šŸ” Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Land Beneath Our Feet

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in to celebrate the Hundredth Weekly Witchy Challenge last week :100:

The challenge clock has started once again and we are off with challenge number 101!

The theme for this challenge is a follow-up to the Seas, Sands, and Tides Challenge, is dedicated to the mountain dwellers and those far from the sea, and isā€¦

Spells8 Mountain Land Earth Magick Challenge

:mountain: :national_park: Mountain Magick - Land Beneath Our Feet :sunrise_over_mountains::rock:

The forests and plains rise into the hills before soaring up to the skies- a beautiful shelter as much as a rugged and wild landscape, the mountains call to all those who step into their shadows

Across the many traditions and cultures, most will agree- there is something sacred about the land beneath our feet :footprints:

The rise and fall of the land draws boundaries between people, but also brings communities closer together. The mountains protect wildlife and offer a home to creatures and humankind alike, yet can be some of the most unforgiving and deadly terrain on the planet- the highest mountain in the world claims lives every year from those drawn to Her call (source).

As massive structures of rock, metal, crystal, and dirt- mountains are the embodiment of the Earth Element :earth_element:. Yet they stretch far up into the air to dance with the sky, making them a good place for Air Elemental :air_element: magick as well.

Symbolically, physically, and spiritually- the hills and mountains offer much for a witch to explore, and open the door to a mountain of magickal potential :wink: :mount_fuji:

Picture from Otherworldly Oracle: 3 Ways to Use Mountain Magick in Your Craft

There is so much to be said about the vast and towering power of the mountains- this challenge calls on you to explore, study, and draw upon the might of the land in a way that calls to you! :mountain:

Donā€™t live near the mountains or hills? No worries!
Chances are, you are on land right now- so even without the shadow of a mountain nearby, you have access to the Earth! Even in the city, rocks and stones come from afar- with a bit of creativity, you can surely connect with the mountains regardless of your physical location.

Feel free to celebrate and embrace the mountains through any way you choose no matter where you are- spells, meditations, and astral travel are all wonderful ways to explore the theme this week! :sunrise_over_mountains:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This weekā€™s theme challenges you to explore land and mountain magick - but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Quote by Anatoli Boukreev, Picture from QuoteFancy

STEP 1 : The Call of the Mountains :mountain:

With a mountain of magickal opportunities at your door- there are many ways you might tackle the climb!

Not sure where to begin?

To help you get started, the following list has a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge! :sparkles:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Earth Elemental Magick

The mountains are literal pillars of the Earth Element- consider doing an earth meditation, invocation, or working with Earth Elementals to connect with the land.

Earth Element Invocation
Earth-Invocation-Pagan-Chant-360x240

Earth Elementals: Gnomes, Guardians of the North
Gnomes-Earth-Elemental-Spirits-198x300

Air Elemental Magick :air_element:

With peaks that soar into the sky and take you far above the clouds, mountains are one of the best locations to work with Air. Consider doing an air meditation, invocation, or working with Air Elementals to celebrate the mountains this week.

Air Element Invocation
Air-Invocation-Wiccan-Chant-360x240

Air Elementals: Sylphs, Guardians of the East
Sylphs-Air-Elemental-Spirit-198x300

:dragon_face: Dwellers of the Mountains

Flip through the pages of folklore and legends and you will quickly find tales of heroes and travelers venturing into the mountains- to find sacred beings, slay mythical beasts, or embark on spiritual endeavors.

The mountains are a place away from and above normal society- if you look, what will you find there? :thinking:

Mount Olympus - Home of the Greek Pantheon
Greek-Devotionals-360x240

Dragon Invocation Ritual
Dragon-Invocation-Ritual-Prayer-Chant

Check out the previous Dragon Magick Challenge and The Bestiary Challenge for more mountain-dwelling magickal creatures! :fairy:

:person_in_lotus_position: Mountain Meditations

Itā€™s no coincidence that most monasteries are located in the mountains- the fresh air, quiet, and distance from the hustle and bustle of society, no doubt make it an exceptional location for clear-minded meditations.

Spells8 Guided Meditations
Guided-Meditations-360x240

@Silverbearā€™s Earth Meditation

For meditation tips and shared meditation experiences from your coven, check out the previous Meditation Magick Challenge :woman_in_lotus_position:

:gem: Crystals from the Deep

While not all crystals come from the mountains, they are certainly a place where shiny gems and beautiful stones can be found! Connect with the earth and the energy of the land through your very own little mountain in your hand :rock:

Crystal Attunements
Crystal-Attunement-Meditations-360x240

How to Use a Crystal Ball in Divination
Crystal-Balls-360x240

Creating Crystal Grids
Creating-Crystal-Grids-Witchcraft

:raised_hands: ā€¦ And More!

