Elemental Association(s): Water :ocean:
Deity Association(s): Nornir

Herbal Association(s): Aconite :herb:
Tree Association(s): Beech

Astrological Association(s): Saturn :astrology_saturn:
Month/Days: January 13 – January 28

Chakras: Sacral, Solar Plexus, Third Eye
Tarot Card(s): The High Priestess, Wheel of Fortune, Justice :balance_scale:

Magickal Uses: Increase connection with the unseen world. Use in conjunction with Laguz :laukaz: to help increase psychic powers. Use to increase luck or use with Nauthiz :naudiz: to appeal to Norns to reweave fate to your benefit.

Overall Meanings/Keyword(s): Fate, Destiny, Luck, Illumination, Secrets, Transformation, Karma, Chance, Destiny, Divination, Choice, Primal Law

The ancient Norse were serious about gaming. The gods assisted when the dice were rolled. Either the act of throwing/tossing dice or other playing implements.

Little difference between techniques & tools of rune casting & gambling. Gambling was a passion among Germanic peoples. Testing luck was the same as their essential being.

Something to be filled & drunk from. Hand of fate through karma or Divine predestination is showing strongly in one’s life.

Power order & purpose behind the seemingly random events.

Intense forces of change from behind the scenes are occurring currently. Perthro :pertho: suggests positive forces unless shown with negative runes.

A reminder that not black & white is an oversimplification of fate into good or bad. The change referenced is associated with an infinite amount of complexity & subtlety.

Fate exists at a level we can never truly know what seems true may be false.

Brightstave/Upright: A good source of joy to powerful enlightened ones. Good “lot” to have. Good fellowship & happiness indicates constant evolutionary change & growth. Entertainer or musician. You may soon be on the receiving end of luck & something unknown. Creative, fierce, spontaneity

Merkstave/Reversed: Too much of this force such as an addiction to its pleasures, can cause chaos, destruction, & confusion. Use of it leads to dissipation & squandering of vital forces. A stoppage of this force results in stagnation, loneliness, & withering of life’s pleasures. Malaise. Maybe psychological issues present that need to be explored. May not mean a readiness to explore hidden mysteries. A desire that is not accompanied by the wisdom of experience. Tread carefully.

Sources:

• Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

• Kristina, Jillian. “Wild Runes Deck - Tamed Wild.” Nashville Metropolitan Area, Nashville, 2020. Wild Runes Deck

• Simonds, Josh. The Beginner’s Guide to Runes: Divination and Magic with the Elder Futhark Runes . Rockridge Press, 2020.

• Thorsson, Edred. Big Book of Runes and Rune Magic: A Complete Guide to Interpreting Runes, Rune Lore, and the Art of Runecasting . Red Wheel/Weiser, 2018.

7 Likes

Thank you @Susurrus I look forward to learning about a new rune each Tuesday!
:heart:

6 Likes

You are very welcome. I enjoy learning about each one as much as I can too. I figured there had to be others with the same curiosity as myself! :heart: I’m happy that you look forward to them. :people_hugging:

6 Likes

A rune of fate and of turning the tides- Perthro has a bit more abstract concepts for me than some of the other runes, but that leaves the door wide open for ways to interpret it in readings. I particularly like the notes about how to use it with Laguz and Nauthiz! :+1:

These rune posts are always so great- thank you for sharing your wisdom, @Susurrus! :heart::pertho:

4 Likes

Always a pleasure. I like having the information all in one place so it’s easy to access.

If I had the time to figure it out, I could use the Spells8 background & make them into printables for the site.

I’m getting ahead of myself :smile: I still have to finish the runes that are left first. :heart:

The Norse have a couple that are very abstract in their concepts, but it gives insight to their way of life. Gambling was & testing their luck or chances was something they did quite often, so it makes sense that one of the runes would be associated with a dice cup or rolling the dice.

4 Likes