Catnip properties

What are the properties of catnip besides the obvious use for cats. Like could you use it in a dream satchel! What’s it used for??

5 Likes

Things like beauty, luck, & happiness. Love. :heart:

6 Likes

@Susurrus @christina4 . I found and interesting article on “wiccanow.com
(The alluring magical properties of catnip).

4 Likes

@SilverBear made a great video about Catnip just recently:

We also had a topic about it a while back:

I’m working on making a lesson in the Green Witch Course about Catnip!

7 Likes

:bangbang: I am NOT going to give it to my kitties because I don’t want to risk accidentally giving them something that will make them sick :bangbang:

Speaking of catnip, I’ve been meaning to share this with the group! I went out exploring with the Seek app to see what kinds of things were growing in my yard, and I found C A T N I P :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat: I was SUPER excited and it made me want to explore Green Witchcraft and herbalism :heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

Congrats on your find, @Jewitch! That is so exciting to have Catnip :herb:. There were some great resources about using Catnip shared here, so you will have plenty of options for how to use it! :star_struck:

As for Catnip making cats sick, I’ve only heard about possible minor side effects happening (such as upsetting their tummies) when Catnip is eaten in large quantities. I’ve found Catnip to be very safe in small doses for otherwise healthy furry friends. Have you heard or maybe experienced otherwise? :cat2: :two_hearts:

6 Likes

Thank you to everyone who helped me with my question. It means a lot to me that you’d go out of your way to help me.

6 Likes

Thanks bc I’m making a dream pillow.

6 Likes

@BryWisteria My kitties haven’t had any bad experiences with catnip, but I just want to be 10000000% certain that I’ve 1000000% properly identified a plant I find in my yard before I give it to my fur babies :grimacing::heart:

I’m convinced enough that it’s actually catnip for me to probably collect some and use it for myself, but I’m able to make informed decision to use it, whereas my kitties only have their instincts and aren’t able to logically choose for themselves to consent to the risks of eating something from the yard :sweat_smile:

I have let them smell it and they go absolutely BANANAS for it :heart_eyes_cat: but I’ve been SUPER careful not to let them actually come into contact with it because I’d be devasted if I accidentally gave them a plant I thought was catnip but was something that was actually toxic :grimacing:

3 Likes

@christina4 you’re welcome. Sorry I wasn’t more thorough with my answer. I was getting ready for something when I saw it.

@Jewitch I love the iNaturalist app! I used it over the weekend. & found Lemon Balm (I didn’t know it was a perennial) & celandine & hairy bittercress in my yard. I’m going to use it in the front when things really start popping up there. I have some of the celandine drying to be put with my witchy herbs. I have some herbs in my greenhouse, the package was labeled “kitchen herbs” so it will be fun to identify the ones that come from that too.

5 Likes

I have a book called The Magicka Materia, kind of like a herbal medicine book but it lists magickal properties of plants (someone here might also have it I don’t think it’s new). Everything that everyone has said above is definitely listed in it but there is also a bit about it helping with Astral travel and protection while travelling if used in incense? What the book doesn’t say though is if it is safe to burn catnip? Regardless of if it’s safe to use incense though it would still make it perfect for a dream satchel :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who’s the author? I’m gonna look into this book :nerd_face:

1 Like

Ilana Sturm ISBN: 978-1-936922-85-7
I thought I would add the ISBN as well cause I bought it from a charity shop so I can’t recommend a retailer, but amazon would probably have it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The full title is “A Witch Among The Herbs: Materia Magicka”

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks! I’ll have to check it out! :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

No problem :slight_smile: If you can’t find it let me know and I could maybe do a little post each week with a different herb from the book and what it says? <3 Blessed Be <3

2 Likes

I just downloaded the Kindle version of it :star_struck: I can’t wait to dive in! I have so many books on my list of books to read x.x haha

2 Likes

Glad you found it :slight_smile: It’s got a little bit on crafting wands and different oils as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see! A very wise decision to make sure the plant in question is Catnip before giving it to the furry friends. You are a very thoughtful and responsible cat owner, wade! :raised_hands: :cat:

2 Likes

That’s absolutely fine!

2 Likes