Be as wild and free as the mountains with this challenge- you are welcome to embrace the land in your practice this week in whatever way suits you best!

Picture from Pagans&Witches Amino: A Guide to the Mountain Witch

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Please click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

To participate in the challenge, please share:

1. How you explored mountain magick in your magickal practice this week

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new thread in the forums.

Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post so that I can easily find it- thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, July 5th at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( 2022-07-05T05:00:00Z )

(Note that the time zone is CET- you can use this time zone calculator to switch into your time zone!)

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Pixabay

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Open your eyes and welcome the sky,
Let the arms of the earth lift you above.
Up and away, youā€™ll fly so high-
Until the mountains embrace you with love.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed be! :mountain_snow: :sparkles:

19 Likes

Always look forward to Wednesday mornings and see what wonderful surprise we have in the way of a new challenge! :mountain: Home sick today, so Iā€™ll start thinking about my entry while I putter around and rest.

13 Likes

I just happen to have a few mountains around!! I donā€™t know what I will do yet because the possibilities are endless! Thank you @BryWisteria for another awesome challenge. :+1: :two_hearts:
:butterfly:

10 Likes

Ohh I already have an idea!! :thinking: I mean, I live closer to the ocean than I do the mountains but Iā€™ve got thoughts boiling around in my head today :laughing: Excited for this challenge!

10 Likes

Love this challenge @BryWisteria
I grew up in the mountains and Iā€™ve got tingles all over just thinking about all the different ways I can do this challenge!

Greenhorn Valley

Greenhorn Trail

I grew up close to the Greenhorn Trail.

13 Likes

Only flat country here, have to think about this one

10 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ Iā€™m intrigued. Growing up I visited the White Mountains & fell in love. Then I went to Paoli Peaks in Indiana. I have been through the Poconos & Appalachian, Blue Hills. Gonna have to employ husband for this, he lived in Crested Butte & Carbon Peak was in his front yard. Lolā€¦ think, think, thinkā€¦ :thinking: :mountain:

10 Likes

I started reading this and was at first sad as I live in a flat part of Texas. But then saw your note and was happy!!

11 Likes

Yay! I live right smack dab in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. I only wish I could get out and hike or something for this challenge.

11 Likes

I would like to please share these two that I found in my witchy library this morning; they both come from ā€˜The Little Book of Earth Magic: Connect to the Magic of the World Around Youā€™ by Sarah Bartlett.

Mountain Serenity Ritual

Try this simple exercise to connect to the mystique of mountain energy to bring yourself serenity and equanimity. For it, you will need access to a place that you can climb up; ideally a gentle mountain slope or hillside, but if you canā€™t work outdoors, a staircase will work too.

You will need:

ā€¢ 1 white quartz crystal (preferably in the shape of a mountain peak)

1. Prepare yourself for outdoor weather if you are doing this in nature. Hold your quartz crystal and begin to walk up the hill (or if youā€™re indoors, the stairs). Take it easy your mountain is only as high as you want it to be.

2. As you climb, hold the crystal in one hand, then transfer it to your other hand after ten paces, and continue to swap at each count of ten mindful steps until you have counted a total of fifty. (if you are indoors and only have a finite number of stairs, return to the bottom and start again until you have counted a total of fifty steps).

3. Now hold the crystal between both hands and imagine you are on both sides of the mountain and the mountain is one. Hold the crystal up towards the summit and say, ā€˜ā€™Thank you, mountain, for bringing me balance and self-acceptance.ā€™

Mountain Ritual of Thanks

This ritual can be used to honor these sacred sites and to return to the magnificent energy of their presence to nature. Ideally, you should do it while gazing at a real mountain or hillside, but if you canā€™t do that, then an image will work just fine.

You will need:

ā€¢ 10 stones
ā€¢ 10 drops of spring water
ā€¢ 10 drops sandalwood oil
ā€¢ Dropper

1. With five stones in each hand, sit comfortably and gaze upon a mountain range or high hill (either outside in the wild or from a window); or simply focus on a favorite image of a mountain or hill.

2. Focus and meditate for a few minutes on the mountainā€™s power, stillness, immovable force and ancient power. When you are ready, cast the stones gently to the ground.

