Magick in Music šŸŽ¶

Warm greetings to everyone! :smile:

There are so many ways to draw energy and build up power within our practices- and one of the easiest and most accessible ways to do so is through music:notes:

As a witch living in a crowded metropolis :cityscape:, nature is harder to come by. While I love living in the city for its convenience, I often find myself lost in the chaotic energy here and craving the serenity of the deep woods and the ocean where I grew up :evergreen_tree:.

Music is a great way to escape into your mind and imagination, or to draw elements and energies into your practice! :sparkles:

Here are a few ways to use music to incorporate the elements and energies into your practice:

To invoke the element of water, listen to nature sounds of rivers or the waves of the ocean :ocean: . For more powerful magic, the soundtrack of a thunderstorm and heavy rain will bring more energy to your works :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: . For softer and more subtle magic, a soothing and fluid windchime bell could be just what you need :bell:. Here is a very soothing piece: Water Koshi Wind Chimes Meditation

The element of fire can be found in both the sounds of fire, in lively instrumental pieces, or in songs about powerful emotions. For more subtle fire energy, YouTube has many wonderful videos of campfire ambiance: Cracking Mountain Campfire :fire:

Wind/air energy can be found in the sounds of mountain breezes or in percussion instruments :wind_face:. The soft notes of a piping flute or the gentle sound of a Tibetan singing bowl can help to open your mind to find clarity, or to carry your spell forward :fog:. State of Zen by Mandala Dreams is a wonderful airy piece with notes that flutter like the wings of birds in flight :bird:

Earth energy can be grounding and solid- call upon this stable energy with instruments that have a deep sound- such as drums, chanting, or didgeridoo. The Chinese instrument Guqin and the powerful song Medicine Chant by Anilah both have the sturdy and set qualities of earth energy.

Do you use music to help or to inspire your practice?

If so (or maybe if you just love music!) please offer some recommendations of songs or artists that have helped to inspire you! :musical_note:

Feel free to share any spells, prayers, or incantations you know that use the power of music!

Blessed Be :blush::sparkling_heart:

13 Likes

Wow!!! So nice!! Thank you. I agree you have to have music and it sets the soul and tone. I canā€™t imagine living in a city anymore Cinncinati was the largest I have ever lived in. but we had some awesome nature not far away. Again Thank you!

7 Likes

Thank you, @roxanne! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes, living in the city has a lot of benefits, but I do miss nature! Especially lately with the quarantine and being stuck inside- music (especially the natural soundtracks) has helped me a lot in the past few months as I struggled to connect with nature. And thank goodness for houseplants! :herb:

Iā€™m glad you had some lovely nature close by in Cincinnati, and I hope you have surrounded yourself with more beautiful nature now! :sunflower: :two_hearts:

8 Likes

thankyou for the wisdom!
i connect with music while im working with majick

6 Likes

You are very welcome, @alisa! I am glad that music plays an important role in your practice too! :hearts:

What kind of music do you like to listen to while you work your magick? :sparkles::notes:

6 Likes

I found an artist Sagason on Apple Music which I listen to often; mostly while driving and it adds an ethereal feel to my driving. I am interested in other pagan music and artists people listen to as a part of their practice. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

Just looked them up on YouTube- wow, they have some amazing music! I havenā€™t listened to everything yet, but right off the bat Iā€™m loving ā€œThe Lone Wolfā€

Thanks for the recommendation, Korvo! :pray:

If youā€™re looking for more instrumental music, Adrian Von Ziegler has a massive collection of beautiful earth-based instrumental pieces. Some of them are based on/inspired by pagan traditions.

Here are three of my favorites at this time of year:

Iā€™m sure others will have more recommendations for you too- I hope you can find plenty of new tunes to enjoy! Happy listening! :notes: :dancer: :heart:

6 Likes

This is great. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Interesting that you mention thunderstorms. So I suppose, of the basic elements, it would be Air that is connected to lightning and therefore, by extension, electricity. :zap:

Which brings me to my music of choiceā€¦ Iā€™m really an electronic music main. I love darksynth, synthwave, house (funky, Chicago, witch house), trance (mainly vocal trance, but some classical, psytrance, goa, etc. is nice), psychill, future funk (the bass in these songs is so funky), drum n bass, phonk, vaporware, and so on.

I love to immerse myself in darksynth music, especially albums like the three AKUMA (which means ā€œdemonā€ in Japanese) releases by ALEX and TOKYO ROSE. Among them, my absolute favorite is the track AKUMA from the first album. It has this incredible ability to make me feel like a powerful and badass witch, one who not only embraces their strength but also delves deep into shadow work, confronting their pain and flaws head-on. This song has the remarkable power to transform my mood almost instantly, boosting my confidence and making me feel perfectly aligned with myself and the world around me. Listening to it is like a journey into practicing dark magick in the year 2100. :witch_hat:

(Potentially NSFW album cover.)

