Kitchen Witchery- Summer Cooking with Basil! 😋

Hearty greetings to all! :heart:

Here in Poland the weather is hot and sticky- I love to cook, but it’s just not a great time to be firing up the oven! :hot_face: With the markets full of delicious summer fruits, veggies, and herbs, I really want to make some fun dishes- without slaving away in a toasty kitchen!

Here is one of my all-time favorite summer recipes- it’s quick, easy, chill, and there’s no roasting or toasting involved :grin: :+1:

:herb:~Summer Caprese Salad~:tomato:

This classic Italian recipe stars one of my favorite herbs: Basil.

Basil is an immensely popular herb that can be used in a wide variety of recipes. It is very common in Italian cooking and is often added to sauces and pizzas! :pizza:. It comes in many different varieties- from thin tiny leaves, to purple basil, to the thick and luscious leaves of Genovese basil! :yum:

Delicious and easy to grow, basil is a wonderful addition to an outdoor herbal garden or an indoor counter/windowsill garden. It enjoys warmth and sunlight and is simple to grow from seed or clipping. Basil is a great plant for those wishing to get into herbalism or gardening! :herb:

Did You Know?
If you or a friend have a thriving basil plant you can make more plants from clippings! Simply cut a medium-sized stem just below a new sprouting of leaves. Place your basil clipping in a cup of water and leave it in a bright and sunny spot. Change the water every few days and watch as your new baby plant grows roots!
Once the roots are a few inches long, you can transplant it into soil. These baby basils can grow your own basil collection, or they make great gifts for friends and family! :seedling:

Basil isn’t just delicious- it also has a host of magickal properties and benefits for your craft! :sparkles: Take a look at the Spells8 page on Basil: Love & Luck Magick to learn about this very versatile herb.

Basil-Herbal-Course

Delicious, healthy, and… what’s this? Something I learned recently about this long-time favorite herb: Basil also attracts money! :moneybag: To use your basil plant to help attract fortune, try the “Fresh Funds” Spell to Attract Money with Basil Leaves :money_with_wings:

Spell-with-Basil-to-Attract-Money

With all the goodness in basil, it’s time to put it use in a tasty and cool summer recipe! :memo:

Caprese Salad

• :herb: Fresh basil
  • :tomato: Tomatoes
  • :cheese: Mozzarella cheese
  • :champagne: Olive oil (just a splash!)
  • :salt: Sea salt
  • :salt: Black pepper
  • :funeral_urn: Balsamic vinegar (optional)

Dice the fresh basil, mozzarella, tomatoes, and olive oil and mix them together with salt and pepper. If you are using the basil for a magickal purpose, now is the time to thank the plant for sharing it’s leaves and focus on your intent. Draw on the basil to bring in luck, fortune, and health :sparkles:.

If you are serving it plain, you may like to drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on top. If you do, you must eat the Caprese Salad right away! :plate_with_cutlery:

Serve the Caprese Salad cold in small bowls, on top of a tossed salad :green_salad:, use it as a serving on pizza :pizza: , or sprinkle it on cooked pasta :spaghetti: for a delicious meal! :yum:. One of my favorite ways to eat it is on a fresh slice of bread from the bakery :bread:

:woman_cook: For all the other kitchen witches out there, you may also be interested in:

:green_heart: Green witches, plant witches, and anyone with an interest in herbalism- feel free to also check out:

Have you made Caprese Salad before? Do you have another favorite summertime recipe? Feel free to share! :yum:

Blessed Be and Happy Kitchen Witchery! :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Beautiful recipe! Thank for sharing @TheTravelWitch! One to try this week :heart:

1 Like

Looks so refreshing, might have to try this

1 Like

If you love Basil, I have another great summer salad recipe :blush:
it consists of:

• Fresh Basil

• Watermelon

• Cucumber

• Cashew nuts (optional, but I love them!)

• Balsamico vinegar

Just dice the watermelon and cucumber, and mix with all the other ingredients. Super tasty and very refreshing :blush: :herb:

3 Likes

sounds yummy yummy @christine4

2 Likes

Let me know how it goes if you give the Caprese Salad a try, @mrs and @Katt! :blush::two_hearts:

Ohhhh this sounds mouthwatering- and so many cool, fresh, summer ingredients! :star_struck: I bet I can find watermelon and cucumber at the market :watermelon::cucumber::yum: This sounds like a perfect snack for a toasty summer afternoon- Thank you so much for sharing, @christine4! :heart:

1 Like

I love basil! For some reason it’s expensive and hard to find where I live now (in Oregon). I used to have basil on pizza all the time! :pizza:

This is what we have now. It’s growing!

3 Likes

Fresh from my home to my plate

5 Likes

It’s looking good, @Francisco! :herb::grin: Hopefully you will have enough to harvest to make some very tasty pizzas! :pizza::yum:

Beautiful, @Katt! A perfect summer dish :yum::herb: Bon Appétit! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

That looks very good! I love basil and balsamic vinegar things! I am making balsamic green beans and a chicken and apple salad for lunches here. I think I will add some basil to it! I also love the idea of making more basil from basil, I have a couple of plants in my garden and I would love to expand the herbs that I have growing in there. I think once they are big enough I will clip some from each! Thank you for the recipe and the ideas! I hope you have a great rest of your day!

:star_and_crescent: :star_struck: :star2: