Books about Gaia

Hey there everyone! I’m looking for books about the goddess Gaia and can’t find a thing on Amazon. There are Pagan Portal books from everyone from Aphrodite to Zeus but not one for Gaia. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks, people! You’re wonderful!

6 Likes

It’s too bad that Pagan Portal doesn’t have a book on Gaia. They really should! :confused:

Assuming that you are looking for Gaia the Greek goddess and not Gaianism the earth-centered modern spiritual approach, here are a couple of interesting places to start by Theoi.com:

I haven’t found any books specifically about Gaia like in that collection but there are some good Greek mythology books that you should still check out:

6 Likes

Thanks for the links @Francisco! It’s a shame I can’t find a book. I read that book on Hellenistic Paganism but it didn’t have anything on her at all, which I found weird. Looks like Google will have to do me for research, for now. Thanks again!

6 Likes

While not specifically about Gaia, she is mentioned in

The Greek Myths. Stories of the Greek Cods and Heroes Vividly Retold by Kathryn Watherfield (Author), Robin Waterfield (Author)

I own it on Google Play Books but there is a kindle edition, too.

5 Likes

Thanks so much, @praecog29! It’s gone on my wish list! Sounds just right up my alley.

5 Likes

Apparently Gaia isn’t very popular with book publishers! :laughing:

I thought maybe you can give a try to the sources in the wikipedia entry for Gaia? These must at least mention her!

• Kerenyi, Karl, The Gods of the Greeks 1951.
  • Ruck, Carl A.P. and Danny Staples, The World of Classical Myth , 1994.
  • Fontenrose, Joseph, Python: A Study of Delphic Myth and its Origins, Berkeley: University of California Press, 1959; reprint 1980.
3 Likes

Thanks, @Francisco! I’ve got the first ones of those on my wish list but that last one is too rich for my blood! I need to win the lottery so I can feed all my obsessions correctly.

3 Likes