Suggestions for headache remedies

I get frequent headaches and they mostly turn into migraines. I heard peppermint helps but is there other remedies my fellow witches use?

7 Likes

I know peppermint is a very popular one. One that used to work for me when I was a kid was putting pressure on a point on my hand between my thumb and my index finger. Let me see if I can find an illustration… :laughing:

Okay, so it’s one of these – the one on the hand on the left (the top of the hand) that says “eyestrain, headache, shoulder stiffness, refresh”.

(https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/14707136270898189/)

I was taught to put pressure in that spot for about 15 to 30 seconds, then release. Wait a minute or two and then do it again. Repeat it a few times, drink some water, and then wait about 30 minutes. If it doesn’t go away, try again.

6 Likes

I used to get a lot of migraine headaches. Sometimes, I would get them coming out from a dark room or building into the sunlight. Chocolate used to be a trigger as we’re certain smells, like the smell of spray paint or other solvents. I found that drinking just a little caffeine – like 4 oz of cola or 1/3 cup of coffee – helped me because typically I do not drink caffeine. It constricts blood vessels and I would get very quick relief. You can also try putting one finger on one nostril, breathing deeply through the nostril, then switching a few times. You can try eating mostly natural foods and avoiding processed, fried, salty and fermented foods for a while. And no smoking. Good sleep hygiene is important, too.

7 Likes

I’m taking an herbalism class and these are a couple recipes that were suggested for headaches. I hope this helps!

Headache Tea (Adapted from Herbal Academy of New England)
3 parts lemon balm
3 parts meadowsweet
2 parts feverfew
2 parts chamomile
1/2 part lavender and/or catnip

Use 1/2 cup of herb blend per 1 quart of water. Drink throughout the day.

Headache Tincture (Adapted from Herbal Academy of New England)
4 parts skullcap
2 parts valerian
2 parts crampbark
1 part blue vervain
1/2 part ginger

Take 1 teaspoon at first sign of headache, continue with 1/2 teaspoon every hour until symptoms subside.

If you’ve never made a tincture before, I would suggest using a small sanitized jar (4 oz or so) and fill 3/4 full of dried herbs. Then fill it up with your choice of at least 80 proof alcohol (or use vegetable glycerin) and let it marinate for a moon cycle or two. Shake it up once a day and top off with alcohol if the liquid drops below the herbs. The longer it marinates, the more potent it will be. Strain out the herbs and store for up to a year.

8 Likes

What can one say about the Migraine Headache?

It is the third most prevalent illness in the world, and one of the most debilitating, with the Foundation describing a brutal and varied rogues’ gallery of symptoms: “Visual disturbances, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, extreme sensitivity to sound, light, touch, and smell, and tingling or numbness in the extremities or face.”

Roller Bottle blend for Migraine (Essential Oils Recipe)
Fill a roller bottle with a carrier oil such as jojoba and add 10 to 20 drops of essential oil. This simple but effective combination of Lavender and Peppermint essential oils can then be applied to the neck, shoulders, or wrists as needed.
·10 drops of Peppermint essential oil
· 5 drops of Lavender essential oil

Bath recipe for Migraine
Listen, who doesn’t love the occasional hot bath anyway? Instant stress reliever. But if you add a few drops of Chamomile (for relaxation) and Rosemary (for pain relief) essential oils, diluted in jojoba oil and milk to aid dispersion, to the bathwater, you’ll discover additional comfort. Turn the lights off and relax.
·4 tablespoons jojoba oil
·1 TB milk
·10 drops of Chamomile essential oil
10 drops of Rosemary essential oil

Temple Rub for Migraine
No time for a proper massage? Try a mini-massage (aka temple rub) for a quick alternative. Mix coconut oil with Peppermint and Lavender essential oils, and keep small cosmetics for pain relief at your fingertips.
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 drops Peppermint essential oil
2 drops of Lavender essential oil

:warning: Mod Note: Source from https://www.labaroma.com/blog/10-essential-oil-recipes-for-migraine

Tension Headache? → Peppermint
diluted peppermint oil solution may reduce the intensity of tension-type headaches after 15 minutes.
10 drops peppermint oil to
1-ounce carrier oil, like jojoba or coconut, and massage into the neck and shoulders.

