Megan's Tips for Relaxation || Let a Witch Unwind!

If there is one thing I know for sure it is that I absolutely suck at relaxing. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I work from home and my work day and my non-work day tend to blend together. I do not have set hours that I work. I just work when I have time. I put everything together with my current to-do list as a witch, business owner, and homeschooling mom. This often leads to feelings of overwhelm or, when the case arises, family members commenting that I work too much or that it seems like I am always working. I mean, they are probably right but still…no one likes to hear that, right?

So when thinking about how I relax as a witch, I actually tend to pull away from magical practices. This is because I do not want to be tempted to post about my witchy relaxation on social media. I know this should not be an issue but unfortunately it is. When my online business and space revolves around my witchcraft practice, it becomes too easy to fall into the trap of posting absolutely everything I do. Instead, I take time away from my phone and being online and I just get back in touch with the natural world around me.

So, here are a few of my tips on relaxing as a witch and busy person in general.

Put the Phone Away

Yes, you read that right. I know that if you go online and look up ways to fall asleep easier at night or ways to relax when you are stressed, the number one thing to do is to limit your screen time. The same can be said for us witches. I know this is not the most witchy tip but it is one of the most important.

Sigil for Screen Time

One thing I plan on implementing (yes, I have not done it yet) is a sigil to help me limit my screen time. This can be included as an image on your phone that is created to activate after a certain amount of time. It can also be used as a background image on your phone so you have a visible reminder to limit your screen time.

Ground with the Elements

We all know how grounding sitting outside can be. You can take this a step further and ground yourself using all four (or five) elements. When we get stressed out, frustrated, exhausted, or just over everything, we can see these as physical manifestations of elements being out of balance within ourselves. Whether you work with elements in this manner or not is not important, in my opinion. Even if you only choose to use the visualizations as psychological aids, I still feel they work just as well.

:earth_element: Earth - The Earth is a very physical element. It is stable, our foundation. When our foundations are shaken we often feel unstable. Stick your hands or feet in the ground (or just go for a walk in the grass barefoot) and feel your foundation become more stable. Lean into the energy of the Earth for your stability.

:air_element: Air - For me, Air is an element of anxiety. When I feel anxious, I feel very out of breath. My chest gets heavy and tight. I often feel like a fish out of water. Besides having anxiety (diagnosed), it is a good idea to ground with Air when you are feeling worried about something in your life. Find a quiet place to sit and practice box breathing. This is a simple relaxation technique that is said to calm the nerves. Breath in for four counts, hold for four counts, breathe out for four counts, and hold for four counts. Of course, if you have difficulty with this, taking long and deep breaths can work just as well.

:fire_element: Fire - When someone is very angry, we often say they are “seeing red”. For me, this translates over into the elements as well. If you are angry, hurt, upset, or even enraged, lean into the element of fire. One way that I find helpful is to have a red pillar candle specifically for this purpose. Actually, this is a practice I’ve been using with my daughter who is learning how to handle her emotions. Hold the candle with both hands and visualize the situation that is making you upset. Push all that frustrated energy into the candle before lighting it. As you light it, sit and meditate with the candle as it helps to calm your upset. Please use candle safety. Also, please note that this is not a replacement for honest conversations with those that have upset you nor a replacement for righteous anger and activism.

:water_element: Water - As air is a representative of my anxiety, water is the element of my depression. Magically speaking, water holds emotions and represents all things we feel. When I am feeling very depressed and emotionally empty, my go-to method is going for a swim if I am able. If swimming is not an option, then I take a nice bath or shower. Water has always been my element. I have always been a swimmer and have felt at home in the pool or the ocean. In fact, swimming in the ocean is a spiritual experience for me and is one that is very cleansing. Lean into the energy of water if you are feeling sad, depressed, or emotionally empty. Please note that you should take caution if you are feeling suicidal or having thoughts of self-harm. Always tell a trusted person when you are having suicidal thoughts and get the appropriate care you need.

Go Outside

Most witches feel a connection to the world around them. Living in the modern world does not always offer us the ability to connect with nature on a regular basis. At the very least, most of us spend a majority of our day inside either working, taking care of children, or keeping a home. No matter how long it is, take some time to go outside and recharge. Sit under a large tree. Do some work in a garden. Stand on a patch of grass at your apartment complex. Whatever you can do to connect to the natural world around you, the world in which we belong, can do wonders for your spirit. Never forget that we are not outside of nature. We are part of it. I just feel that sometimes we may lose touch with that side of ourselves.

