Sacred Cave Rituals

I just learned recently how to pre-melt candles to put in all the herbs and scents! Ritual candles aka Sacred Cave Candles.
Warm them on foil and a cookie sheet on a low 200 degrees and once they are see-through from melting sprinkle the herb straight from your mortar and pestle!

10 Likes

Interesting. Bet your home smells lovely.

4 Likes

Wow! Great idea!! Gonna load a whole tray of votives! Thank you for great idea!!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your project with us @amanda5. You did a great job! :candle: :candle:

I can’t really see the wicks from here but just as a piece of general advice, I’d like to share this tip from Candlewic:

“Several candle-making projects floating around suggest adding dried rose petals, lavender leaves, cloves and other natural ingredients to your candles. Under no circumstances should any of these be used where the wick comes in direct contact with the materials. Companies that do embed these types of items in their candles have spent significant time developing their process and ensuring that the wick will not come in contact with these materials.”

3 Likes

Looks lovely, @amanda5! :blush: :candle: I’m with Berta- I can imagine they smell absolutely wonderful! :two_hearts:

As someone who doesn’t usually make their own candles but has an interest in doing so this sounds like good advice! Thanks, Francisco :grin:

Am I right in thinking this is because the raw materials may ignite and become a fire hazard if they are touching the wick? Or maybe there is another reason? :fire:

3 Likes

Nope, that’s exactly the reason. Like this picture here…

Image Source

Just gotta be careful when you burn it!

5 Likes

I haven’t made my own candles in years! I was thinking that it would be something interesting to do & I had thought about how to get the herbs & such in them. It makes sense that you wouldn’t want the dried herbs near the wick for those reasons! Thank you.

3 Likes

Oh goodness- thank you for the picture, @MeganB! I can definitely see how the natural materials could cause a dangerous situation :astonished:

I love the idea of herbs and additions in the wax, but when I go about making candles in the future I’ll be sure to keep this in mind (and keep everything to the outside of the candle- away from the wick!) :candle:

Good luck if you choose to jump back into candle-making, @Susurrus! It sounds like lots of fun :blush::+1:

2 Likes

When I did it we used big pots of melted crayons and string, so we made 2 at a time. The way we melted the candles and dipped them, they came out marbled. They looked really good. I think I could make different candles now that I’m not in Girl Scouts though. Maybe try a jar candle or something. I would love to make one with the herbs and crystals like I have at home. But, right now I think I will stick with using the string to dip them and ease into other styles.

2 Likes

I am practicing fire safety by burning in the cauldron with a safe range of clearing around the rim. Yasss…in the end when the wax evaporates, it flares. However, it does smell AHHHmazing, and after you smother that final flame, I like to think that the smoke is the herbal magick in action :woman_genie: stay safe always. Namaste PS~i used teacups

4 Likes

Melted crayon candles sound like fun, @Susurrus- I can imagine all the different colors make for beautiful combinations! :crayon: :rainbow:

When you say teacups, do you mean you made teacup candles, @amanda5? :heart_eyes: I’ve only seen teacup candles a few times and they are always adorable- they make great gifts! :candle:

5 Likes

They made some good swirly ones. I liked those the best. They lasted longer than I thought they would too! It was really fun to do.

3 Likes

You put it really well right there! :mage: I can imagine that smoke rising and filling the space for a great final of the ceremony. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I definitely love :heart: the sound of this :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: sounds real colorful :rainbow:

3 Likes

Ermahgaddd!! I was not thinking about actual teacups until you said teacup candle… how PRECIOUS would it be to put an actual wax candle inside of a teacup like…how cute!? I think you and I just made an enterprise!:kissing_heart::star_struck::sunglasses: with macaMOONS bath bombs or something! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Ahhhh when you said teacup I was absolutely picturing a cute little candle in a teacup :coffee: :candle: :joy: Guess a little misunderstanding led to a fun idea- and ooohhh bath bombs too! :star_struck: I love the way you think, @amanda5! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Other than the occasional cat litter reminder to change, it usually does smell pretty fantastic. :laughing::see_no_evil::sunglasses:

3 Likes