Ripples in the ocean
Rhythm in the midnight sky
Trying to find the time
Two lives, two rights
Freedom in the way we move
Feel it as it starts to soothe
Rivers in the mind we lose
I can feel it from a mile itā€™s truth

Darksynth music like this truly feels like the perfect fusion of my two worlds: the darker aesthetic combined with the technological prowess of electronic music. These aspects of my identity used to feel contradictory, as if they couldnā€™t peacefully coexist. I mean, how could someone whoā€™s deeply into computer science and the hard sciences also be drawn to the mystical world of magick? Even in books, itā€™s said they canā€™t coexist. But I think weā€™re proving them so wrong. My computer is really just a bunch of electrical pulses playing aboard circuits of metal and glass, after all. :wink:

During summer, I also throw on vocal trance such as the Sirens of the Sea album by OceanLab. The titular song is Sirens of the Sea. The experience is akin to taking a refreshing swim in the crystal-clear tropical waters of northern islands like Green Island. As you venture further out, youā€™ll find that the water remains pleasantly shallow, typically not exceeding a depth of about one metre.

Image Source

When I want to sleep, I listen to the slightly too funky The Four Horsemen Of The Electrocalypse by Bluetech. My favourite is Dancing On My Own Grave.

I mean, if there was an album that portrayed my dark humour, this is it. :joy:

Edit: Sorry for throwing some electronic music into here. I know in many circles, itā€™s just seen as noise. But Iā€™m really passionate about it. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Iā€™m happy if you like them too, Korvo- enjoy! :heart: :notes: :blush:

Well Iā€™m sold! :laughing: :+1:

Listening to AKUMA now- and gosh, I can see what you mean- it is powerful :muscle::sparkles: This isnā€™t a type of music that I usually listen to, but I think that when the mood is right I can absolutely see myself jamming out to this :notes::dancer:

(Also Sirens of the Sea has been added to my YouTube playlist I use for working out- another great one! :ocean: :mermaid: )

Thank you so much for sharing, Katerina! :heart:

3 Likes

You, perhaps inadvertently, bring up a good point. Similar to the moonā€™s natural cycle of waxing and waning, our high energy levels cannot endure indefinitely. We, too, must traverse these phases, oscillating in energy much like the lunar orb. Through each phase, we gain the opportunity to explore different facets of ourselves, new concepts, and experience growth in diverse ways.

In my case, switching between music genres with varying energy levels has served as my personal embodiment of this process.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved Damh the Bard, Erutan, Kelliana, andā€¦ there are a few more that I canā€™t think of right now :sweat_smile: but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll think of some soon.

I also really like using modern music in my spellwork. One of my favorites is Castle of Glass by Linkin Park. I wrote about it here if you wanna read it. Itā€™s from a previous challenge! Iā€™ll have to find some more witchy or pagan music around YouTube or something. I need more music in my life!

3 Likes

Not anywhere near as eloquently as you put it, but I feel like a mini-version of this beautiful message could go on a t-shirt: ā€œNew moon phase, new music, new meā€ :grin:

I feel like this can happen on a slightly longer cycle rotation based on the seasons- I donā€™t know about anyone else, but Iā€™ve found that my taste in music can shift depending on the time of year :maple_leaf: :leaves: :snowflake: :notes:

Erutan! They have some amazing music :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cheers to that! :dancer: :notes:

3 Likes

Same. For example, that Sirens of the Sea album only really gets played during the hot sunny days of spring and summer. Swimming in crystal clear waters is the last thing I want to think about doing in winter. :smile:

I think I also tend to only listen to classical music in autumn. Vivaldiā€™s Four Seasons and Bachā€™s Cello Suites (Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, PrĆ©lude is a favourite) get some good mileage that season.

About 10 minutes ago I discovered this composer. From Australia, coincidentally!

Iā€™m not going to link any particular video. Looking through this list, I can see different songs calling to different people. Draw a song as you would a tarot card, letting your intuition guide you.

So Iā€™m leaving that general link there while I go listen to the GoĆ«tia album by candlelight. The heat dissipated this morning with a strong wind throughout the day and this night is crisp, accompanied by the pattering of falling rain.

5 Likes

The Monsters Within. Nice, especially the ending bit. And Grogaldr. Really a huge variety of sounds. Thanks.

3 Likes

I love this- Iā€™ll go ā€œdrawā€ a song at random and see what calls to me! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Looking through the list of songs, I can see some are marked as ā€œwatchedā€, although I donā€™t remember having heard them before- I went for ā€œWaltz of the Bone Kingā€ and was not disappointed :dancer::heart:

Thanks for sharing, Katerina! I can see Iā€™ll be enjoying plenty of the songs here :pray: :two_hearts:

3 Likes