse of knowledge or from wholesome influences.

Meditation: :ansuz: Ansuz Meditation - Magin Rose

Sources:

Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

Kristina, Jillian. “Wild Runes Deck - Tamed Wild.” Nashville Metropolitan Area, Nashville, 2020. Wild Runes Deck

Simonds, Josh. The Beginner’s Guide to Runes: Divination and Magic with the Elder Futhark Runes . Rockridge Press, 2020.

Thorsson, Edred. Big Book of Runes and Rune Magic: A Complete Guide to Interpreting Runes, Rune Lore, and the Art of Runecasting . Red Wheel/Weiser, 2018.

9 Likes

@Susurrus I’m digging all these Runes that you post, thanks!

5 Likes

Thank you, the next 1 is Raidho. So I have to see what I have already & what I need. I forgot my emojis too. :joy:

6 Likes

This is really interesting! :star_struck:

330px-Amanita_muscaria_3_vliegenzwammen_op_rij
Picture from Wikipedia: Amanita muscaria (fly agaric)

The fly agaric mushroom is probably what most people think of when they think of mushroom: :mushroom:. But despite it’s popularity as the signature “mascot” of all mushrooms, it is an extremely dangerous and poisonous mushroom.

I think that ties in really well with the reversed meaning of Ansuz:

I think they go together really well! :star_struck:

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom, @Susurrus- Ansuz was a delight to learn more about! :heart::mushroom:

6 Likes

Thank you for the information about the mushroom! I had no idea, I will add that to the association! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Thank you for the info. Runes have been a part of my practice since I began. I’m still learning them all and your information is very helpful. :slight_smile: Looking forward to more.

7 Likes

Thank you again @Susurrus for the time and work you put into these posts! I look forward to each one :heart:

My rustic and handmade bronze Ansuz rune.
20220112_173626

Kat

6 Likes

You are welcome, I enjoy working with them & their meanings. I draw 1 each day for guidance. I haven’t done the meditation yet today, but I like the woman’s voice & how she expresses the meaning with visualization.

@theloneblkwolf right now I am going through the Elder Futhark runes so I’m posting them in their order every Tuesday. Then I will move on to a couple of common layouts & astrology.

5 Likes

After learning a bit (and really just a bit- there’s so much out there when it comes to mushrooms!) about mushrooms last year I get excited whenever I recognize one haha :joy:

It was really cool to see that this mushroom corresponds with the rune! Especially because I don’t think any tarot cards correspond with a mushroom (at least not that I’m aware of). And not only does it associate, I really do think the meanings tie in really well with each other :+1:

Thanks again, Siofra- this is a beautiful post and you did a great job putting it together! :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you very much, I enjoy putting them together for the forum!

4 Likes