Top 10 Herbs -> 🌿

I am looking to expand my herb collection. What are the top 10 must have herbs?
I have sage, rosemary, lavender, thyme – I read mugwort was a great one to add.

4 Likes

I have read that Mugwort is also a good herb to have, but I wouldn’t recommend keeping it around small children or animals due to it’s psychotropic nature.

I also recommend keeping around some fennel, nettle, oregano, and juniper.

Fennel is healing and promotes confidence.

Nettle is also healing and promotes protection when burned.

Oregano is a symbol of joy and happiness.

And Juniper is one that I keep around literally because several Juniper trees grow on my property. When burned, Juniper cleanses the same way sage does. It is a sacred tree in the Irish Pagan faith as it was sacred to the Celts and the Druids of the time.

3 Likes

I have a few favorite herbs to add too!

Basil is great not just on pizza but to attract love and luck. It’s very easy to grow indoors too!

Angelica root is said to ward off illness and evil spirits

Cinnamon is used as incense to invoke love and strenghten communication

Ginger can be used as aphrodisiacs or energy drinks, to prepare food as libation to Sun and Fire entities and deities.

4 Likes

where do you get Mugwort and what is it used for im new lol

2 Likes

You can get Mugwort at a Metaphysical store or online.

In modern witchcraft, Mugwort is used primarily as a visionary herb. Mugwort amplifies psychic vision and may induce prophetic dreams.

An herb of the Goddess as Crone, Mugwort encourages wisdom and observation.

Mugwort is an excellent helper for confronting difficult truths.

Mugwort has a hay-like, herbal smell reminiscent of dried Sage and Chrysanthemum.

Hang a bundle near the front door to prevent evil from entering. Hung near the bed, Mugwort is said to aid in astral projection.

Sleeping on a pillow or sachet stuffed with Mugwort (with Jasmine, Rose and/or Lavender) brings clear and memorable dreams.

Burn Mugwort over charcoal as a divinatory and purifying incense. Mugwort is sometimes tied into bundles to make smudges. (It repels insects, too!)

Precautions

Safety Issues: using mugwort internally is controversial. Many sources consider it unsafe, regardless of species. Other sources regard certain species, such as Artemisia Vulgaris, safe to ingest. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD NEVER RISK taking mugwort for any reason, as it’s an abortifacient.

Mugwort tea has been taken internally to help ease heavy menstruation, kidney stones, gout and bowel problems. It’s been used to expel parasites and worms as well.

References

The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch’s Book of Magickal and Enchanted Herbs and Plants by Gerina Dunwich

Medicinenet.com - Mugwort

Botanical.com - Wormwoods

Southern Herb Growing by Madalene Hill & Gwen Barclay

5 Likes

Bay leaf is a must have, any kind of leaves from trees, any mosses, flowers etc that grow in your area… even dandelion… collect all native and around you…

3 Likes