šŸ˜Š Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - The Magick of Happiness

A warm welcome to all!

Thank you once again to the bright souls who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Solar Magick :sun_with_face:

The previous challenge called on you to draw inspiration from the sun to cast bright and brilliant magick. While this weekā€™s challenge involves a similar warmth in spellwork, this time that glow is something that comes from within :heart:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge draws on some of the seasonal love in the air and isā€¦

Witch Challenge Magick of Happiness

:blush: :heart: The Magick of Happiness :dancer: :laughing:

What is happiness? How can those of us who arenā€™t happy achieve it?

The pursuit of happiness has been a favorite topic of philosophers and psychologists, religious leaders and spiritual souls throughout history- it is a theme that is tied deeply into human nature and a natural desire we all have.

How does happiness relate to your practice? Is magick something meant to bring joy to you, others, and/or the world around you?

While there is the possibility to dig very deep with this theme (and please do so if it calls to you!), we all know it is a very busy time of year! As you ponder happiness and perhaps celebrate the joys of the season this week, please know it is absolutely okay to keep your entry simple during this busy time :blush:

After all, a challenge about happiness should never be stressful! :laughing:

So, are you ready?

Because itā€™sā€¦ CHALLENGE TIME!!!

:bell:

Art by Ira Mitchell-Kirk: Dance for Joy

STEP 1 : Happiness in Magick :sparkling_heart:

There are so many ways to pursue joy and delight in magick- so many, in fact, that it may be difficult to find a starting point!

To help you get started, here are some suggestions of things you might pursue for the challenge this week :grinning:

:blush: Spells for Happiness

Have you ever cast a spell or done a ritual meant to bring happiness? These spells could be applied to both yourself or someone else (just consider your personal magickal ethics before casting on others!)

ā†’ Happiness Spell Suggestions
ā†’ Jar of Sunshine Happiness Spell
ā†’ Moonlight Happiness: Activation Spell
ā†’ Byrdie Magazine: How to Cast a Happiness Spell on Yourself
ā†’ The Witchesā€™ Cookery: Happiness Spell Video

If you canā€™t find a Happiness/Joy Spell that you like, rest assured that you can always try writing your own spell! :sparkles:

tumblr_7c2154b1400e7895c4943b906f2abdea_d925fd89_400
Happiness Spell by TheGreenAthame shared on Pinterest

:writing_hand: Journalling

For thoughtful souls, why not explore the theme of happiness in both your practice and your life as a whole? Putting your thoughts into words is a freeing and creative process that can help you get organized and store away worries and burdens.

Some questions you might write about may be:

• What does happiness mean to me?
  • Does magick make me happy?
  • Are there times when magick does not make me happy?
  • Would I ever use magick to make myself (or someone else) happy?
  • When I cast, how does it affect my mood- short term and long term?
  • Is magick something necessary for my happiness?
  • Etc.

:gem: Magickal Tools of Happiness

Correspondences are a key aspect of magick- this week, consider researching and learning more about one (or more!) magickal tools or ingredients that carry the qualities of happiness.

ā†’ Herb: Oregano
ā†’ Food/plant: Lemon
ā†’ Crystal: Amethyst
ā†’ Rune: Wunjo
ā†’ Tarot card: The Sun

These are just a few ideas to help spark inspiration- feel free to find your own happiness correspondences!

Art from the Modern Witch Tarot by Lisa Sterle

:art: Crafting Happiness

Is there something in your magickal craft that brings you great happiness? Maybe you thrive when youā€™re working your art :paintbrush: or find joy in your cooking magick :woman_cook:

Feel free to pursue your interests and find delight in doing the magickal activities you love most :two_hearts:

:raised_hands: ā€¦And More!

Happiness can mean different things to different people, and one witch may pursue their happiness in different ways than another- this is totally fine!

Feel free to be creative in how you pursue happiness this week- just whatever you choose to do, make sure you enjoy it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Art by Liubov Kuptsova: Bird of Happiness

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

To participate in the challenge, please share:

1. How you pursued/explored happiness in magick this week

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new thread in the forums.

Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post so that I can easily find it- thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, December 28th at 7:00 AM EST (Eastern Standard Time)
( 2021-12-28T12:00:00Z )

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Art by Unknown, shared on Pinterest

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

99ed8ae76d615c5cfbd0140d9f7f7690
Art by Debbie Balboa shared on Pinterest

What makes you happy: is the question to ask.
Is it resting at home, or completing a task?
Be it a gift wrapped in gold, or warmth from the cold-
Happiness comes in such curious ways
But itā€™s something weā€™ve sought from the beginning of days.
Look to your Craft and the spellwork you do-
There youā€™ll find what happiness means to you!

Blessed be! :blush::heart:

18 Likes

My wheels are already spinning! :face_with_monocle: I think it may be a combination of things that I write about this week. I have been giving gratitude for things that I have & have accomplished even if it is day by day :sun_behind_small_cloud: or hour by hour :clock1: It helps with my anxiety & blocks negative thoughts. So I have had my happiness, comfort, family on my mind & itā€™s just enhanced; as is everything else, due to the time of year :christmas_tree: Iā€™m going to enjoy working on this one! Thank you! :blush:

13 Likes

Hmm, itā€™s best if I do something simple this week. Journaling orā€¦ jarā€¦ jarring? :rofl: Not the right word for making a jar. :laughing:

16 Likes

Happiness to me was explored yesterday ( Weā€™d, 12/22) when my sister and nephew visited for the day. My kids, my sister and I all made cookies while listening to Christmas music. It just brought out the twinkle in my kids eyes. That right there makes me happy and warms my heart!
Especially this time of year. I lost two auntā€™s in the same year, one on Christmas day and the other on New Years day. This time of year also brings back memories of when my kids father was alive and we had everything we could ask for. But, the memories are happy ones!
More happiness will be on Christmas morning when the kids awaken. Thatā€™s always magical! :sparkles:

14 Likes

Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - The Magick of Happiness
Well, my MP3 player will no longer talk to my computer, the little brat! So I ordered a new oneā€¦came yesterday. Yea! Thatā€™s happy for me.
Canā€™t say Iā€™m laughing (like a fool) happy 24/7.
Visiting my kids makes me happy.
But, remember, at my age [1001], content is good, satisfied is nice.
The man (Rich) has given me almost everything I asked for. Actually, I had met all my lifeā€™s goals by 35. Where do you go from there? Well, Rich wouldnā€™t let me skydive or ride the rapids of the Colorado River. Wouldnā€™t let me fly in one of those new, really super helicopters.
ā€œToo dangerous.ā€ (Sissy.)

Old saying: ā€œNo one can make you happy but you.ā€

Peace on earth?
Nice, but unlikely. People love war in a weird, macabre way.
End all disease?
Unrealisticā€“>over population. Youā€™d have babies falling out of the trees there would be so many.
So, anything you wish to improve mankind is almost self defeating before you get started.
Perhaps it isnā€™t really what makes you happy, itā€™s how.
OK, done with defeatist talk.

The Magic of Happiness:
I like kittens, Babies (baby anything). Well, maybe not snakes.

OH! I Knowā€“>

Double Chocolate Banana Bread

Super soft Double Chocolate Banana Bread. So moist, full of banana flavor & loaded with chocolate. So delicious & the recipe only takes 10 minutes to make!

Prep Time10 mins

Cook Time50 mins

Total Time1 hr

Course: Breakfast, Dessert

Servings: 10 slices

Calories: 343kcal

Author: Fiona Dowling

Ingredients

• ā…“ cup unsalted butter , melted & cooled to room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs , room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 Ā¼ cup mashed bananas , about 3 bananas
  • 1 Ā¼ cup all-purpose flour , spooned & leveled
  • Ā½ cup cocoa powder (yummy - chocolate )
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Ā½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (Isnā€™t that interesting?)
  • Ā¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (yummy - chocolate )
    You can add nuts if you donā€™t think itā€™s too over the top.

Instructions

• Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang, [or grease and flour.]
  • In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter and sugar, followed by the eggs and vanilla.
  • Stir in the mashed bananas.
  • Fold in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Pour/spoon the batter into your prepared pan.
  • Bake for 50-55 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (minus any melted chocolate chips).
  • Allow the bread to cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into slices.
    Notes
    *Store leftovers in an airtight container**Banana bread can be wrapped tightly in clingfilm and frozen for up to 2 months. Though in the fridge.
    Nutrition
    Itā€™s chocolate and bananas, who cares!
    Calories: 343kcal
    And absolute magick!
    Now is that happy, or what?
    (yummy - chocolate ):dragon_face:
    Bless you all, happy Holidays
    Garnet :grinning:
15 Likes

@Susurrus Gratitude work absolutely goes hand-in-hand with happiness, thatā€™s a great idea, Siofra! I just looked back over the challenge and I canā€™t believe I didnā€™t add in anything about gratitude work- thank you for mentioning it here! :blush: It sounds like you have some great plans in mind for the challenge- have fun with it! :sparkles::grinning:

@Kasandra If ā€œjarringā€ wasnā€™t a word, it is now! :joy::+1: Seems like a perfectly fine verb to me, and easier to say than ā€œjar workā€. Enjoy your jarring and journaling, Kasandra! :raised_hands:

@Christina4 That is so sweet, Christina- Iā€™m so glad that you and your family enjoyed such a happy moment together :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: The holidays can seem much darker with recent losses on the mind, so Iā€™m glad you are still finding moments that bring out the twinkle and warmth. May you treasure the happy memories from the past as you all make new happy memories to look upon in the future- wishing all the best to you and your loved ones! :sparkling_heart:

@Garnet Sorry about your old mp3 player, but awesome that you were able to get a nice new one! :grin: Reading your post made me smile- you have such a fun life story, Garnet! I think you are amazing for achieving your goals and finding happiness in your own unique way, you are an inspiration! :sparkles: And hooray for the recipe- Iā€™m in the same boat, anything with chocolate = happiness to me too :joy::chocolate_bar: :two_hearts: Wishing the same to you, Blessed Holidays!

13 Likes

Thank you so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts:

10 Likes

Oh, what a great challenge and perfect timing. I always have a hard time at the end of a year with being disappointed at things that I did wrong or being upset with myself for not doing more. Perhaps ending a year with happiness is the better choice.

Iā€™ve got a few things that caught my attention so weā€™ll have to see what I end up picking or perhaps combining to try my hand at the Magick of Happiness.

(love this card from my new deck!)

Thank you for this wonderful challenge

Kat

17 Likes

Seasons Greetings! For this challenge, I made a witch ball for my son to add to his Christmas presents. I wanted it to have protective elements in it as I wonā€™t be with him at Christmas but I also wanted it to have a sensory aspect. I put a note with it that itā€™s meant to be held and smelled rather than hung as it is kind of heavy and the top comes off when I try to hang it. But it smells wonderful!

I had a lot of fresh ever greens on my mantel and I added the artificial red berries for color. The solar salt I made last week smells so good! I was going to add a lock of my hair to the ball as a taglock but I decided to just insert it and swirl it around and then I removed it to be on the safe side. I blessed it and put it in his gift bag. I made a jar like it for myself - for happy mood.

3 citrine crystals - happiness
Cedar - protection, healing, purification
Chamomile - love, healing and reducing stress
Cinnamon - healing, protection and prosperity
Cypress - healing, calming, overcome grief
Fir - protection, prosperity, Yule
Juniper - protection, health, attracts positive energy
Orange peel - love, joy, abundance, spiritual connection
Pine - blesses home, strength, repels negative energy
Rosemary - health, memory, remove negative energy
Sage - healing, cope with grief, repels negative energy
Solar Salt - (Kosher and Himalyan pink salt, cinnamon, chamomile, orange peel)

15 Likes

This week, happiness was explored through magickal baking. Every year, I bake numerous amounts of Christmas cookies :cookie: while listening to retro Christmas music. This time of year is difficult for me, as this was a time when my family used to gather and create cookies and tamales by hand, but as I have gotten older, many of those relatives passed (most due to old age). I continue the tradition, and have passed it onto my children. This act of keeping memories and spirits alive always makes me smile (and sometimes cry because I long for those who have left this plane). I can always feel my ancestors with me as I create our food. This, to me, is one way in which I pursue happiness and feel magic around me :woman_mage:t3: - and it is most certainly present this year :grinning:

12 Likes

@Christina4 Youā€™re very welcome, Christina! :heart:

@Artemisia Iā€™m sorry this time of year is usually a hard one for you- and you arenā€™t alone, thereā€™s another thread called Yule and a Lazy Witch where many folks have said the same- it can be a really tough time for a whole bunch of reasons. I think you are very strong for hanging in there! :heart: And choosing to end the year with happiness is so inspirational, good for you for taking the power into your own hands! That is the perfect card- I feel happy just looking at his cute little face and the bright flowers. What a great interpretation of The Sun, thanks for sharing Katnabis! :cat: :two_hearts:

@mary25 Seasons Greetings to you too, Mary! :blush: Wow- look at that witch ball! :heart_eyes: That was brilliant to include the solar salts, and from looking at the ingredients I can image just how amazing it smells :drooling_face: That is a gift worthy of a king, Mary- your son is very blessed indeed! Thank you so much for sharing both your experience and the recipe! :sparkles:

@Athena Beautifully written, Athena- it sounds like a happy time mixed with the bittersweetness of nostalgia. I hope you enjoyed your magickal baking (any cookies left? Iā€™m on my way! :grin: :cookie:) as you honored a special tradition. May those who have moved on continue to watch over and guide you- it is a very beautiful thing to connect across time through beloved family traditions :two_hearts: Great job and thank you for sharing!

13 Likes

Iā€™ve got to admit that my whole life has been an adventure. I just thought of simple, mundane things as an adventure. ā€œLetā€™s go to the grocery store.ā€ And it can be, itā€™s just a matter of attitude. A trip to Europeā€¦oh yea.
A walk in the woods? Yep. Mom and I used to ā€œwalk the landā€ every night, talk about the day. (Those were nice adventures that I had forgotten. Thank you kindly Bry.)A cruise to the Caribbeanā€¦you betcha.
Life is what you make of it. Fun or Foul?
Garnet

11 Likes

I love this challenge! Self love is my new year resolution. I combined todayā€™s daily ritual with the weekly challenge. I hope thatā€™s ok. I made a self love bottle. I included white sugar, rosemary, hibiscus, bay leaf, lemon peel, rose petals, pink tourmaline, and garnet. Then I sealed it with pink candle wax.

14 Likes

Oh, I absolutely love everything about this idea! It looks beautiful and can imagine how amazing it must smell! What a wonderful gift. Well done!!!

Kat

11 Likes

I usually try to write something of my own on these challenges but thereā€™s nothing more perfect this week than sharing this video with yā€™all. Itā€™s a tradition in my family to watch the Christmas Carol. Every version you can find. This comes from one of my favorite versions and is so fitting I just had to share it with you.

Happy Yule everyone!

13 Likes

[quote=ā€œGarnet, post:12, topic:17613ā€]
Life is what you make of it
[/quote]Such a good point @Garnet Adventures can be found every where, and in the most unlikely of places! Life is beautiful and you never know where or when your next adventure may be!

10 Likes

That is such a great idea, and it is very beautiful!

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been here all of 5 minutes and this is exactly where I should be! Happiness is where I was lead in the first step of my journey to evolve. I stumbled onto this site searching for more involved shadow work! WHAT A BLESSING!
To start the happiness change/challenge I am going to shadow journal and color vibrant!
So Mote!

13 Likes

Yes! The Muppets are a treasure on this earth!

8 Likes

@Ostara :heart_eyes: what a beautiful self-love bottle. You have an amazing talent there!

I had the same thought line with adding some New Yearā€™s resolutions with my own spell jar. Iā€™ve had itchy witchy fingers since making my emotional healing spell jar for a previous challenge and Iā€™ve been wanting to make another.

I wanted to try and incorporate some joy and happiness in 2022 after the disaster of 2021 so i used:

Mint
Rosemary
Fennel Seeds
Cinnamon
Basil
Sea Salt
Bay Leaves
Star Anise
Oregano
Thyme
Yellow Rose Petals

Charged with a Citrine crystal.

I think maybe I was a little heavy on the wax. Iā€™ve never sealed a bottle with wax before and this is only the second spell jar that I have made.

If any one is curious as to what the purple and white layers are at the bottom. Itā€™s amethyst and clear quartz sand. Iā€™ve discovered a new thing and I kind of want to use it in as much of my spell work as I can. I very much had an ā€œooooooā€ moment in my favourite crystal shop.

16 Likes