Botanic Garden Adventures! 💐

Warm greetings to all!

I had the chance this weekend to escape the city and get some much-needed nature time :national_park:. I found a new Botanic Garden and spent hours exploring the grounds- the Green Witch in me was thrilled! :laughing::green_heart:

Everyone is always so generous with their beautiful pictures (especially the other week in the Earth Witch Challenge!). I thought I would love to share some pictures of nature and flowers back with all of you :blush::white_flower:

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and are enjoying some nice weather- wherever in the world you may be! :sunflower: Sending lots of love from Poland :love_letter:

Blessed Be! :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

What beautiful pictures. Sounds like you had a great time! Good, you deserve it. Thanks for sharing! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

You’re so kind, thank you @Amethyst! :sunflower::heart: And you’re very welcome- I’m glad I was able to share a bit of flowery happiness with everyone! :blush: I know from living in the big city- it’s so nice to see pictures of nature :national_park:

2 Likes

Wow that’s such a lovely place! You look so happy! I scrolled through the pics so slowly and loving each one! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome @BryWisteria! I appreciate the chance to see the outdoors!

1 Like

What beautiful pictures. Like @christina4 I scrolled the pictures slowly. The colors in nature are magnificent. Everything has its hue and vibrancy. :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

ty for sharing @BryWisteria, looks so peaceful. Great pics

2 Likes

Beautiful pictures! What kind of plant is the one with the big purple leaves? I’ve never seen that before :astonished: :hibiscus:

2 Likes

Gorgeous pictures I wish we had parks like that here in my area! Absolutely stunning!

1 Like

You are very welcome- I’m so happy you enjoyed the pics @christina4, @ana6, @Katt, @christine4, and @Susurrus! :framed_picture: :blush: I was able to catch some lucky nice weather that day, I’m glad the colors and vibrancy showed through in the pictures! :sun_with_face:

The sixth picture is of a plant called Oxalis (“Purple Shamrock”). I always called it the “purple butterfly plant” because the leaves open during the day and look like many beautiful butterflies :butterfly: :laughing:

There is a full guide if you are interested on Our House Plants!

About the Purple Shamrock

Three is often the magic number when it comes to Oxalis . The most common species grown as a houseplant is Oxalis triangularis which has three common names, False Shamrock , Purple Shamrock and Love Plant .

Purple Shamrock house plant

It has three (normally) purple heart shaped leaves, which each have three sides, that sit symmetrically to one another at the end of every petiole (or “stem”). The overall effect is that they end up looking like a trio of butterflies joined together by their noses. Other species are similar in shape, except they tend to have green leaves instead.

The plant is also a little bit magic, because it can revive itself from the dead! Rather than being intrinsically linked with the soil like many other plants, Oxalis is linked to the soil by its tiny bulbs.

[From Our House Plants: Oxalis]

I gave an oxalis plant to my mother as a gift many years ago and she still has it- growing both outside and in pots indoors! :seedling: It seems to be pretty hardy and strong, as well as being beautiful and romantic :butterfly:

3 Likes

That is a beautiful plant, I wish we had it around here, it would look lovely in my front garden against the house! I have all kinds of flowers there. I will have to see if they have it at any nurseries around here or maybe my landscaping friend can find one for me!

1 Like

I love this plant, I will have to try and find one.

2 Likes

True, it does look like butterflies! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And how cool that it can revive itself from the dead! With my unfortunately non-existent green thumb, that is exactly the kind of plant I need :joy:

2 Likes

@Katt, the grocery store the next big town over, used to sell them at St. Patrick’s day, them and the regular Shamrocks. If you can’t find them now, keep an eye out then.

1 Like

@Susurrus, If you ever find yourself at the Seed and Stem in Worcestor, MA- that’s where I bought the Oxalis I gave as a gift to my mother! There are several garden centers on the Cape that may have them, although maybe not at this time of year (spring tends to be the big season for the garden centers). But keep an eye out! I hope that you and @Katt and @christine4 are able to find it somewhere- it is a fun and hardy plant that catches people’s eyes! :butterfly: Good luck! :shamrock::+1:

1 Like

@BryWisteria I do have neighbors that are from the Worcester area, they come here for their summer vacations. I live near a Mahoney’s, that’s one of the biggest garden centers in this part of the Cape and I have a landscaper friend that frequents the nurseries and I just thought of this, my husband works for a large landscaping place as the fleet mechanic! They have a huge nursery and get the plants fromall over the place! I’m sure I will find it soon enough, I can wait until spring. I did find out that the plant is actually from bulbs, I found the bulbs on Amazon. Some of them were pretty pricey, but I did find 10 for $7.99 if all else fails.

1 Like

That’s awesome, @Susurrus! :two_hearts: It sounds like you will be able to find yourself some Oxalis one way or another- it’s a great plant and I’m sure you will have fun with it in your garden! :seedling::grin:

2 Likes

I’m really excited to put them in the front of my house when the time comes. I love having different colors and plants in my flower garden against the house. Which reminds me that I have to transplant a couple of bleeding hearts to the front, they didn’t do well in the very front yard, it wasn’t enough shade for them. I remember when we had them in by the front porch they were huge! I don’t remember why we moved them.

2 Likes

It sounds like you will have a rainbow of beautiful plants in your front yard, @Susurrus! :rainbow::bouquet: Bleeding Hearts are always lovely- they’ll look extra bright and striking next to a purple Oxalis! :purple_heart::blush:

2 Likes

Thats what i was thinking too! I’m looking for black bleeding heart seeds, i think they have yo come from Italy, thats what someone told me. So I’m always on the h i nt for those and new plants to put out front.

2 Likes