Herbs: Treasures in Plain Sight 🌿

:herb: Herbs: Treasures Hiding in Plain Sight :sparkles:

Climbing their way through cracks in the sidewalk, sprouting up uninvited in front yards, and popping up in surprising places even in the heart of the city- these plants are often labeled as ‘weeds’ and not given a second glance. However, some of these ‘weeds’ have a host of medicinal benefits! :astonished:

Here a few common weeds that may surprise you with their lesser-known potentials!

:yellow_heart: Dandelions

These bright and cheery yellow flowers are among the first to pop up and announce the coming of Spring. Dandelions (Taraxacum officinale) are important to both the health of local bee populations and the health of the community! :honeybee:

While many plants only have some edible parts, Dandelions are special in that all parts of the plant are both edible and medicinal, in addition to being a plant high in antioxidants. Dandelion roots can be dried and steeped in water to make a tea or ground up to make a hearty coffee, both of which offer relief for constipation and can help to improve both appetites and cure digestive issues. The fresh flowers and greens can be added to brighten up salads or decorate cakes and bread. For magick purposes, dandelions can enhance psychic ability, and bring wishes into being :pray: .

The Green Witch on Youtube has a beautiful Lemon Dandelion Hand Pie recipe that also includes a Spiritual and Emotional Cleansing Spell :sparkles: .

For anyone with an interest in history, know that dandelions played an important role in early American history. Commonly turned to in times of economic trouble, dandelions were used to make free, easily accessible, and healthy salads during the Great Depression. Clara, 94-years old at the time of this video, shares a charming recipe for a historical Great Depression Dandelion Salad. Dandelion coffee was used as a pick-me-up during the Civil War- as discussed in this Dandelion Coffee recipe on the Hard Times Food Channel :coffee:

:green_heart: Plantain

Though it shares it’s common name with plantain bananas :banana: , this is a different and hearty plant that is known to be a nightmare to landscapers for its endurance. The genus Plantago has over 200 individual species that can be found throughout the world! :world_map: While a hindrance to yard owners, the strikingly green leaves are delicious in a salad, and the plant is known to have medicinal qualities to aid throat and cough complications. Plantain can be used to both reduce inflammation (especially in the throat area) and promote healing :adhesive_bandage:. Healthline has a great article with loads more information about The Weed Plantain for those interested! :herb:

I’d like to share a (rough recreation of a) recipe I was taught when I studied with an herbalist and healer in Italy. The rolling hills of the hot Tuscan countryside had plentiful plantain (or ‘piantaggine in Italian!) which we combined with the honey from the beehives on her estate :honey_pot: .

Plantain Honey for Sore Throats

• Harvest and clean young plantain leaves

• Put them in a cleansed jar

• Add locally sourced honey

• Let steep for at least a week

Add a spoonful of honey to warm water with lemon, or to your usual tea for added boost to fight coughs and sore throats! :coffee::two_hearts:

:purple_heart: Clover

Both white clover (Trifolium repens) and red clover (Trifolium pratense) have beautiful puff-ball flowers and are commonly found in many places around the world. They can be recognized by their symbolic leaves with 3 (or, if you are very lucky- 4 :four_leaf_clover:) leaves. Clover can be used to purify the blood and can aid in respiratory illnesses. While the taste of white clover and red clover flowers differ slightly, they can both be eaten raw. As a child, I used to sit in the fields and suck out the sweet honey-like nectar contained in each of the small petals! :yum:

Homespun Seasonal Living has a lovely recipe for Strawberry White Clover Cookies :strawberry: . And Common Sense Home has a very thorough guide to Red Clover, including medicinal benefits and uses as well as a delicious recipe for Red Clover Jelly.

Don’t Forget- Safety First! :herb:

If you are harvesting herbs in public or unfamiliar places, be sure that:

1. You are certain the plant is what you think it is. Always cross-check with resources (such as online plant databases), or a trusted herbalist or wild forager :open_book: .

2. The conditions make it safe to consume! It is not a good idea to eat plants that grew in a place where pesticides or chemicals were sprayed. Always thoroughly wash the plants you collect to keep yourself safe from potential contaminants :soap: .