3. One by one, build the stone up into a mound until you are satisfied with its shape or height.

4. Seal your intention to honor the landscape by dripping ten drops of water onto the mound of stones, followed by ten drops of sandalwood oil. As you do so repeat over and over again:

ā€˜With all intent your power is set,
When all realize, your strength aligns.ā€™

5. Leave your little stone pliĆ© in place for one lunar cycle to activate the energy. By creating your own anointed peak of stones - however tiny - you will be weaving the mountainā€™s calm composure back into the landscape.

13 Likes

himdah neben un koz (land beneath our feet in dovahzul - dragon language)

I had to think for a bit, but I now have an idea what to do. There are a lot of mountains where I am. I could go for hiking this weekend and bring back a sample of soil. Iā€™ll have to do so before it gets hot again. Weā€™ve had some terribly hot days this year with the highest heat index that I can remember (110 degrees). I could use that mountain soil in a prayer to Gaia (in her dragon form :wink:) to halt the spread of climate change and for our planet to cool.

Iā€™m learning Thuā€™um, the dragonā€™s language from Skyrim, so Iā€™m hoping I can learn enough before the challenge closes to write the prayer in that language. If not, I can always translate it later.

12 Likes

:thinking: this is an interesting one, but I have no exact idea what to do :grimacing: Maybe a trip to Mt Olympus will be a good idea (it is an hour away) and then take it from there :mountain: :mountain_railway:

10 Likes

@Artemisia Awww Iā€™m really honored you look forward to the challenges! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I do the same thing with the entries- I get so excited and start daydreaming about what things everyone might do :laughing: :+1:

Iā€™m really to hear you arenā€™t feeling well- please rest up and keep drinking fluids! I pray you feel all better asap :pray::heart:

@Sarafeena_Sage Hooray! Iā€™m so happy you like the theme, Sarall- it sounds like this theme is right up your alley (or rather- your mountain range! :wink:). The possibilities are indeed endless- I canā€™t wait to see how you choose to tackle this one! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@MeganB Yay~! :tada: Canā€™t wait to hear what youā€™ll do- have fun with it, Megan! :two_hearts:

@Marsha This sounds like a theme that is very close to your heart, Marsha- and look at those gorgeous pictures! :heart_eyes: Beautiful to see!

@Martje I know the Netherlands have a reputation for having flat (and so organized- we flew over once and everything was so beautiful! All the plots of land were so neat- it was really special to see :heart_eyes:)- but ground you do have! The Earth and rocks are right below you, Martje- and you are one very creative soul!

The choice is always yours, and if you do choose to take on this challenge, I look forward to hearing what you choose to do :blush:

@Susurrus Blue Hills!!! Ahhh I spent a lot of time on Blue Hills as a kid- they had that cute little petting zoo at the bottom, and the ski slopes for kids too. I think thatā€™s probably the closest ā€œmountainā€ we have in eastern MA, but it sure is a beloved one :mountain: :two_hearts:

@Amaris_Bane Giving a climate theme the spotlight is really fun for those who live in that climate, but I know itā€™s tough for those who donā€™t live in/near that type of terrain- and I certainly donā€™t want anyone to feel left out! Luckily, a little creativity and open thinking helps, along with the knowedge that everything is connected :handshake: :earth_americas: :blush:

Also your gnome post was 100% fantastic- I had so much fun reading that entry! Thanks again for sharing it! :grinning: :heart:

@Amethyst As a mountain girl, this challenge is for you, Amethyst! :mountain: :two_hearts: No worries about having to do anything physically intensive- you are fully immersed in beautiful mountain energy, so any way you choose to celebrate what is around you will be perfect for this challenge! :blush:

Good luck and have fun with it!

@Jessica72 I feel at peace even just reading the Mountain Serenity Ritual- gosh, that is such a beautiful one. I wonder if any of my crystals could pass for a mountain peak? That is a great idea! :raised_hands:

And that Mountain Gratitude Ritual- ohhhh! :star_struck: The power of 10 is really coming into play here, and stones, water, and sandalwood is a very interesting combo.

