🪨 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Rock Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Waxing Moon Magick :waxing_crescent_moon:

After admiring a distant heavenly presence above, it’s time to look down - this week, we’re appreciating the beauty of the planet beneath our feet :earth_asia:

The theme for this challenge honors Earth Day and is…

Rock Magic Weekly Challenge

:rock: :stonehenge: Rock Magick :earth_element: :mountain:
Using the free and bountiful resources of the Earth

Rocks, pebbles, boulders, and stones - each one a thing of beauty and power! :sparkles:

While witches are known for loving crystals, gems, and other beautiful polished stones, crystals often cost a pretty penny and come from far away. But you don’t need to spend money or ship things from afar to tap into the vast power of the Earth - you have plenty of options right outside your front door :rock:

This challenge encourages you to look around and appreciate the things you can find. Celebrating the Earth doesn’t have to cost a penny - everything you need for some rocking Earth magick is provided to you, for free, as a gift from nature :earth_africa: :blush:

By using local rocks and stones, you not only save money and time - they also offer a window into the local habitat you call home. Using local stones can help connect you to local nature spirits, deities, and wildlife :eagle:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is all about the magick of rocks and stones - how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Canva

STEP 1 : Find Your Stone :rock:

The best place to begin with this challenge is by finding your champion - it’s time to meet a new rock buddy!

Whether you find one while out in the garden, on a walk in the woods, on the side of a road, etc, look for an interesting rock that calls to you. It’s not a perfectly polished crystal, so don’t feel pressured to judge based on appearance. Choose any rock you feel drawn to.

If you cannot find a new rock that you feel called to, feel free to use a rock or crystal that you already have at home.

STEP 2 : Rockin’ Spells :sparkles:

Once you have your chosen rock, stone, pebble, or crystal - it’s time to use it in your magick! There are few suggestions below, but as always, how you choose to take on this theme is up to you.

Not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few inspirational ideas and suggestions of how to use your rock in magick.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Earth Magick :astrology_earth:

In celebration of Earth Day, consider putting your new rock to good use in some spells or meditations that honor our planet!

Additional inspiration can be found in the coven’s challenge entries shared in the Land Beneath Our Feet: Mountain Magick Challenge :mount_fuji: and the Earth-Friendly Witchcraft Challenge :dove:

Resting-in-the-Arms-of-Earth-Mother-art-360x240
Resting in the Arms of Earth Mother Meditation

Earth-Magick-360x240
Connecting with the Earth: Spiritual Grounding

Prayer-Healing-Mother-Earth-Wiccan-360x240
Prayer for Healing Mother Earth

Channeling the Element Earth :earth_element:

In addition to the name of our home planet, Earth is also one of the five magickal elements. Consider invoking Earth or doing some elemental magick with your rock this week. You might cast specifically for Earth, or use your rock as one part in spellwork that combines all of the elements.

Additional resources and inspiration can be found in the coven’s challenge entries shared in the Earth Element Challenge :earth_element: and the Elemental Mastery Challenge :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:

Earth-Invocation-Pagan-Chant-360x240
Earth Element Invocation

Elemental-Beings-360x240
Elemental Spirits & 4 Directions of Magick

Crafting with Rocks :spell_pouch:

Stones come in all shapes, sizes, and styles making them an excellent ingredient to include in your magickal crafts, no matter the size of your magickal vessel. Consider adding the pure natural energy of a stone to your spell jars, bags, and pouches.

Jars-and-Bag-Spells-Witch-Apothecary-360x240
Crafting Spell Jars & Spell Bags

How-to-Make-a-Spell-Jar-360x240
How to Make Your Own Spell Jar

Special Stones :mag:

Every stone is special in its own way, and each stone will have its own magickal correspondences. Look for colors, shapes, patterns, and other unique features that you make a stone particularly useful for certain intentions or types of magick.

Hag-Stone-360x240
Hag Stones & How to Use Them

Candle-Colors-1-min-360x240
Color Magick & Magickal Color Meanings

Sensing-Crystal-Stones-Magic
Intuition Test: Sensing Color Through Stones

… And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore rock magick in another way, you are welcome to do so!

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

Pictures by @Artemisia, shared in Hag Stones!

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, April 23 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2024-04-23T11:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Canva

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Canva

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

There’s more out there than jems and gold
So look around you and behold
Rocks and stones of great magickal worth-
They’re loving gifts from Mother Earth!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :rock: :sparkles:

21 Likes

My entry

I used a couple stones I have for some spiritual work

14 Likes

Challenge Entry – Rock Magic
I have always liked picking up unusual rocks while out walking. One of my favorites is the one on the left. It has rose quartz in the middle flanked by bands of white quartz and then bands of mica on the ends. I am going to use 5 rocks on my altar to represent the Earth along with a wooden tile I colored with the Earth symbol on it.

