Making your own Incense

Here is a step by step guide to making your own incense.

I wont be including recipes in this guide but will include some ideas for you to try. I will be post each recipe on its own.

Everything we do is the most natural and hands on approach only because we feel you get t he best experience that way. You can create this using any method you wish.

Incense can be used personalty or as a group to help meditate, relax,heal, etc. You can use Incense alone or as part of a ritual, spell, etc.
You can use many ingredients in your incense.

All incense made by hand will need to be burned in a censer over coal. I will go into detail later about what a censer is.

All herbs, resin, wood I use is as fresh as it can be. I grown many herbs and flowers but I do have to reach out for wood and resin. Just make sure you do buy them from a reputable source and not places like Amazon. You get what you pay for.

All ingredients must be dried. There are several ways to dry out your herbs and flowers.
We like to dry then in the sun and feel its the most natural way.
You can also dry then in your oven, using a dehydrator,or buy them already dried.

If you need more info on how to dry herbs in the sun or in the oven I can answer that.

Use will need a mortar and pestle.

We have several different types and use different ones for different incense. You really only need one. You can also use a coffee grinder if you chose for an easy way to grind and blend ingredients. However do not use a grinder that you use for coffee as it keeps the oils from the coffee beans and will ruin your incense. Also some of the ingredients are not meant to be eaten.

You will need to have containers to keep your incense in after you create it. We use small vials with cork caps for small batches that will be used within a few days and glass jars with airtight lids for larger batches we keep longer.

So into the process.

First a censer is a small bowl with a grate on top. You put a small amount of sand in the bottom and charcoal on the grate. After the charcoal heats up a few minutes you can then add your incense on top of the coal.

Note some people leave the grate turned up and this makes it very east for the charcoal to slide off and potentially burn your furniture or start a fire. If you flip the grate over it has a concave shape that the charcoal will sit into and will not fall off.

Turned upwards

Turned downwards.

Once you have decided what incense you will be creating gather all your ingredients.

This is just a small picture of ingredients we have. There are several images in another post that shows over 100 ingredients.

Each recipe list the ingredients by part.
Example Frankincense 2 parts. This means you can make the part whatever size you wise. 1 part can equal a teaspoon, tablespoon, cup, etc. this allows you to make as much or as little as you choose.

Make sure each ingredient you pick, dry, grind that you thank it for its contribution and focus on pure white energy going into it as you work.

So lets start with a simple Altar incense that we use daily to purify and clean our work area.

3 parts Frankincense
2 parts Myrrh
1 part Cinnamon

Start with the first ingredient (Frankincense) and add the amount you choose for your part. Add it to your mortar and start grinding away until its as fine as you can get it. Some resins, seeds, woods will take longer and will not be very fine but this is OK. We want them as fine as we can get.

Once your first ingredient is the way you want add the next ingredient and mix together and repeat the process. Then continue with the rest going down the list until you reach the last one.

If you need to transfer your mixture to another bowl while you grind more ingredients this perfectly fine. Sometimes we make large batches and have to empty after each ingredient.

Any recipe that calls for oils will have this ingredient towards the end of mixing.

When you re done grinding and mixing everything together you will have a nice fine powder.

Now its time to light it and enjoy. What you don’t use right away but into bottles or jars to save for later. They usually keep good for about a month but we never make a batch we cant use within a week. We do make large batches to give to friends and family during times of need, or holidays.

I hope this helps and I will start sharing recipes soon.

Remember not all incense will have a pleasant smell as they are for magical uses.

You can have fun and mix several things together if you just want a nice smelling fragrance. Try stuff like Frankincense, rose petals, Eucalyptus, Patchouli flowers, etc. There is no limit on what you can make.

All recipes I post will be for magical uses and I will also include rituals and suggestions for use.

If you see any issues with my post please let me know as I suck at typing and this is my first to do I have ever done that wasn’t in person lol.

15 Likes

I would like to add that there are several books in the market that list recipes. Make sure those are from reputable sources.

I hate to say this but I have bought books that were not written with the best intentions and only to have unnatural scents and man-made stuff.

Any book that is written with good intentions will only contain natural ingredients and will include cautionary notes in some recipes.

Ingredients like clove, poppy seeds, wormwood, sulfur, hemp, etc. should only be used outdoors and not inhaled directly.

9 Likes

Thank you, @daniel4 for this great guide to making incenses!! :clap: :clap:

I enjoyed reading through the process and I will give it a try! Do you have any favorite place to get your ingredients?

I really appreciate these tips too and the safety information! Thanks for sharing!

7 Likes

If it’s something we don’t grow we have a shop an hour away that sells organic ingredients. I don’t know any online sites as I don’t do online shopping for that stuff much.

6 Likes

This is very helpful information, @daniel4! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom on incense :+1:

I agree- I think small bottles of homemade incense made with love and natural ingredients from the garden would make lovely gifts for friends and family :gift_heart:

4 Likes

Thanks @daniel4, can’t wait to try! :sparkles:

5 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I’m certainly interested in making some incense now!! And you did fine with creating your post!!

4 Likes

@daniel4 I really appreciate the heads-up on the incense books. I am always suspicious about ‘witch’ spells and recipe books for just this reason.

Do you have a title that you would recommend for Incense?

2 Likes

Cunningham’s has a good book for incense. There are several others as well. When I get a chance I can post them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0875421288/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_VurRFb5J35HCW

4 Likes

I had never tried making incense! After this topic I was encouraged to try it and used what I had at home. Then I burned it but I didn’t like the smell.

I still enjoyed burning it but I guess I have to focus on blending the right ingredients. @daniel4 What do you think would go well with bay leaves?

2 Likes

This happened with my protection incense. I blended the herbs specifically for their protective properties and didn’t think about how they would smell. It…doesn’t smell great, but I do feel that it does an amazing job for protection. Sometimes you just gotta push past the smell because, like it or not, it still does its job :laughing:

5 Likes

Copal, lemon balm, rosemary, white sage, basil mixes every well with bay leaves. You can even throw in a little Cinnamon too.

6 Likes

@daniel4 Thanks for the ideas! I have most of those so I can try right away!

@MeganB Lol yes I’m used to palo santo which always smells heavenly. I guess I’ll eventually get used to more diverse aromas!

4 Likes