Easy Yule Log Recipe Using Cake Mix

Did you know they make Vanilla Marshmallow frosting? Cause I didn’t! LOL.

Easy Yule Log Recipe Using Cake Mix

Prep Time
30 Minutes

Cook Time
15 Minutes

Yield
1 yule log

Difficulty Level
Easy

Ingredients:

6 eggs
1 box chocolate cake mix
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1 (12oz) container fluffy marshmallow frosting
1 (12oz) container whipped chocolate frosting
Fresh cranberries and rosemary for garnish

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer for 5 minutes until frothy and pale yellow in color.

2. Add cake mix, water, and oil and beat on low for 2 minutes.

3. Line a baking pan then coat liner with baking spray. Make sure to grease the sides of the baking sheet as well.

4. Pour batter onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly.

5. Bake at 350˚ for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

6. When done, remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.

7. While the cake is still warm, grab a linen dishtowel. Sprinkle both sides of the towel with powdered sugar to prevent the cake from sticking to it then lay it on top of the cake. Holding the towel and pan together, gently flip upside down so the cake drops onto the towel. Lay on a clean surface.

8. Peel off the liner. Then tightly but gently roll the cake, keeping the towel in place to separate the layers. Place the rolled cake on a cooling rack and let cool for at least 15 minutes.

9. When cooled, gently unroll the cake and spread it with marshmallow frosting. Gently but tightly roll cake to form a log. Place onto a serving dish, seam side down. Frost outside and ends with chocolate frosting

10. Using a fork, create a bark-like pattern in the frosting. Garnish with fresh cranberries and rosemary or decorate your log in a wintery scene using whatever decorative items you can find!

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’m going to share it with a friend of mine who was looking for another way to make a Yule log cake :cake: I’ll be making one, too, but out of a box specifically for a gluten-free diet. And then I’ll also be making to plant-based :herb: to, you know, make it more complicated :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Thank you! I can make my grocery list for tomorrow!

4 Likes

I am going to share this with my daughter but she will have to make it out of vanilla and do a white frosting since she can’t have chocolate due to here epilepsy…should still look like a log just an ash log roflmao :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

You’re welcome! I hope your friend likes it, and I hope you’re able to fix one the way you need it. And I hope it’s not too complicated for you.

You’re welcome! Get some help with those groceries tomorrow!

A birch tree is white. Dip a knife or something in some black food coloring and you can make the little slashes to make it look like a birch tree. Just an idea! Good luck to you and your daughter with making this!

3 Likes

I will try, but I can’t make any promises. I will definitely have the people in the house bring them in though. That’s the hardest part.

I’m printing this now so I don’t forget anything :smiley:

2 Likes

Get one of the people working in the store to help you load your car too! That 's what they are there for. Good luck sweetie!

3 Likes

This is great kassie! Thanks! I’m not much of a baker! But maybe I’ll try it! Lol

4 Likes

That’s why I chose this Yule Log recipe, it didn’t look complicated. Good luck!

4 Likes

Marshmellow frosting!?! :star_struck: Is that kind of like Fluff?

Marshmallow-Vanilla-Fluff,-piankowy-krem-do-smarowania

I loved eating sandwiches with Fluff as a kid (PB&Fluff Sandwich, yum! :yum:) but I don’t think I’ve ever used it as a frosting before! Ohhh I bet it’s yummy :drooling_face:

This is a perfect seasonal recipe, @Amethyst! I was supposed to bake a Yule log over the weekend but never got around to it- perhaps I’ll try with this easier box-mix version later today.

Thanks so much for sharing- Happy Yule! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Nope, it was an actual can of vanilla marshmallow frosting. I have no idea where you’d get it, or even if you can get it in Poland.

You’re welcome for the sharing! I enjoy it.

2 Likes

A very elusive and intriguing ingredient! :laughing: I’ll have to keep my eye out for vanilla marshmallow frosting- it really does sound delicious! :yum::two_hearts:

3 Likes