Problem while Meditating

Greetings from Romania!
Hi everyone, my name is Roxy and I’m a newbie. :slight_smile:
I have a problem that’s been bothering me for awhile. When I try to mediate my eyes instantly open. I can keep them close if I try hard enough, but then my focus is only on keeping my eyes closed. I don’t know what to do anymore :frowning:
If you have any tips for me, please answer.
Thank you all in advance!
Have a blessed day, everyone!:hugs:

8 Likes

A very warm welcome to you, @diavoline! :heart_decoration:

Meditating can be tricky for sure- good for you for sticking with it! :grin:

Can you tell what is causing your eyes to want to open? Perhaps there are distractions nearby (sounds, people, etc.) that are keeping you alert. Our bodies will naturally try to address any threat or distraction- so if you are trying to meditate in a noisy, public, or space you feel is unsafe, it is natural that you wouldn’t be able to relax.

Try meditating in a safe spot during a quiet time. Perhaps right before bed when you feel sleepy. If you fall asleep while meditating- no worries! The goal at first is just to get used to the feeling of relaxing and being at ease in your own mind and body :woman_in_lotus_position::two_hearts:

Meditating is a rewarding but challenging practice, so here are some beginner-friendly guides with tips, advice, and encouragement:

You might also consider the Guided Meditations that can help you to focus. The Tea Meditations and Candle Meditations are wonderful for beginners.

Guided-Meditations-750x500

In fact, with tea and meditations and candle meditations, your eyes can stay open and focus on the object of meditation. You might also consider walking meditations or video meditations where you don’t need to keep your eyes closed as well :+1:

Good luck and happy meditating! :woman_in_lotus_position:

9 Likes

Unfortunately, I can’t blame it on the noises or external distractions because I make sure for everything to be as quiet and relaxing as possible before starting.
I also use crystals sometimes, but they don’t seem to help me much either, even after cleansing and charging.

**But thank you so, so much for the tips and methods! **
I can’t wait to try them.:purple_heart:

5 Likes

When I first started I couldn’t keep my eyes shut either. I would light a candle and softly gaze at the flame. This helps a lot. If you can’t burn a candle pick something on the wall or a picture…and keep the gaze soft but keeping it on that one object you chose.

8 Likes

Welcome! I find that when I try to soften the outer corners of my eyelids, that helps. Maybe try to center yourself before you try. I hope that helps bc everyone should know how to meditate!

6 Likes

Will do!
Thank you very much!!!:blush:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the tip.:blush: Will do!

4 Likes

Welcome @diavoline … I don’t know if I can add much to the wonderful suggestions you have received from @christina4 @SilverBear @BryWisteria and anyone else I may have missed… but I will just say that when I was taught meditation I was told closing the eyes is optional and that if you notice your brain pulling you back into focus just make note of the thought and then imagine placing it on a leaf in a fast moving stream and mentally watch it float away. I liked that image because you didn’t have to compete with the thought or chastise yourself for being pulled out of ‘trance’… Our brain is not linear and will go where it wants. Be gentle with your self. Congratulate yourself for trying… you will get to where you want to go. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Everyone here gave you awesome advice! :+1:

I just want to add that everyone can and should try meditating with open eyes. It can help a lot with being non-attached to the visual experience. Then you can meditate anywhere you go.

In any case, it’s not a big deal. Whatever feels more natural to you (eyes open or closed) is what you should be doing right now. Your eyes will close when they are ready.

5 Likes

Hi there Roxy! Everyone has given great advice but I’m gonna throw my two cents worth in. Get a sleep mask and wear it to meditate until you get used to sitting with your eyes closed.

Hope that idea helps!

5 Likes

Welcome! I’m so happy that you are here. It’s a great place for questions and support each day.

I used to have problems with meditating. Now I have found what works for me. If I try to hard, the same thing happens to me and that is my only focus. You can also try a soft focus with your eyes, so they are almost closed, but not completely. Sometimes that works for me when I am having a hard time.

6 Likes