Experiences with the Norse Deities

Has anyone ever done any work with the Norse Deities? Thor, Odin, Freya, Tyr etc. I’m a Norse Pagan as well as a witch and it’s the path that led me to accept the true nature of the universe and our connection to it. I have only ever spoken to Freya before, I haven’t managed a connection with any of the others so far, but I’m still learning so I have to be patient <3 Was just curious if anyone had worked with any of them. <3 Blessed Be <3

11 Likes

I haven’t myself, at least not much, but I’m certain there are more Norse Pagans here. Hopefully they’ll come out of the shadows for you! :purple_heart:

9 Likes

We do have Norse Pagans, I believe @Rowan may be one if I’m not mistaken. I know that we definitely have them though as @Amethyst said. I hope they are able to get back to you also.

8 Likes

I’m still learning about the Norse pantheon. I think an interesting aspect is working with the runes of the Elder Futhark as a tool for receiving information.

I think with Norse deities, the best approach is to immerse yourself as much as you can in the mythology. Study the deities in the pantheon and read the stories. It might take a while before you really connect. Here’s a website with lots of Norse tales

:bookmark: There’s a book by Neil Gaiman called Norse Mythology which is a very entertaining compilation of Norse folklore.

And check out Jackson Crawford’s Youtube channel. He’s more academically focused on the Old Norse language but he also discusses runes, mythology and folklore.

11 Likes

Thank you, everyone :slight_smile: @Amethyst @Susurrus It’s a large community and there are a lot of different time zones (which is amazing!) I knew there wouldn’t be replies from everyone who may have encountered these Deities, i look forward to any stories that come though <3 @Francisco I have Neil Gaiman’s book. it’s a good read :slight_smile: I’ve also come across Jackson Crawford’s books but not his channel so thank you so much :slight_smile: I’ve connected with lots of land spirits but Freya was the first Deity I ever directly worked with after an offering to bless my sister’s pregnancy, it was a very spiritual experience and was quite intense but in a good way, she is a very strong force lol. I have to say though the more i have delved into all of the different mythologies the more i believe that each Deity is a different manifestaion of The Triple Goddess and The Horned God. Like how we all have many different sides of ourselves, or even other versions of ourself from other dimensions or realms. Again these are merely theories of my own they are in no way solid evidence :slight_smile:

7 Likes

My personal belief is that the Gods are like many a faceted diamond, and each deity is a different facet, a different face. But that’s just me.

7 Likes

There is a wonderful channel on YouTube ran by someone who goes by the name Ocean Keltoi. They are a Norse Pagan, I believe, and maybe lean more toward reconstruction, but their channel has a lot of great information. Let me grab a link…

7 Likes

Thank you <3 I haven’t seen this one yet :slight_smile: I’ve been watching the Wisdom of Odin channel for a few months and studying the mythology surrounding all of the Deities and traditions. Everyday is a learning curve <3

8 Likes

I love this analogy <3

5 Likes

You’re welcome! I strongly suggest watching Ocean’s videos on Wisdom of Odin, too, because he has been known to be a bit problematic :grimacing:

7 Likes

Thank you so much for pointing me towards this! I’ve just watched his video on the wisdom of Odin and the AFA I had no idea of the trans/homophobic and racism that ran through some of the Asatru communities :disappointed_relieved: I’m so sorry if I offended anyone. These are most certainly not my views at all and we are all children of the Goddess and God in harmony <3 Blessed Be <3

5 Likes

Oh dear, I didn’t mean to make you feel bad! I most definitely don’t think those are your views, they’re just the views of Wisdom of Odin and a lot of his following. I like to be aware of a creator’s views when it comes to that because I definitely don’t want to support them lol

7 Likes

You didn’t I was just so shocked I hadn’t seen it before now <3 and I wanted to affirm that I didn’t hold those views for the whole community’s benefit <3 I haven’t watched all of his videos yet and I’ve not seen the livestreams that are in the video because they are very long videos and I hadn’t found the time yet. I’ll be on the lookout for this kind of behaviour within the Asatru community so I don’t align myself with those energies. I really am grateful that you pointed this out to me, the darkness must always have the light shone on it to minimise its effects <3

7 Likes

I am very much into Norse Pagan mythology, I have not incorporated the Gods/Goddesses into my craft as of yet because there is still much for me to learn. But thank you to @MeganB @Francisco and @Liisa for the links and info!
I recently got these Futhrok Runes and I am learning about Frigg.