John McConnell’s Earth Day originated in San Francisco in 1969 on the Vernal Equinox. It was later moved to April 22.
To celebrate Earth Day I designed this spell to be performed on the evening of April 22. 2024. The intention is to turn the corner on the worldwide imbalance of insect populations especially bees and butterflies.
On the altar will be the 5 rocks, the tile, a gold candle on the left, then an image of a bee, then a brown candle in the center, then an image of a butterfly, and then a green candle on the right.
I will light the candles from left to right, and then say:
Golden lights bring your power.
Restore balance is the plea.
Renew cycles bug to flower.
Heal the earth, butterfly, and bee.
Increase in strength hour by hour,
With harm to none, so mote it be!
After extinguishing the candles, I will place the images where sunlight can fall on them and where I can see them often to help release the magic.

Adapted from a spell for Earth Day by Michael Furie in 2018 Witches Spell-A-Day almanac.

15 Likes

That’s the cutest thing I’ve read all day! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think I’m going to have to phone a friend on this one. And by that, I mean ask my partner to come with me somewhere to find cool rocks. The last time I went outside, all I came back with were those railroad ballast rocks. :laughing:

Some consider Belial an earth elemental, so I think he can help out with this. But as for the rock… I have to figure out where we can go. :thinking:

16 Likes

Rocks, I love stones and rocks. :partying_face:

15 Likes

Still trying to find out what rock this is

15 Likes

Challenge Entry – Rock Magic
Invocation of the Element of Earth
I call upon the Element of Earth and its Spirits that inhabit the rock, the stones, the earth and the volcanoes with all respect to pass my circle
To fasten and bind and close every passage in it…
I ask to be blessed with abundance, wealth and health…
when the incense of the cypress is extinguished
when the green candles extinguish their flames and I scatter the remains on the ground, let the spell be done now and in this place
I am the Daughter of Earth and Saturn whose Spirit walked the deserts the crossroads and Hades with my mother Hekate
I said so and so it shall be…

15 Likes

There are plenty of rocks in the woods near me. Right now, I’m looking for one. So many to choose from, lol

16 Likes

So beautiful :sparkles::blue_heart::green_heart:

16 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

Short one for me this week as life has taken over:

I feel that items like rocks absorb the energy of their surroundings and of events that occur around them, almost like time capsules of past events. Holding these items let’s you feel that energy. I have rocks from different places I have visited and tend to hold them for different things.

I have a rock from Mount Vesuvious. I use this to help ground myself as it itself came from deep within the Earth. Vesuvius lies calm and dormant most of the time and so I feel this when I hold it. As a Taurus, it takes a lot of pressure to make me explode (a bit like how a volcano will only go off when pushed to the extreme) so this rock acts as a reminder to remain calm and in the moment.

I have a rock from the beach in Santorini. It was from a holiday where I experienced nothing but pure relaxation and happiness. Holding it takes me back there when I am feeling stressed.

Finally, and probably most poignantly, I have a stone from the ground of the Auschwitz concentration camp. When I feel that things are tough, I hold it and remind myself what that rock has seen and how maybe what is happening to me is not so bad in the grand scheme of things.

Blessed be

Alan

16 Likes

I don’t know what day of the week it is anymore. :sweat_smile: On Tuesday I got off of work after the 15 hour day. I took the dog out and we were on the driveway. My driveway is rocks. While he was sniffing my tires, I look down and saw this little black rock and beside it was a red rock. (Sleep deprivation does weird stuff to my brain). I brought the rocks in and washed them and wrapped them in a paper towel. I have an app on my phone and was going to look them up later. Fast forward 2 days. I was in the kitchen packing my lunch and hubby picked up this random paper towel off the table and one of the two rocks fell out. Hubby “Why is there a rock in a paper towel”? Me " Did you find it, there should be two"? Hubby “Yes I only dropped one, the other one is still in the paper towel”. Me “Good”. End of the conversation". I would not have thought twice of that conversation if it weren’t for the weekly challenge! :rock: :rofl:

15 Likes

Challenge Entry - Rock Magick

This might not be my most elaborate entry but given my energy levels and difficulties at home, I’m going to post what I’ve got just in case I don’t have time later.

This week I made friends with a few new and one old rock friends.
My little amethyst cristals - so hard to get the purple to show in the photo! And my first quartz cluster. It’s an odd shape but odd fits for me.

My garnerite / green moonstone arrived yesterday. Another beauty that’s hard to capture with my camera.

One of the rocks I found last year when clearing the ground in my first raised garden.

And a rock from work that was still in my work hoodie. Found it today when I was cleaning out my old car.

If time, energy, and good vibes go my way, I will try to finally string one of my hagstone on a cord to wear!

16 Likes

@Artemisia love love love that quartz crystal! Your other ones are beautiful also, but the points on the quartz are mesmerizing! I want one!!!

12 Likes

*Challenge Entry-Rock Magick

The 2 rocks that were calling to me from my drive (pick me up, pick me up) are identified as Chert and Black Agate. It’s like I didn’t pick the rocks, but they picked me.

