šŸ’ø Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- The Thrifty Witch!

Merry Meet to all! :heart:

Thank you again to those who joined in on last weekā€™s challenge: Celestial Exploration! Now that everyoneā€™s stars are in line, itā€™s time for something new- our topic this week will beā€¦

:money_with_wings: :candle: Thrifty Witchcraft! :sparkles: :old_key:

This week is all about saving money and using the resources around you. Witchcraft can quickly become an expensive endeavor, but the truth is- it doesnā€™t have to cost any money at all!

While it may be tempting to buy a shiny new cauldron, perhaps you have a perfectly good bowl or pot that will work just as well? :thinking: With a little digging around and an open mind, you may find that you already have all the tools you need for your craft! :sparkles:

Calling all witches on a budget! Are you ready? Itā€™sā€¦

:medal_sports: CHALLENGE TIME! :trophy:

STEP 1 : Thinking Thrifty :face_with_monocle:

Bring out your creativity this week! Draw on the resources around you- especially things that you may not have considered before! Our challenge this week is to do something as part of your magickal practice that costs very little, or perhaps doesnā€™t cost any money at all!

If something comes to mind immediately- nowā€™s the time to give it a try! If you are looking for a spark of inspiration on how to keep their practice free or very cheap, read onā€¦ :sparkles:

~Not spending a dime~
Your magickal practice doesnā€™t have to cost you a single penny! Look around your home for things that you can incorporate in your next ritual or spell. Old pots, statues, fabric from clothes you never wear- these are all items that, with creativity, can become part of an altar or made into something entirely new!

Hereā€™s a great thrifty craft to do that will involve some Green/Kitchen Magick:

Herbal Scent Sachets
:rose: :handbag::herb:
Head out to the garden and find some fragrant plants- flowers or herbs- to dry, or dig through your spice cupboard for your favorite dried culinary herbs.

:rose::herb: Basil, rosemary, thyme, rose petals- there are many petals and/or spices that you can find that will work in a sachet pouch! Consider what you would like the sachet to be used for- protection? Safety? Purification? Good luck? The purpose of the bag will help you to decide what dried herbs or flowers you would like to use!

Find and purify a small bag. I recommend using a light-weight and translucent bag so the smell flows out easier and you can see the plants inside, but a bag sewn from thin fabric will work just as well! :+1:

As you place the dried herbs into your cleansed pouch, visualize the energies of the plant you are drawing on. You can say a chant or a few words to help draw out the purpose.

Ta-dah! Youā€™ve made an herbal sachet! Keep them around the house, by your bed, or in your purse/bag to protect you and refresh you with a lovely scent! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

When thinking thrifty, consider using materials you have already have:

• Such as using tea bags for an herbal ritual bath :bathtub::tea:, or collecting stones from a nearby lake or beach to use in place of crystals for water energy :gem::ocean:

• Consider trying new areas of the craft- if you had a rock collection as a child, maybe itā€™s time to take a new look at your old collection and dig out some pretty stones to add to your altar :gem: :eyes:

• Perhaps you or a loved one has a herb garden :herb: - considering looking into new kinds of herbs, and experimenting with new recipes! :yum:

• For those who would rather not use material tools, there are ways to increase your practice using nothing but the power of your mind :woman_in_lotus_position: ! Practices such as meditation and visualization use no material resources and cost no money at all- all you need is a good mindset and the will to do magic!

• You could do a cleaning ritual- cleaning your home as part of a purification process :broom:!

There is magick all around and in each and every one of us- you donā€™t have to spend money to practice your craft, when it is such an essential part of you! :sparkling_heart:

~Spending a little, but getting a lot~
For those of us tempted to buy, but donā€™t want to break the bank, it is absolutely possible to be a Thrifty Witch:

• Consider going to thrift shops to find witchy goods, or things you can give a new purpose to.

• The Dollar Store (or equivalent in your country) is full of interesting treasure! Check out what the Crafty Witch found and made use of in their video: Dollar Store Witch Supply Haul :money_with_wings:

• Instead of buying things ready-made, consider making your own tools or altar items. Craft stores are a great place to find everything you need! You could craft your own statues, altar cloths, or other tools. You may even pick up a new skill or two as you go! :paintbrush:

Ą few more resources~
Some advice on thrifty witching from other witches to help you find your inspiration:

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience! :writing_hand:

To submit your experience, feel free to either create a new post in the forum (remember to mention the challenge somewhere in the post or title!) or to write about your experience below! :writing_hand:

:spiral_calendar: :exclamation: This challenge will be open for the next 7 days! :exclamation: :spiral_calendar:

If you would like to participate, please post about your thrifty experience by 23:59 on Tuesday, July 21st! After this time you are still very welcome to post, but the challenge will not be issuing any more prizes.

:gift_heart:
As a reward for their efforts, all participants who complete this challenge will receive a shout-out in a following post and a small prize :gift:.
:gift_heart:

A warm reminder that the challenge is very open- you are encouraged to participate in a way that reflects your unique practice :+1: . There are no right or wrong answers so long as you practice respectfully, and there is no way to ā€˜loseā€™ the challenge if you participate !

