Working with Amethyst

**Amethyst**

Amethyst- a precious stone consisting of a violet or purple variety of quartz.
Amethyst is a violet variety of quartz. The name comes from the Koine Greek αμέθυστος amethystos from α- a-, “not” and μεθύσκω methysko / μεθώ metho, “intoxicate”, a reference to the belief that the stone protected its owner from drunkenness. Wikipedia

Color: Purple

Luster: Vitreous

Birthstone zodiac sign: Aquarius

Associated month: February

Crystal system: Hexagonal crystal system

Chemical formula: SiO₂

Amethyst is a natural tranquiliser, it relieves stress and strain, soothes irritability, balances mood swings, dispels anger, rage, fear and anxiety. Alleviates sadness and grief, and dissolves negativity. Amethyst activates spiritual awareness, opens intuition and enhances psychic abilities.

**There are various ways to cleanse an amethyst:
Water- rinse under a stream of water for about a min.
Salt- place in a bowl of salt for 48 hours.
Sun- set in sunlight for 10-12 hours (works with the moon, too)
Sound- a single pitch or tone washes over an area, bringing it into the same vibration as the tone. This can be accomplished using chanting, singing bowls, a tuning fork, or even a nice bell.
Smoke- sage, incense, candle are different forms of smoke to put your crystal through for about a minute.
Brown Rice- set in a bowl and cover the crystal with the rice for 24 hours
These are not every way possible to charge a crystal
Use your intention of course for the type of method you use and how long.
*You can use an amethyst by meditating with one, holding one in each hand to feel the energy exchange, sleep with it under your pillow, set near doorways, place in your pocket/purse/bra ( for the few of us ladies).

13 Likes

I got an amethyst stone yesterday! Thank you for the information! I am trying to put Stone information in my BOS.

4 Likes

I have an amethyst on my nightstand, dresser, jewelry box, in my hair, under my pillow I have it all over the place in my room. I think I need to take them all and meditate with my intention again. It’s been a while since I charged any of them. I think once I meditate with them, they will be more effective. I have some sitting on selenite wands and plates. My daughter has a heart shaped amethyst cluster. She said she got it so people would be happy around her. She went through a period where she thought everyone was mad at her, but she has been much better the past few weeks.

5 Likes

Oh , I’m glad she is doing better now. She seems like a sweet, precious girl!

3 Likes

You’re so welcome :revolving_hearts: @wendy4

3 Likes

How cool, The jewelry of today was a huge amethyst I have around my neck.

3 Likes

I’ve always loved amethyst. It’s my birthstone and purple is my favorite color so I’ve just naturally gravitated to it. Thanks for the good info.

4 Likes

As an Aquarian from February, Amethyst is definitely one of my stones!

Very informative post, Christina! Thanks for sharing!!

5 Likes

I’ve always found Amethyst to be so soothing and peaceful to have close by. While I usually prefer smooth stones (I use them as a kind of “figet toy” to help me focus my mind!) for some reason I always prefered the rough beautiful of natural rough Amethyst. The pieces tend to look like a landscape of purple mountains- I love them! :mountain::purple_heart:

This is great information, thanks so much for sharing @christina4! :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

They do look like purple mountains @BryWisteria and you’re welcome! Another you’re welcome to @Francisco, @Amethyst and @roxanne I’d like to do a featured crystal every week. Which one should I work on next?

5 Likes

I just got some regular obsidian and snowflake obsidian. So that would be great! Thank you so much for doing these, it’s a great way to contribute to the community! :grin:

4 Likes

Ok, I could do obsidian or :snowflake: snowflake obsidian and you are very welcome my dear!.

6 Likes

Coolness! That’ll be great! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Sounds good to me! Pyrite is another one I’d love to learn more about!

5 Likes

Put that one on the list!

3 Likes

My friend & I were told the other day that amethyst is the first stone many people think of when they think about crystals (I’m a random fact girl).

I have so many amethyst, and I never understood why I was so drawn to them in the beginning. Now I realize that my anxiety, depression, mood swings and a very heavy grief/guilt that I carried for years all played into it. It’s not my most used stone anymore (clear quartz, black tourmaline & selenite now), but it still holds a spot in my heart. And in my pillow, as the case may be lol. Great post!

7 Likes

Amethyst clusters are my favorite! This piece in particular reminds me of a little bunch of mountains :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

It does resemble mountains. :mountain::mountain:

5 Likes

Like some mountains in a fantasy world or something. Neat!

6 Likes

That would be awesome, @christina4! :heart_eyes: Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom about crystals- I found this one to be very informative and I can’t wait to see your next post! :pray::gem:

I hadn’t thought about this before, but I absolutely agree with you @haley :+1: Amethyst was definitely the first crystal I knew about- growing up, my mother had amethyst candle holders on the dinner table. I thin amethyst is common, easy to get, inexpensive (as far as crystals go), have a host of great benefits like you said, and are absolutely beautiful! It’s a great “starter stone” for people just getting into crystals. And it’ll always have a special place in my heart too! :purple_heart::sparkles:

It’s gorgeous!!! :heart_eyes: Like purple mountains in the distance, with the crystal peaks catching in the light :sparkles: @Amethyst and @christina4 said it well- it’s like a little fantasy mountain world in the palm of your hand! :gem::mountain:

2 Likes