Very warm greetings to all!
Thank you again to everyone who shared their creative talents in last week’s challenge: The Thrifty Witch! After saving a bit of money for ourselves, it’s time to give back to a very powerful force in our lives
The theme for this week’s challenge will be…
This week is all about giving back to nature! Many of us draw power and inspiration from the world around us. Witches of all paths may use and look to the sun , moon, stars, and earth, or draw on elements such as fire, water, air, earth, or metal. There are also many deities who represent or are tied to elements of the world.
Since so much of what we do depends on the world around us, it is important to try our best to nurture and care for the earth that gives us so much!
Are you ready? It’s…
STEP 1: Practicing Earth-Friendly Magick
In order to complete this challenge, you are tasked with doing something that either gives back to the earth or promotes practicing in an eco-friendly way. You are welcome to interpret this challenge in your own unique style and apply to your individual practice. Creativity is very welcome!
Here are few suggestions and possibilities to get you started:
~Don’t be wasteful~
- With the next Sabbat Lughnasadh almost upon us, it is time to celebrate the harvest and reap our bounties! As you celebrate, remember not to be wasteful- especially with all of the food that comes with holidays at this time of year!
For more information about Lughnasadh/Lammas and how to celebrate, check out How to Celebrate Lughnasadh
- When using plants, try to use the whole plant . Any leftover parts can be used in creative ways: other recipes, dried and ground into incense, or perhaps pressed and made into plant cards or bookmarks infused with your blessing and the medicinal properties of the plant.
From the Compleat Naturalist’s guide on How to Press and Dry Plants
- After offering food on your altar, consider eating or composting the offering after the ritual, instead of throwing it away.
Think back to last week’s challenge about Thrifty Witchcraft- instead of buying something new, maybe you can think creatively and re-use materials you have on hand in new ways. In addition to saving money, reusing is one of the Three R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) to help reduce climate change and save the planet!
If you used salt in a ritual or purification, you could then re-use the salt for a ritual bath! (*Keep in mind that if you used materials for a spell absorbing negative energy or forces, it is not a good idea to re-use them for a different purpose- you should safely dispose of these materials far away from you.)
~Try ‘Shinrin Yoku’ Forest Bathing~
- Forest Bathing (Shinrin Yoku in Japanese) is a form of forest meditation that is becoming popular worldwide. Simple and easy, this meditation involves immersing yourself in nature to feel more connected to the earth and your inner self .
Meditation expert Micah Mortali presents an introduction to Forest Bathing in his video here:
- Consider doing a gratitude meditation in thanks for all of the wonderful things the earth has provided for you . A nature-based meditation focusing on mindfulness will offer your thanks to the Earth, and through expressing appreciation, you will feel your own spirits lifted as well ! Here is a cute Mini Meditation on the theme of appreciating nature:
- Consider planting a new tree or plant- you can get a seedling or sprout, or begin from seed. To draw on your powers, imbue a seed with your intention or wish and then nurture it as it grows If you’d like a spell, Danu Forest shared a Magical Seed Sowing Spell on the blog Witches & Pagans. Here is a passage from her blog post:
"Take a pot filled with soil or compost, and sow the seeds thinly upon the surface, before covering with a fine layer of soil or grit. Then water gently. If the pot has holes underneath for drainage, stand in some water for a while rather than water if from above so it can draw the water up from underneath.
Take another three deep breaths, and focusing your intention again, see in your mind’s eye the plants growing strong and beautiful, and your desires coming into fruition as they grow. Place your hands gently upon the soil, and send the seeds your love and energy, whispering any prayers for your desire into the soil. Thank them for the new life they will bring.
Tend to the plants gently and carefully, see they get the right amount of sunlight and water, and watch them grow, and take practical steps in your own life as well, to draw to you what you wish for. Over the next three months, as the plants grow and come to maturity, so shall your desires. See that it is for the good of all and harms none."
(From Magical Seed Sowing Spell by Danu Forest)
STEP 2: Share Your Experience
In order to participate in the challenge, you must share your experience! Please feel free to create a new post in the forums (and don’t forget to mention the challenge!) or write about your experience below!
This challenge will be open for the next 9 days!
If you would like to participate, please post about how you practiced in harmony with nature by Midnight on Sunday, August 2nd! After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.
For those that give back to nature that gives us so much, there will be a small prize awarded! All participants will receive a shout-out and a gift for their efforts .
A warm reminder that this challenge is very open- you are encouraged to participate in a way that reflects your unique practice . There are no right or wrong answers so long as you practice respectfully, and there is no way to ‘lose’ the challenge if you participate!
The hope with this challenge is help you help yourself- to encourage working in harmony with nature, diversify and strengthen your magickal practice, and bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another
May you always find peace in the abundance of nature around you, as your magick brings harmony to yourself and to the world!