I agree with @Liisa and @Amethyst in that deities are like facets in a diamond, each side different but beautiful all the same.
Sidenote, I found my witch name yesterday, turns out to have Norse connections as well. Which just made me more excited about it. The name that chose me is Rowan. Im still trying to figure out how to change my user name…:laughing:
Blessed Be

9 Likes

Those are beautiful Runes :heart_eyes: Have you heard the story of how Odin received the knowledge of the Runes? I dont have a set yet but I do have wood discs and an engraving pen so once I’ve given drawing them a little practice I might make my own :slight_smile: They are really good to use for talismans and amulets and divination for the set you have <3 I do offerings for the Gods once a month, not all at the same time I choose each month based on the season/day of the week/moon phase and other associated deities. I only do single Deity offerings if I am asking for help and guidance with something specific. It’s what I love about Paganism in all forms, we can choose what resonates with us as long as we are causing no harm <3 I chose Liisa as my witch name because it is the form of my name that has Norse origins but also because I really do like my name :slight_smile: Freya is the only Deity I have had the pleasure of interacting with so far and it was intense but beautiful <3 I believe she has blessed my sister’s pregnancy with protection <3 Skal!

10 Likes

Thank you :hugs:, yes the story of Odin hanging himself from Yggdrasil to obtain the wisdom, The information I found about my name Rowan mentioned it’s myth of being a magickal ash tree and being believed to be a portal between Realms. I’d be honored if the myths are connecting Yggdrasil being a Rowan tree, but I’m unsure if that is accurate.
Liisa, is a beautiful name!
That’s amazing, I’d love to hear about your experience with Freya, if you’d like to.
Many blessings to your sister and her pregnancy.
SKAL!

8 Likes

@Rowan if you click on your profile picture in the top right & go to Preferences, where it says your username there will be an edit icon to change it. I want to change mine to my magickal name too, but I don’t have the option anymore. I had changed it way in the beginning when I signed up. @Francisco or @BryWisteria or another moderator may be able to reset the option for us though! I believe @MeganB is also a moderator! :blush:

5 Likes

Thanks @Susurrus , I’ll try but I don’t think I have that option anymore either…lol. I thought I did it yesterday, but I just changed my name not my user name.:laughing:

6 Likes

From what I have read it is either an Ash or a Yew tree? There’s lots of scattered information in the Norse arena, unfortunately :frowning: But if you feel a pull then there must be something that aligns with your energy <3

I dont mind sharing at all :grinning:
Past context on the subject: I have two cats male and female and they do not like incense at all, whenever I burn it they steer clear of the room till it’s gone. Cats are one of the animals associated with Freya.

It was about a month ago now I found out my sister was pregnant again (she has had some trouble and things have been hard for her) so I decided this time to do an offering to Freya for protection for her this I had grown my knowledge and practice a little. So I asked her if she would be ok with me doing one and she said she thought it was a lovely idea :slight_smile: So I set aside a weeknight and got to work planning my ritual, incense, crystals, offerings, steps in the ritual etc. I won’t tell those details in case revealing it does something. I will reveal that it was soft erotic poems and aphrodisiacs that I offered Freya though :). During the last part of the ritual when I was meditating on my intent and Freya’s energy. All of a sudden both of my cats are on me, purring and rubbing on me looking for attention, they never come near me during any meditations or rituals. Then I felt a total rush of what I can only describe as well, arousal, it only lasted a few seconds then disappeared back into inner calm. I didnt hear a voice but I felt her tell me she enjoyed my offering and then I felt all of the worries I might have been bottling up about my sister just slowly drain out of me, like a heavyweight that you didnt know was there. She didn’t hang around long but it was so powerful I was kind of glad it wasn’t long lol. I always give a little extra to Freya now when I offer any other Deity and I do devotionals to her more than most now I am grateful for her reassurance <3

8 Likes

@Liisa Wow, thank you for sharing that experience. I’m trying to think of a word to describe it, because beautiful just doesn’t seem enough.
There are so many connections/myths about the Rowan tree; Norse, Celtic (Brigid), but the takeaway I got from it or rather the key fact is it resonates protection, wisdom, and Magick. All of which I attain to have in my path. Also cool fact the berries of the Rowan bloom in a five point :star:.
Funny about your kitties, since I changed my altar around my boston terrier Franklin can not stay out of my room,:joy:. Yesterday he would keep going in there every chance he got!
Blessed Be,

6 Likes