Stress Headache--> Lavender, Frankincense, Neroli, or Citrus
Pick an essential oil you love and inhale 1-2 drops from a tissue, add to an essential oil diffuser, or apply 1-2 drops to your palms with a carrier oil, rub them together gently, and inhale deeply.

Migraine: Lavender
Add 1 drop of lavender to a teaspoon of unscented face cream, massaging the jaw, temples, and forehead.

:warning: Mod Note: Source from 8 Essentials Oils for Headaches and Migraines - How to Use Essential Oils for Headaches

I personally like peppermint, rosemary, and lavender. but the choice is yours
Blessings
Garnet

7 Likes

There is a post about a Migraine tea that may helps!

6 Likes

Warm greetings @christinastillion!

I am so sorry to hear about your headaches- I get them from time to time too, and I know they can be debilitating :worried:

You’ve got some amazing suggestions here from the coven already! If I can, I’ll add in a few things that helped me with my headaches.

When I was going through a really tough time with headaches at the start of this year, I got ice and heat packs to help treat the pain. The ice pack was just ice, but the heat pack had lavender in it- the warmth and relaxing scent helped sometimes, while the ice helped the aches other times. I alternated depending on how I was feeling during the pain :ice_cube: :fire:

My aunt has severe migraines and says that, for her, she needs to put aside all electronics, go into a dark and quiet room, and rest/meditate until the pain passes. This has helped me too when they get really bad.

There was also a guided visualization technique- it doesn’t work when I’m having extreme migraines, but for light headaches it does sometimes help. Let me see if I can find it…

Wishing you all the best and praying that you find a remedy for the headache pain soon- good luck and blessed be, Christina! :heart::pray:

4 Likes

As a migraine sufferer, I understand your pain (pun intended). In addition to the above advice, I use lavender and lemongrass in my diffuser during the day. I also have a pain roller that I apply to my neck, lower head (where the neck connects), and temples when I first notice the pain.

Pain Roller

• Juniperberry - 2 drops
  • Cypress - 2 drops
  • Rosemary - 5 drops
  • Thyme - 2 drops
  • Black pepper - 2 drops
  • Clove - 2 drops
  • Lavender - 15 drops

Add the above essential oils to 1/2 oz carrier oil of your choice (I use sweet almond). Mix well and place in a amber roller ball.

6 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs has a recipe for a migrsine or headache tea:

Migraine Tea that may help too.

I have also used putting my feet in warm water, rice pillow on my head laying down with my feet elevated.

I have Chronic Migraines & headaches just kind of pop up when I’m stressed or overwhelmed or both :laughing:

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that you suffer from frequent headaches. I’ve been suffering from headaches whenever there’s a big change in the temperature. Have you gone to a doctor to see if there’s any prescribed medication that you can take? Other than that, I recommend chamomile tea and/or chamomile/lavender essential oil. If you have any crystals, you could carry green adventurine with you. I’ve been using one to help my mind stay calm during the pain.

6 Likes

Yeah I’ve been given medication but it’s gotten bad to where I have to do a monthly shot which is 300.00 once my hsa resets for the year. So trying to think of other things to help but understand that I might still need the meds. Just frustrating at times.

8 Likes

@SpanishWitchy awwwww thanks love

7 Likes

Migraine Tea - #28 by christeena heres an oil recipe that i posted before, since others already tagged the tea @christinastillion

6 Likes

@christinastillion is the shot emgality?

6 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs - Yes it is

6 Likes

@christinastillion if u contact the company directly u can try to join their LillyCares program. Depending on your circumstances u may be eligible for free or reduced shots each month. I get mine for free, and they are automatically sent every 3 months. My co-pay was going to be $340 per shot, and like u i dont have that. Market value for each shot is $3000, and ive come to love mine.

6 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs

Thanks I’ll give them a try.

6 Likes

@christinastillion u are very welcome. Let me know if u need their number

6 Likes

Not to sway anyone’s decisions on their personal medical care, I have chronic severe migraines. I get shots, but they are the Botox shots once every 12 weeks & my doctor also gives me injections in my jaw joints…

They also have a program where they pay for the visit & medication.

So I would say to search for Emgality cost help or go to their website, they may have information there about any savings programs or coupons :thinking: not sure what it would be on that one :face_with_monocle:

@Mistress_Of_Herbs does have great recipes for teas & oils, but I agree with her to look into the payment/savings options.

6 Likes

@Susurrus awwwwww thanks twinsies

6 Likes