3. And as with all medicines, it never hurts to do research and consider checking with your doctor and/or a trusted herbalist to make sure an herb is a good fit for you and your unique body :hugs:

Whether you’ve safely collected them or grown them yourself, Dandelion, Plantain, and White/Red Clover have a surprising host of medicinal benefits and are very versatile herbs that can be a delightful addition to your recipes!

Have you used these plants before?

• Danelions
  • Plantain
  • White/Red Clover
  • These herbs are new to me

0 voters

Are you a Green Witch or a Kitchen Witch? Do you have other herb recommendations to share? Please feel free to share your knowledge and experiences below!

And if Green Magic calls to you, you may also be interested in Herbs for Anxiety, Herbs and Plants for Immunity or a discussion about the Top 10 Herbs :green_heart: .

May you always have the resources you need for your craft, and may your magick guide you to find treasures in unexpected places!

Blessed Be! :sparkles:

6 Likes

I love dandelions :herb: :two_hearts:
Apart from their magical properties, my mom and I used to collect them and make jam out of them when I was a kid; happy memories :blush:

3 Likes

I’m glad dandelions are so happy and nostalgic for you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Do you remember how you made the dandelion jam with your mother? :sunflower: I’ve seen a couple recipes, but haven’t tried my own batch yet! Do you like to leave/add some flowers to the jam, or strain it to make more of a clear jelly? I’m always looking for any recommendations I can get when it comes to jams/jellies- I eat so much of it, I really need to make more of my own! :laughing:

3 Likes

It’s been a while, but I found this recipe online which sounds pretty much like how we used to do it. And we did strain it to get the leaves out; but I guess that depends on personal preference as well :blush: if you end up trying it out let me know how you like it! :dizzy:

4 Likes

Ohhhhh thank you for sharing this recipe, @christine4! :two_hearts: I love that the recipe calls it ‘vegan honey’- the dandelion jam really does look like beautiful golden honey! :sunflower: :heart_eyes:

I’ll definitely let you know if I give the recipe a try! :grin: I went for a walk yesterday to scope out the new area… unfortunately it looks like dandelion season is just about over here in Warsaw, I only saw a small few left :cry:. Dandelion jam will have to wait for the next season- but now I’ve got a great recipe to make use of them when they come back- thanks again! :sunflower::two_hearts:

2 Likes

On my walk around the new neighborhood, there was a cute strip along the road with lots of grass and plants. And I saw something surprising!

There aren’t too many dandelions left around here, but I saw a scraggly few- along with red clover, white clover and plantain! :heart_eyes:

I have never seen all three of these herbs in the same spot before :flushed:- and this is just days after posting here about these three specific plants. Coincidence? :eyes:

I think it’s a very good sign! :blush::pray:

2 Likes

Foraging is my new favorite thing! I’ve been taking classes, using the Picture This app and reading the book Northeast Foraging by Leda Meredith. This is a great post. I particularly enjoy the recipes. Recent things I’ve harvested: Black Raspberries and White Mulberries (the pie I made was amazIng!), Bayberry Leaves (currently drying), Lavender and Garlic Mustard. :slight_smile: There is SO much Plantain in our yard but my husband keeps cutting the grass before the seeds dry lol.

2 Likes

Awesome! I love foraging too, wild blackberries have just started emerging over here, just waiting for them to rippen before we go picking :purple_heart:

3 Likes

This is the first year we got to them before the birds! It’s fascinating that they don’t all ripen at the same time, so you have to be quick and go multiple times a day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ohhhh such wonderful treasures you’ve gathered! :heart_eyes: :pie: Foraging is such a great practice- it helps bring awareness, appreciation, and leads to finding so many yummy (and healthy!) goodies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hahaha oh nooo! :laughing: I wouldn’t be too worried about the Plantain- it is incredibly hardy! It should keep popping back, no matter how determined your husband is to keep the lawn trimmed :grin: :+1:

2 Likes

Oh yeah I think my lawn is 99 percent plantain LOL. I just noticed today it’s like nothing ever happened :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! :laughing: Plantain is a great herb- I hope you have a chance to collect some before your husband cuts it down again! :herb: :blush:

1 Like