These were both very cool to see- thanks so much for sharing, Jessica! :heart:

@Kasandra Bonus points for writing the challenge title in dovahzul- I see your language studies are already coming along wonderfully! :clap::books: A full prayer in the language would be very impressive indeed, but no need to pressure your studies- just like you say, you can always translate things at any point! :blush:

@stavroula I cannot tell you just how awesome it is that you are so close to Mount Olympus- Iā€™m in awe (and jealous too! :laughing:) :mountain: :sparkles: May I ask if youā€™ve had the chance to visit it before, or if this would be your first time? I would love love LOVE to visit Mt Olympus myself someday- I bet itā€™s a really powerful place to see with your own eyes! :heart:

If you do decide to make the journey, I wish you safe travels! :blush:

9 Likes

Ohh, I love these little rituals! Thank you for sharing them :heart: Iā€™m going to add them to my grimoire later today :blush:

I would be very interested in seeing this if you get the chance to do it before the challenge closes! Dragon language is so fascinating :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Aw, I hope that one day you will have the chance to visit! :star_struck: If and when you come I would be delighted to help you out with your adventure at the mystical land! :classical_building:
I think I went once or twice at the nearby archeological site with school many many ages ago
and at a village at the feet on the mountain, but never at the mountain itself as i kinda dislike hiking :rofl: :rofl:

10 Likes

Ok yep i did it again. Went to my cards lol but after debating what to do i remembered as i went to do a advuce for tommorow that i had a deck on phone for earth magic or called earth magic, anotherapp had earth power and drawing 3 from first deck n another 3 from that one i thought ok if doing in 3s then 3 cards from another deck. So in end decided on christina star oracle deck - ask the oracle. I screen shotted n put together. Starting at bottom to top in order of pulling or drawing. Ive got sone ideas on the reading but i may need further reflection to get what need from it

I figure in light of the challenge i could do readings including decks from earth based themes and include plants, herns and crystals as well as earth power and earth magic deck. Also id like to do some work with crystals. One idea that came from the first part of the reading was something about rose quartz possibly included in a self love or care ritual or spell and drawing on or connecting Freya as tommorow is her day for tge ritual spell. At least thats what i got from first part of the reafing. I wondered about who i wass needing to show loVe or compassion to and i got a hint from the solitude card that maybe it was me i neededto show love or compassion too. The ceremony was image of a solitary person invokibg and a crystal n then looking at love and compassion i got rose quartz n self love or compassion ritual or spell. Tommoroe is friday which is freya day n she is goddess of love n cause im single its more she kicks my but in a way when im not looking after myself. So thats part of the reading. Intuition and trusting myself and learning from others but making my own path was another thing picked up. Trusting self, believe in self and making or creating my path. Do what i can but trust the universe or spirits n deities to have things in hand. some of that i think was a part of my july month reading i did but im still working on interpreting that one but tgat does make sense some things would cross over as tomorrow is start of july lol maybe once had some sleepill have another look n see what else comes up. At least the messsage about trusting my instincts is clear as id need to trust instincts to explore the reading further. :joy:

11 Likes

Hello from Nevada! The most mountainous (and driest) state in The United States! As you travel east and west across this state you will be regularly climbing and descending. Most travel north and south is through valleys.
My plan is to research something I can do while on a mountain near home on Saturday. I will let you know what I learn on Sunday.

9 Likes

Here are a couple of views from my home and 1 from a mountain I call Enterprise (because there is a pile of rocks that remind me of the starship).

11 Likes

I am jealous!! That is a gorgeous view!! Iā€™ve got a lovely view of the Houston skyline on one side and refineries on the other. :pensive::pensive: I do love on a river but itā€™s part of the Houston ship channel so not fun to look at, lol. Can sometimes get pretty sunsets though.

10 Likes

Iā€™m jealous of all of the pictures! Oh, how I miss waking up & there was literally a mountain beside me! Mount Moosilauke, Grafton County, New Hampshire. We could walk down my motherā€™s driveway, across the street, & we were at the base of the mountain.

My best memories are my brother & I visiting & she had a tree :deciduous_tree: with a rope swing. We went out of the cabin & would grab the swing & as you swung out, you went over a patch of blackberry & raspberry bushes (we would collect the berries so my mother could make jams & such) & it was amazing to see the Mountain :mountain: as you swung towards it & then up the side & then back where you got a wider shot of the side of the mountain & the summit.

Oh man, now I need to find those pictures. I remember there were sheets of mica about the size of a quarter and of course larger & smaller from there. I believe throughout the mountain area thereā€™s garnet that can be found too.

Depending on who is in them, Iā€™ll share. Whether or not I want to be seen when I was that young, I havenā€™t decided :laughing: I was more awkward then than I am now :joy: But oh the good memories that rope swing next to the mountain has left with me :smiling_face:

9 Likes