Chert

improves humor and has a calming influence . Helps redirect energy and is a stone of protection and healing. Aids memory and helps to find lost items. Enhances serenity and brings peaceful sleep.
Metaphysical Properties of Chert - Stone Treasures by the Lake.

Peaceful sleep! How awesome is that!!!

Black Agate

Black Agate Metaphysical Properties and BenefitsThe Root and Earth Star Chakras are associated with Black Agate, which is a keystone for grounding and balancing the Earth’s energies. A stronger sensation of inner strength, security, and stability can be attained by balancing these chakras.

Mysterious Beauty: Deciphering the Mysteries of Black Agate.

I haven’t picked up a rock out of driveway for at least a year. The rocks must have known I needed them and there was also a rock challenge. How cool is that? There is no such thing as coincidence!

12 Likes

Challenge entry

This rock called to me.

I don’t know what type of rock it is but I am drawn to its energy. I feel lighter/purer, grounded and protected.

16 Likes

Rock Magick Challenge Entry

This is my weak spot… Rocks, crystals, minerals, I love them all. I pick up rocks and what nots almost all the time. See a penny “I picked it up, now the rest of my day I will have good luck”. My little messages of love from above. :heart: I found these two beauties a few days ago when me and my hubbie were taking a walk. The turquoise one looks like a little heart to me and diamond shaped! My husband is so cute, he said only you would find that rock in a parking with a million rocks! I told him look at the universe pure D magic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I also made this jar from my trip to Puerto Rico from the little beach treasures the Atlantic Ocean washed up to blessed me with and there amazing powder sofe sand.
I always thank Gaia for her beauity, treasures and I love to create things from her inspirations. I gaze upon the jar and feel so blessed and thankful for the safe travel, amazing time, grounding, sacral chakra getting balanced, love, passion, the warmth of the sun, fresh air, vibrant colors, positive energy, rest, clarity, peace and most of all gratitude.

15 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

It’s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and haven’t done so already, please post about your challenge experience by the deadline:

→ Tuesday, Apr 22nd at 7:00 AM ET (Eastern US Time)

I spy some truly beautiful stones on display this week! :eyes: :two_hearts: To everyone who has shared their stone buddies, rock magick, and earth wisdom so far, thank you so much for sharing with the coven :hugs:

If you haven’t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have time left to do so.

Blessed Be! :rock: :sparkles:

(And a happy Earth Day today! :earth_americas: :green_heart: )

13 Likes

Challenge entry

I went with an easier one this time. Instead of a new rock friend, I grabbed a crystal that felt right, made a warm drink, put on some relaxing music, and “tried to just exist,” as my partner and I put it.

The palm stone is green fluorite.

This calming stone helps focus, increase clarity and clears away the fog on the path toward really understanding self. This brings a wiser, more balanced view of life and improves decision-making. The Fluorite crystal’s power to bring clear inner and outer vision enables you to manifest ideas and bring plans to fruition like never before.

For those struggling with attention deficit disorder or learning difficulties, Fluorite’s healing properties work to enhance concentration and quieten and soothe the mind by removing mental blocks and diminishing distractions…

Physically, Fluorite is also a powerhouse. It is used in crystal healing for blood brain hemisphere, cough, neck cancer, pain, joints, respiration, food intolerance, mobility issues, anti-viral, pineal gland problems, posture, nerves, inflammatory diseases, colds, flu, insomnia, and RNA/DNA issues. – https://www.unearthedcrystals.com.au/

And the pentagram is rimmed with obsidian.

Known as the “psychic vacuum cleaner,” Obsidian is your spiritual home cleaning service, giving you the energy to sweep the emotional rubble and debris from your past. The bodyguard to your soul, the Obsidian crystal can also protect you from inner darkness, by sharpening and focussing internal and external vision and acting as a mirror to your inner self. Meditating with obsidian can help you get in touch with those inner demons and buried issues before they explode in a potentially head shaving, umbrella wielding meltdown. – https://www.unearthedcrystals.com.au/

I’ve been listening to this playlist. I thought the “tree” concept was quite earthy.

I can’t say I’m feeling great, but I’ve been having my partner follow me around, both to keep me snug and to help me with things that are hard for me to do right now. I accidentally cut my hand open, so I needed some help washing my hair, for example. :laughing:

15 Likes

Weekly Witchy Entry for Amethyst:

I have a lovely little citrine crystal ball I set on my desk for creativity and inspiration. I decided to write a chant to charge it up when I am writing.

Spell for Writing

I call on the spirit of citrine,
to bless me with creativity.
Send me the spirits of Air and intelligence,
so that I may write with clarity.
Bless me with new ideas,
to give me a boost.
Thank you for helping me with my Muses.
And for giving me the strength to keep on writing!

Blessed be!

Hope y’all like it!

16 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I’ve missed a few challenges, Loki’s got me going here, there and everywhere at the moment. So if it’s ok, this is rock magic, will it do? :person_shrugging:

Here is a ritual to tap into the energy of :haglaz: using stones. :green_heart:

15 Likes