Books about Gaia

Hey there everyone! I’m looking for books about the goddess Gaia and can’t find a thing on Amazon. There are Pagan Portal books from everyone from Aphrodite to Zeus but not one for Gaia. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks, people! You’re wonderful!

8 Likes

It’s too bad that Pagan Portal doesn’t have a book on Gaia. They really should! :confused:

Assuming that you are looking for Gaia the Greek goddess and not Gaianism the earth-centered modern spiritual approach, here are a couple of interesting places to start by Theoi.com:

Here on Spells8: Gaia Symbols, Correspondences, Myth & Offerings :infinite_roots:

I haven’t found any books specifically about Gaia like the PP collection but there are some good Greek mythology books that you should still check out:

8 Likes

Thanks for the links @Francisco! It’s a shame I can’t find a book. I read that book on Hellenistic Paganism but it didn’t have anything on her at all, which I found weird. Looks like Google will have to do me for research, for now. Thanks again!

7 Likes

While not specifically about Gaia, she is mentioned in

The Greek Myths. Stories of the Greek Cods and Heroes Vividly Retold by Kathryn Watherfield (Author), Robin Waterfield (Author)

I own it on Google Play Books but there is a kindle edition, too.

6 Likes

Thanks so much, @praecog29! It’s gone on my wish list! Sounds just right up my alley.

6 Likes

Apparently Gaia isn’t very popular with book publishers! :laughing:

I thought maybe you can give a try to the sources in the wikipedia entry for Gaia? These must at least mention her!

• Kerenyi, Karl, The Gods of the Greeks 1951.
  • Ruck, Carl A.P. and Danny Staples, The World of Classical Myth , 1994.
  • Fontenrose, Joseph, Python: A Study of Delphic Myth and its Origins, Berkeley: University of California Press, 1959; reprint 1980.
5 Likes

Thanks, @Francisco! I’ve got the first ones of those on my wish list but that last one is too rich for my blood! I need to win the lottery so I can feed all my obsessions correctly.

5 Likes

I found this Pin:

From Pinterest it will take you to this site with the information about Gaia

6 Likes

Come to think of it, material on Gaia is very sparse… which is odd considering she was the birth of the Titanic pantheon and by extension, the Olympian Pantheon. Even myths regarding Her are few. The only ones I can think of are the birth of the Titans, and the Birth of Aphrodite. But the latter was more centered around Chronos overthrowing his father Uranus. Gaia didn’t play a very large part. I’m going to bookmark this topic to see if more information comes up! I’m curious about this as well!

6 Likes

@Velle & @Amethyst (If you’re still interested or haven’t seen the topic in a while):

I found some other references to her in other posts throughout the forum with a quick search:

:earth_americas: Worshipping Gaia, the Mother Earth Goddess

Gaia :earth_americas: (Films, Shows, Classes)

Honoring our Mother Earth, Gaia(Weekly Challenge, Catch up!)

I hope these help you out also! :hugs:

6 Likes

OOh, thank you for the pin! And I’ll have to check out that website, thank you!

Yeah, I thought it odd that there aren’t that many books on Gaia. I mean, she’s everywhere after all!

Oh I’m interested all right! Thank you for the links!

6 Likes

You’re very welcome! Have a great night!

5 Likes

My Gaia statue.

Atabey, Taínos representation of Mother Earth

She goes by different names according to the place in which she’s worshiped and recognized. Gaia for the Greeks, Atabey for the Taínos, Pachamama for the Andean, Unci Maka for native americans and it goes on and on. No need of a book on wanting to worship her, because the earth is her, also the energy that makes everything to be.

8 Likes

To me, that makes it even more important to write a book on Her. She’s so prevalent, it’s important to honor Her.

6 Likes