A Final Note

I have been feeling very overwhelmed with everything lately. I have been very busy and very emotionally…not empty, but emotionally turbulent, I suppose? This past weekend was the perfect opportunity for me to recharge. On Friday I had the opportunity to go to a beach in my area with my daughter and some other homeschool families. A swim in the ocean was something I desperately needed. We swam for several hours, enjoyed the sunshine, and found some beautiful shells and sand dollars.

My family decided to go fishing the next day, too. This was not at the beach but I spent the entire day out in nature nonetheless. This was a much needed recharge for me, I think. I know I am still feeling heavy in the chest and heart but that is to be expected for me.

In any case, this past weekend was something I needed and I hope to have more days like this in the future. Also, all the pictures in this post are mine from over the weekend. I hope you liked them!

So, witch, what do you do to relax? Because I am tired of being tired all the time.

Continuing the discussion from :couch_and_lamp: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Let a Witch Unwind!

13 Likes

First of all, lovely pics! You have a good eye! Two of them. LOL! I love your ideas with the elements. Earth can be the calmest because, for the most part, it is so still. These are some great tips! I like the sigil for the phone idea too! I’ve only had a smartphone for a year but it’s amazing how fast I became addicted to the little thing.

8 Likes

I love how you like to unwind @MeganB beautiful pics and I wish I lived close enough to go to the ocean. I liked how you spoke about the elements and how they relate to you. Excellent challenge Entry Megan.

8 Likes

Honestly, the best time I had was without the phone near me. :hugs:

I do some of those things but wouldn’t mind trying the other couple that I saw on there. When it’s sunny :sun: I am outside at some point & we spent the bulk of the weekend doing things outside! I feel the best when I am working with my yard whether it’s the gardens, driveway, a fire, raking, watering… just being outside in the sun. I sit on my porch with the pups throughout the day for little bits at a time. I have to figure out if my home wifi works on the back porch :thinking:

Great entry, I am the worst when it comes to relaxing… it’s like, “what do I do?” sounds strange but it’s a weird concept to me that I am re-training my brain to be able to make it a priority. Thank you for the new ideas too! :heart:

10 Likes

Wow, I am blown away by this, @MeganB! You have some amazing insights and ideas. Thanks for sharing! :hugs: :heart:

7 Likes

This! :point_up_2: :sparkles: Out of all the things I’ve tried, this has been what works best for me when it comes to refreshing by far.

And I absolutely agree about the nature part- it is a two-step process! Being able to step back from electronics (phone, computer, TV, even the radio) is great, but then getting outside and immersing yourself in nature is the important second half of it :national_park:

This was a really great read and you have such amazing pictures! :ocean: :beach_umbrella: Thanks for sharing your methods for relaxing and I’m glad to hear that you and your family had such a fun weekend! :heart::blush:

6 Likes

I completely agree. When I can be outside in my yard or on my porch in the sun listening to nature or watching it or working within the yard… with no phone is the most relaxed I feel & the most comfortable I am with myself.

6 Likes

@Amethyst – aww thank you :laughing: I am quite partial to my eyes! I haven’t created my own phone sigil yet but it’s one of those things I’ve been meaning to do.

@debra2 – Thank you :pray: The ocean is one of my biggest ways to relax and unwind! :ocean: The tie to the elements just came to me as I was writing this because I realized that this is actually a lot of what I do anyway! I just finally put words to it.

@Susurrus It’s that “what do I do now…?” thing that always gets me. I’m so used to being busy and just going, going, going. I hardly ever have time to just stop and it gets me into a guilt spiral of not being productive. I’m always reminding myself – and I know I’ve probably said this before – but resting and healing is productive on its own!

@BrightBear Thank you!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m happy to share!

@BryWisteria Now if I could just get myself to ditch the phone for more than a few hours at a time I’d be set :laughing: but since I work from home, my phone is my communication with my fiance throughout the day. I have removed a lot of apps that were distracting, though, so that’s helped a lot! :earth_africa: We are getting to the point in the year where it’s almost too hot to go outside, so I’m hoping I can have more time in the mornings or later in the afternoons to get in the pool. The water isn’t quite warm enough yet but on really hot days it is refreshing!

5 Likes

The only word that comes to mind is - Same

5 Likes

@MeganB That’s a great approach- removing “time wasting” apps and ditching negative social media platforms are both really good ways to remove temptation from the phone and make the time we do spend using it more productive and meaningful :grinning: :+1:

We had our first really hot day here yesterday and it took me completely by surprise- trips to the pool to stay refreshed sound like a great plan to me! :sunglasses: :ocean: Stay cool and enjoy your cool-down adventures at the pool, Megan! :heart:

5 Likes