Handfasting anyone?

I’m curious if anyone for their wedding ceremony, did the tradition of Handfasting?

I think we have finally set a wedding date and are far from wanting anything traditional in the sense of exchanging rings and what not.

I have looked up a lot about Handfasting but would love to hear from someone first hand who has done this or even someone who has seen it.

7 Likes

I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing a handfasting ceremony yet- but I am seriously considering incorporating it into my own wedding ceremony too! Handfasting seems like a beautiful and symbolic tradition that holds a lot of meaning :two_hearts:.

I would also love to hear opinions from anyone who has gone this route for their wedding ceremony! :grin:

6 Likes

I would love to hear more about this. I haven’t heard of it before. It sounds lovely though.

6 Likes

We had a courthouse wedding so there was no big ceremony, just a big party afterwards.

But handfasting ceremonies are more and more popular from what I’ve seen. It can be as simple or elaborate as you want, and you don’t have to be pagans to do it.

Here’s a simple demonstration of what it looks like:

And here’s the full-blown pagan version:

There are scripts available online that you can use as a template, like this one from Sacred Texts.

@janelle When is the date??

3 Likes

It does hold so much meaning just as a ritual itself, I totally agree with you. I get excited thinking about how that energy just radiates even more when there are two people putting their love and their intentions into it together. You said it perfectly, beautiful and symbolic!

I myself heard about it a few months ago when I stumbled upon a blog talking about it while I was searching for non-traditional weddings or alternative wedding ceremonies.

We are thinking of January 21, 2021. There will be no planets in retrograde! :sweat_smile: :hugs:
And thank you for this info! I am gonna check them out and get some insight to share with Keeton :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Handfasting is a beautiful and unique ceremony im wanting to do this along with a traditional wedding with my s/o

3 Likes

I went to one last summer! It was beautiful! The ceremony was like something out of a fairytale wedding. The two wives looked beautiful in their gowns and the ceremony was so spiritual and enchanting. Was the best wedding-ceremony I’ve ever witnessed.

3 Likes