Herbs and crystals

So, I have a couple of questions here. I found a few spells/rituals I’d like to perform, but I’m missing one ingredient for each, so frustrating.
Has anyone heard of a Columbian dream quartz crystal? I talked to my local new age shop and they have not. Can I use a substitution? It’s for a ritual spell to help my son sleep at night. He’s been having trouble falling and staying asleep lately. He’s been making some huge advancements with his learning and speech in particular. (Just a little background for the spell and intention.)
Next, lets talk Mandrake root. I read that peony roots can be a substitution. Is this correct? I also do not have either of those. Is it safe to handle Mandrake root? Can I use a different substitution? And lastly, for now haha, Rue. I do not have Rue but would really like to follow one of the spiritual protection baths on here. Is there a different herb I can use here? Is there an herb for everything? Kind of like how we can use white candles in replace of colors we don’t have? I do not have hydrangea blossoms either yet in replace of Rue. (Read on the herbal substitutions page). Thanks in advance and Blessed Be everyone! :purple_heart::green_heart:

7 Likes

HI @Assyla555! First… you can absolutely use a substitution for any herb or crystal…

I did a quick search as I have not heard of Columbian Dream Quartz & it seems to be a clear quartz with inclusions of Green Epidote. So I would say you could either:

• use a clear quartz & a piece of epidote
  • use a piece of clear quartz

Herb Substitutes

• Rosemary is a substitute for any herb in a spell.
  • Tobacco is a substitute for any poisonous herb
  • Rose can be substituted for any flower
  • Frankincense can be substituted for any gum resin
  • Copal can also be substituted for any gum resin

Herbs In Question

• Mandrake can be substituted with Tobacco
  • Rue can be substituted with Rosemary & a pinch of Black Pepper

For other herbal substitutions: Raven & Crone: Herb Substitutes

9 Likes

There’s a substitution for just about anything!

You’re in luck because @Susurrus shared just about everything I was going to share :laughing: the Columbian Dream Quartz sounds like an expensive way to take your money… I mean, it’s a quartz with an inclusion, not a super-duper rare mineral only found in very specific places, as far as I know. (Sorry, the crystal industry rubs me the wrong way sometimes…)

If you’re looking to help your son sleep at night and want a more affordable crystal, you can absolutely use clear quartz. You can also use amethyst to promote feelings of peace and calm as he goes to sleep. Rose quartz could be included to promote feelings of love, protection, and nurturing.

For the herbs, without knowing exactly what they’re for I can’t really point you to good substitutions. Rosemary is said to be a good catch-all herb when you don’t have others. You may want to give that one a try!

7 Likes

I don’t have herb recommendations, but I do have a three year old, so I understand the sleep regression. I’ve found that progressions in language tend to make mine have regressions in sleep - she just has so many new words to say! It is also a time when night terrors could start. Maybe a spell about staying calm or keeping nightmares away would be helpful?

7 Likes

Ah yes! He goes have night terrors here and there. I did too when I was younger. Very good advice on that one. Thank you fellow mama and witch :slight_smile: :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Thank you so much! You have such great advice and wisdom! So very helpful​:purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

6 Likes

@Susurrus theres a substitute for everything. U know i can find anything. Magikally or medicinally. @Assyla555 what @Susurrus posted are great for spellcraft.

8 Likes

I will look back in my notes for exactly what I needed mandrake root for. I’ve got so many things in this head haha. Good thing I write stuff down lol.

5 Likes

Thank you! I know you have an affinity for herbs right? I think I read something about it in the forum or on your profile. :slight_smile: :purple_heart:

6 Likes

The Rue is for a protective bath I believe, courtesy of spells8. I’ll have to check the mandrake root.

5 Likes

In case it helps, I sprinkle lavender oil on my father’s bed sheets. As his primary caregiver, I’ve found that lavender oil seems to help. I intermittently add a few sprinkles of lilac or rose.
Siofra is correct
The main ingredient is intention
It helps me when I bear in mind that generations of witches lacked specific ingredients and therefore used that which (pun intended) they had on hand. That may be the reason why spells for the same purpose/outcome may have varying, and even regionally dependent, ingredients.
So, for me, specific ingredients will harmonize more accurately with the outcome that you seek, like using Jupiter’s hour to cast a money spell will facilitate the outcome. But that doesn’t mean that the spell isn’t effective if performed on a Mercury Day during a Sun hour, or without clover and cinnamon.

Put this way, a surgeon can perform the surgery with a cleaver in an emergency, even though a scalpel is the preferred tool.

7 Likes

Thank you. That definitely helps and puts my mind at ease to know. :slight_smile: :purple_heart:

5 Likes

I think it would be suitable, then, to substitute another herb or plant ally that is protective :blush: use what you’ve got on hand!

5 Likes

Perfect! Thanks again! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Of course! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

@Assyla555 yesi do have an affinity for herbs

4 Likes

I ended up picking up a piece of prehnite with epidote inclusions. That’s all the local shop had right now. I’m going to go ahead and try using that with a piece of quartz.

3 Likes

Ooo I have a prehnite with epidote necklace too! They are very pretty :heart_eyes: I think that would be perfectly fine to use!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.