The hope with this challenge is to help you help yourself- to inspire creativity, promote sharing, and encourage making the wonderful practice of witchcraft accessible to all! :heart::sparkles:

May you always find that the tools you need are right at your fingertips, and may your eyes open to all the possibilities stretching out before you!

Blessed Be! :heart:

17 Likes

When I do my daily card draws and meditate I listen to music on YouTube that are set to a certain frequency to banish negative energy and cleans my body and home all at once. I usually turn my speakers up on full so that the sound can be heard everywhere in my little apartment. Gets the old energy out. And it doesnā€™t cost me a thing.

4 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria for all the ideas and inspiration!!

This is a great idea for a challenge! Magic flows through creativity! :sparkles:

4 Likes

Oh, I love thinking thrifty when it comes to my witchcraft! One of my most favorite things to do is either customize tea lights to suit my needs and making brand new candles out of old candle wax!

4 Likes

Awesome will be pulling some of my goodies to post, I look at everything in a creative way, art or witchy is always on my mind.

3 Likes

Ohhhh I also love using music to help with meditation and my practice- Iā€™ve never thought of using it for banishing negative energy! :star_struck: This is a fantastic idea, @Amethyst :musical_note: And whatā€™s especially wonderful- itā€™s totally free! :raised_hands:

Collecting candlewax to reuse and make new candles is not just brilliant, but also so eco-friendly too! :candle: :heart_eyes: How do you usually customize your tea lights? Do you change the colors maybe? Sounds very interesting, @MeganB! :blush:

Hooray! I canā€™t wait to see your treasures, @Rene! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Yeah! So, depending on what Iā€™m doing, I will either just change the color, add some essential oils, or add some herbs. Iā€™ll melt the tealight down :candle: and scratch off some crayon into the wax. Iā€™ll add in the essential oils or herbs, then just let them dry again!

4 Likes

@BryWisteria I usually listen to the YouTuber WOKE NATION, they have oodles of musical tracks like that.

3 Likes

So do I :slight_smile: I put it on almost every day!

4 Likes

Me too @ana6! Theyā€™re really very good.

3 Likes

This is so exciting!

I run an organic lawn care company with my other half. We have a huge garden in our backyard and then a flower garden in the front of our home. Mother nature is wonderful and perfect for thrifty magic!
I also save any neat looking jars and boxes to reuse. I bought my cauldron and first tarot deck from a thrifty store. After cleansing and blessing, they are still adored to this day almost 3 years later! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This sounds beautiful, @MeganB! :heart_eyes: :candle:

Nice! :+1: If you and @ana6 both recommend WOKE NATION, Iā€™ll have to look into them! Always happy to find new background meditation music~ :musical_note::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

How wonderful! :heart_eyes: You and your partner must have some beautiful plants in your garden :herb::two_hearts: I agree- Mother Nature is the best source for materials, and always for very cheap or often for free! :evergreen_tree: :blush:

3 Likes

Good luck meditating @BryWisteria!

4 Likes

Thanks, @Amethyst! :two_hearts: I actually listened to WOKE NATION for almost 2 hours straight yesterday while I cooked and cleaned the apartment- the music is so relaxing that I forget that itā€™s on! So peaceful and cleansing~ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :musical_note:

5 Likes

I also wanted to add here that, while not necessarily witchy, I really enjoy upcycling things. My most recent upcycle would be the jar that I drink my iced coffee out of.

This jar actually came from a marinara sauce that we used for dinner one night. It is the perfect size for the massive amount of coffee I drink in the morning :blush: If I wanted to make it more magickal :sparkles: I could decorate the outside with sigils and different color correspondences. I just havenā€™t gotten around to doing it yet because although Iā€™m a thrifty witch, Iā€™m also a busy witch :laughing:

7 Likes

I learned to make my own candles bc the way I use them, Iā€™d spend a ton of money!! Also I have a ceramic plant pot that I use as a cauldron. Itā€™s super cute. When I first got it, thatā€™s what it reminded me of, too! And, I reuse a bunch of items such as yogurt, salsa or candle jars, for just about anything. I think these challenges are pretty cool and fun!! Thanks :blush:

5 Likes

well letā€™s see, I used a jar just like @MeganB, I have an empty wine bottle that iā€™m going to use for my moon water, i picked up a nice box and some tiny little bottles with scrolls inside at the $ store, there were too cute i couldnā€™t pass it up. recycled sewed that iā€™m going to use for my book of shadows

11 Likes

I recently had the chance to be thrifty AND try something new. I live in a planned community area that recently had to remove a 45 year-old magnolia tree that had become hollow inside making it a liability for falling. I managed to talk to tree trimmers into saving me a smaller ring of the trunk, maybe 1ā€™ tall. I will be creating a fairy door for it and will place it in my garden. Cost me nothing!

10 Likes

Great find and a way to save something that is that old

4 Likes

Hello All
Nice challenge here!
Today I noticed that there is lavender growing right outside my workplace.
My boss said its perfectly fine for me to harvest if I like. So this will cut back on that expense, i can make my bath bombs as well as place some on my alter.

4 Likes