Brigids Cross, 1st Attempt

Have you tried making the doll? I found this tutorial on Pinterest

straw-doll-10

It was called BrĆ­deĆ³g and was traditional around Imbolc.

The girls would carry it in procession while singing a hymn to Brigid. All wore white with their hair unbound as a symbol of purity and youth. They visited every house in the area, where they received either food or more decoration for the BrĆ­deĆ³g.

Afterwards, they feasted in a house with the BrĆ­deĆ³g set in a place of honour, and put it to bed with lullabies. In the late 17th century, Catholic families in the Hebrides would make a bed for the BrĆ­deĆ³g out of a basket. - Source

15 Likes

I have not tried to make it, but I do want to make it! I was going to head down to our craft store and see if I could find somethings to make it out of with the flowers and maybe see if they have some false reeds. I had read the story and I canā€™t remember if they burn the doll or the cross to make a new one during Imbolc each year. I will have to look it up again. I will post a picture of my attempt at the doll! I have baskets galore at my house! Thank you!

8 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: very nice!!!

8 Likes

How pretty @Francisco! That looks great!

7 Likes

Krissie,
Itā€™s so creative especially with the Beach Grass! You are getting closer to the Brig huh :thinking:

Jeannie

10 Likes

Well done. I find it difficult to find suitable plant reeds for them. I still always strive to use them on Imbolc as well as a Corn Dolly to Brigid.

10 Likes

I wish I would have seen this post I made a Brighid cross and really felt good energy from her!
This is lovely I still have mines they said Barrie it and I had a hard time do that!
Jeannie

7 Likes

I release mine after I have gone through something significant or on January 31st I burn the one I have up & make a new one to hang for the year or until I feel like itā€™s a proper time to ā€œrefreshā€ protections. Depends on what I have going on & for how long really.

I say if you feel good with that one, then by all means keep it! Especially if youā€™re still feeling the good energy from it. If you already did that then, make another one, see how it feelsā€¦ maybe itā€™s stronger this time!

10 Likes

Pretty cool love the book too.

8 Likes

@danielle7 thank you, thank you! I believe that was one of my first journals once I started my path!

I have a good tutorial for making the cross, they even have you try it with like pipe cleaners first so you can get the idea of how it works :laughing: I couldnā€™t figure it out at first to save my lifeā€¦ my hands didnā€™t want to work with me the very first time.

If you are interested in Brigid or anything we have a few things for you to review:

If youā€™re still interested let us know & we can recommend books & such that have information about her & stories & such :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m very interested! I really am new to all this and have never even heard of the brigid cross nor do I know what it does. Thank you for the links and yes book names would be great.

blessed be

7 Likes

Okay, well Brigidā€™s Cross is usually made up on January 31st/February 1st because Brigid is highly associated with Imbolc. The crosses are hung over the doorways to homes for protection throughout the year of hearth & home.

Let me go through what I have & I will preface with if you go to Amazon, there is a series of Pagan Portals on thereā€¦ Morgan Daimler & Courtney Weber do books for them & are very knowledgeable & great authors to start withā€¦ I believe Pagan Portals does have a series on Brigidā€¦ I can check that too when I go into my Amazon & my Kindleā€¦ I also have Kindle Unlimited & the number of books related to the practice that are free is amazing. I would stay away from books about anythingā€¦ that are by Mari Silva. Llewellynā€™s can be good but check the sources at the end of the booksā€¦ sometimes they are from decades ago & since then a lot more has been found & written that is more reliable.

Brigid is a Celtic/Irish Goddess that was transformed into a Saint when Christianity came through the Celtic lands. In Ireland, she is still honored as she was before sainthood in some places. (My neurologist is from Ireland & her family is Celtic. Brigid is her familyā€™s patroness & they honor her in the same ways.) Her perpetual flame is still tended to by nuns in Kildare also.

I will find the books I do have & @MeganB may be able to help with some other resources for Brigid also.

5 Likes

I tried to make a brigid doll today and added lavender and put it by the fire place, I really appreciate you sharing knowledge with me this is so much fun! I also wrote all of this down in my journal. Hee hee

Blessed Be

8 Likes

I Love Love Love that you made this out of found materials in your local area!

9 Likes

@Susurrus i need to get with u and maybe get my crafty creative juices flowing

9 Likes

@danielle7 you are very welcome & the dollies are fun too!

• The Spirit of the Celtic Gods & Goddesses Their History, Magic Power, & Healing Energies by: Carl McColman, Kathryn Hinds, foreword by Courtney Weber.
  • Brigid: History, Mystery, and Magick of the Celtic Goddess by: Courtney Weber
  • Pagan Portals: Brigid, Meeting the Celtic Goddess of Poetry, Forge, Healing Well by: Morgan Daimler

Those should also help you get started as far as books. Thereā€™s another one called Tending Brighidā€™s Flame, but I would wait to read that one until you have worked with Brigid a little bit. :smiling_face:

@kathleen9 we used to have 3 patches of Beach Grass in our backyard. Now I use rushes that I have or wander around my neighborhood by our right of way(s) to the ocean :ocean: to see what I can find :laughing:

@Mistress_Of_Herbs Iā€™m sure there is something else in the forum that I have made or attemptedā€¦ I just canā€™t off the top of my head, come up with what they are :rofl: I love having crafternoons! We should do that!

9 Likes

@Susurrus yessssss. I donā€™t have a crafty bone in my body. But i didnt think i had it in me about herbs and such neither. Oh the irony. Lol

7 Likes

Weā€™ll get it out of youā€¦ there is craftinessā€¦ weā€™ll find it!

7 Likes

@Susurrus yaaaaaaaaaaayyyy i knew if anyone could it would be u twinsie

7 Likes

This is great ! Thank you so much! Wellā€¦ I have a lot of reading to do and Iā€™m so excited.

5 Likes