My First Chant and Why I Love Them || Witchy Challenge Entry

Chants are synonymous with witches and casting spells, and it’s no surprise why. Most witches love a good chant! This week’s challenge is a fun one because I also love a good chant. I have several that I love listening to and chanting along with, though I don’t often create my own.

The First Chant

One of the first chants I can remember learning was We All Come From The Goddess , mostly attributed to Z. Budapest. It has now been adapted into song more times than I can count, but the original still puts me in a witchy mood (even though I’m not Wiccan anymore).

We all come from the Goddess
And to Her we shall return
Like a drop of rain
Flowing to the ocean

There are alternate versus now that make up for the lack of God in her original chant. She is a Dianic Wiccan with a heavy focus on Goddess worship, often leaving out God in general. Some of the more masculine chants are listed here.

Hoof and Horn; Hoof and Horn
All that dies shall be reborn
Corn and Grain, Corn and Grain
All that falls shall rise again

or

We all come from the Sun God
And to Him we shall return
Like a ray of light
Reaching to eternity.

Finding a Lost Object

I have no idea when I found this particular chant, and I probably remember it wrong because it’s been so long, but this chant is one I found that helps to find a lost object.

Bounding binding, binding bound,
What is lost must be found.

Again, I have no clue where this chant came from. I have tried finding the original source but have had no luck. It might have come from a Scott Cunningham book, but I’m not sure.

Finding Warmth

This chant is another one that I’ve had in my mind for a long time. Unlike the other one, though, this one is easily found on Google and comes from the website Everything Under the Moon. This little chant is used when you’re cold to bring you warmth.

I am warm,
Warm as fire,
All the warmth,
Is my desire.

Miscellaneous Chants

I have a few others that I listen to that are in song form that I’ll link here. I really like these when I’m driving in the car. They’re easy to chant along with and easy to remember. Plus if you use them before spellwork they can really put you in that witchy mood!

The Witches’ Reel by Kelliana

Stonehenge by Kelliana

Kelliana’s entire Walk with the Goddess album

Actually, you know what? Most of my favorite chants put to song are by Kelliana so I’ll just leave the one link here for you.

Why are chants so enchanting?

You know it wouldn’t be a post of mine without some sort of information on why things happen. There are not a lot of scientific studies done on why chanting can be beneficial, but there are two links down at the very bottom that may have some explanation. Rather than get too scientific, I want to tell you why I think chanting is beneficial within polytheism and witchcraft.

Chanting in Witchcraft

Most times what we imagine within witchcraft involves witches gathered around and chanting ancient spells (usually in Latin…) to get what they want. This image is not far off from what we actually do, but I think there is a very simple explanation for why we use chants and rhyming couplets for our spells.

Put simply, they are easy to remember! For example, if I were to say to you, “Ring around the rosie…”, chances are you could recite the rest of the nursery rhyme to me no matter how old you are. Rhymes are catchy and our brain easily holds on to them. They are also fairly easy to come up with! If you are trying to cast a spell and you don’t want to have a large piece of paper with you to remember your spell, the easiest way to commit it to memory is to repeat a rhyming chant.

There is also a section of the Rede of the Wiccae that says spells should be spoken in rhyme.

To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Saying our spells in rhyming verses can also lead to more effective spellwork if we believe that the couplets and duality of rhymes affect our magic. Otherwise, I think rhyming spells are simply easy to commit to memory.

Chanting in Religious Practice

Another reason for chanting is for religious purposes. Chanting has been done in many different religions across the world for many different purposes.

Among a variety of religious activities, praying and chanting are quite common forms of practice in major religions including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, etc. In Southeast Asia, chanting Amitābha Buddha is among the most common religious practices, and it dates back to Indian Buddhism1. Buddhist practitioners of the Pure Land School have integrated the chanting of the name of Amitābha throughout their daily activities. According to the religious beliefs of Pure Land practitioners, the consistent chanting of Amitābha is a mind-training technique that can “hamper conceptual proliferation, quiet the discursive mind and the elimination of one’s wanton grasping after the fleeting impressions of the senses”. Source - Frontiers in Psychology

Within my polytheistic practice, chanting is a way to change my state of consciousness and bring me closer to the Divine or my Higher Self. It is almost a form of trance or meditation. Chanting the words repeatedly gives me something to focus on and allows me to bring that focus on exactly what I want to connect with. Chanting can be used to give thanks, to pray, and to ask for protection. My religious chants aren’t ones that I tend to use repeatedly and I don’t have any to share here, but any prayer you use over and over can be a chant. As an example, the Hail Mary prayer in Catholocism.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us sinners, Now and at the hour of our death. Amen. Source - Rosary Center

When prayed in The Rosary, this becomes a chant and a method of being mindful and bringing attention to the specific situation you’re in and why you’re praying The Rosary.

Overall, I guess for me chanting is very personal. I can usually come up with a quick chant to repeat as needed. I will always remember, though, the first chants I ever learned and how they made me feel.

Sources and Further Reading

Chanting is an ancient practice… || News Article

The neurophysiological correlates of religious chanting || Scientific Journal

We All Come From The Goddess || Our Chants

Hoof and Horn || Our Chants

Warmth Spell || Everything Under the Moon

Continuing the discussion from :notes: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Enchanting Chants

12 Likes

I enjoyed reading this! Thank you for the wonderful information.

I am going to write down

&

I am the coldest person I know, my father uses this to try to get me to move to FL all the time. Or he just tells me how much warmer it is there than it is here :joy:

I am constantly misplacing things because my brain started acting wonky over the last couple of years. My multitasking skills are gone & my short-term memory is just plain awful at times. I can correlate it to stress & anxiety… a constant work in progress for me. So thank you for the information & little chants… I will use them as much as I need to going forward! :heart:

8 Likes

i relate to this statement so hard :laughing:

I’m glad you liked it, though. It does get pretty warm here! Right now it’s thunderstorming and raining but it’s still about 90F :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

6 Likes

Oh I am bookmarking this one :heart: thank you so much :heart:

6 Likes

How does chanting differ from prayer?

6 Likes

I did not know that! I almost always hear this chant with the Goddesses chant and they work well together. Thank you so much for all this information!

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing these meaningful chants, Megan! This was a great read with lots of insightful information- thanks so much for your wisdom! :notes::heart:

From my understanding:

• A chant is channeling power and intention through words, and is usually spoken to the tune of a rhythm, rhyme, or beat.
  • A prayer is communicating with or invoking the holy or sacred.

So I believe that a chant can be a spoken form of prayer. But not all chants are prayers (chants can be for celebrating an occasion, for example) and not all prayers are chants (prayers can be just a wish that is mentally visualized without the form of words)

But others may have differing thoughts on this! :+1:

6 Likes

I can familiarize with that!!! I love the feeling!!!
But thank you for this beautiful and informative entry!!!

5 Likes

Glad you like it @Liisa :heart:

@Garnet – for me, chanting is more about getting into a specific frame of mind before prayer or ritual. Chanting can definitely be used as a prayer though, so it all just depends on the person.

@Amethyst Yeah! That’s one of the first ones I ever came across when I was a wee baby witch at like, 12 years old :laughing:

@BryWisteria @christina4 I’m happy to share!

5 Likes

I guess the closest I’ve come to chanting was the rosery and or penance after confession.

6 Likes