Trigger Spells - How to Make & Use Them

Sometimes we may have a situation that requires a spell, yet there may be conditions outside our control that could arise that we do not know about. Including a trigger in your spell can handle those conditions if they happen, keeping you covered for those just in case moments.

What is a trigger spell?

Let’s think of trigger spells in the very simplest of terms. They are essentially an “if, then” statement put into magick form. “If this happens, then this will happen.” A trigger can be included in a spell you are already casting or it can be a spell on its own. It is a placeholder spell for magick that you want to work, just not yet. These can be helpful for those moments when you want to cover everything that can happen. You can also use a trigger spell to get everything ready beforehand, then trigger the spell with a word, phrase, sigil, or hand movement when you need it!

How To Create A Spell Trigger

In this section of the post, we will walk through creating a very basic trigger for a spell. This can be applied to literally any spell, so the only limit is your imagination and intention.

Create Your Spell Trigger

Decide on the spell you want to cast. This will determine the type of trigger you use. The trigger can be a hand gesture, a word, or a phrase, just to name a few things. You should choose a trigger that is easy to remember and easy to use. If you plan on using the trigger in public, you will want to choose something that is subtle, as well. It probably is not a good idea to use a grand gesture or string of words spoken aloud if you will be around a lot of people!

Cast Your Spell

Gather your ingredients and cast your spell as normal. The only difference here will be the intention that the spell will be activated at a later date, so you will not be completing the spell fully As you cast your spell, you can end it with an intention statement that the spell will only be activated upon the trigger. When you get to the point of activation, insert your trigger. One phrase you can use is this: “I bind this spell and energy until I snap my fingers and say [trigger word].

Activate Your Trigger

When you are ready to release the spell, use your trigger. At this time, the energy of the spell will be activated and the spell will begin its work!

Simple Trigger Spell For Protection

To put this into practice, I have created a simple protection spell to be used for protection when in a large group of people. I learn better with examples, so hopefully, this helps you understand how a trigger spell can be used!

You will need…

1. Cast a circle if you would like.

2. Spend a moment in meditation, centering yourself and collecting your thoughts. What are you doing? Whom or what are you protecting yourself against? When you are ready, light the candle.

3. On the paper, write an intention statement of protection. You may also draw a sigil, rune, or another symbol that you associate with protection.

4. Hold the paper in your hand and visualize (or feel, for my friends with aphantasia) an energetic barrier around you. This barrier is impenetrable - no energy or harm is allowed through it. When you feel ready, say the following:

I call forth the energy of Earth to protect me as I walk this path. I bind this spell in my words, when uttered “ward”, I am protected. This spell is bound to me and my words.

1. Hold the paper over the flame and allow it to burn in the cauldron.

The energy from this spell will be waiting for activation. When you are out and about and need this protection, speak your word, “ward”, and call forth the energy of the spell.

Trigger spells are an easy and effective way to lay the foundations of complex magick. This is one example of how easy it can be. They can also be layered and as detailed as you would like. You can use a trigger spell to protect you, return energy to a sender, activate money magick, and many other things!

What would you use a trigger spell for? Let me know in the comments!

16 Likes

This is good. Bookmarked for later. Thankyou :green_heart:

10 Likes

Sooo… is this a trigger that I could use on a spell i charge into a talisman or staff? Could this be triggered at any time with the use of one word when needed? Seems to have some interesting possibilities. :witch_cauldron:

:goat:

11 Likes

You’re welcome @tracyS :heart:

@Shadeweaver – Yes, this trigger can be versatile and used in so many different ways. For example, if you’re charging a talisman, you can make the trigger action by rubbing the talisman in a specific pattern. The spell in the talisman wouldn’t be activated until you rub the talisman!

11 Likes

I think I might create one for when I’m with my dad!

8 Likes

Ooh! I’ve been waiting for this at the edge of my seat. Thank you thank you thank you!

Most of my protections are continuous, but they can protect me from positive energy as well as negative. Sometimes, I want to walk out in the wild without, but need a boost getting to the wild and back (city living on a bus line, what can I say?).

The energy vampires I was attempting to remove seem to have released me at last. One even left the table in the middle of a birthday party, yesterday. Nothing was said. I’m feeling better, though recharging has been slow- slow enough to make sure I don’t get overwhelmed, though I do seem to snap at people once in a while.

10 Likes

I’d create one if I get fed up enough with my bf. But lately he has been pretty good as in the last few days. :joy:

7 Likes

@Sivonnah – I think that’s a great idea, especially with what you’ve got going on right now.

@georgia – you’re very welcome! I’m happy to hear that things are working out better for you, too. I know what you mean about the protections and stuff. It’s nice to experience the world without them sometimes, but only in the right situations :joy:

@Devenne – oh geez :sweat_smile: I hope you don’t need it, but I understand if you do!

8 Likes

So, a trigger spell can only be used once then, I assume? :thinking:

I think I will prepare this for upcoming events. Might help with dealing with people who drain my energy. :grin:

Thanks for sharing and your example. They really help. :black_heart:

8 Likes

No, I would say it could be used multiple times depending on the spell. So, if you create a protection spell like above, it could be used over and over again. It would be like any other spell in that sometimes it may need to be refreshed, but if the spell is tied to an energy engine (such as a sigil charged by the movement of a ceiling fan), so to speak, it wouldn’t need any upkeep!

You’re welcome! Examples really help me, too, so I’m glad they’re useful for you and others :heart:

9 Likes

(also, my app is super slow so pardon the late edit lol)

7 Likes

Oh, even better! :smile:

And my brain is super slow this morning. It’s the heat. :laughing:

8 Likes

Haha I think it has more to do with my internet and the storm that just blew over :rofl: but I’m glad I’m not alone!

8 Likes

Oh, heat. That’s something I miss right now. I’m not stocked with winter foods yet. Tell you what, I’ll send you a cooling breeze if you send me some warmth. Deal?:sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Deal! :black_heart: I’m sweating while sitting at my desk with the air conditioning on. :laughing:

7 Likes

My thermostat is set to 72°F. The heater is working fine. For some reason I’m so cold I have to wear a coat indoors! I’ve been like this since May 1998, but only during the winter. Some might consider it cozy, but I can’t get warm.

I’ve had all kinds of tests. Doctors have no explanation except that my normal body temperature is 97.1°F instead of 98.6°F. I have noticed that my body temp drops a whole degree, and my white blood cell count rises during the times I’m coldest, suggesting some sort of infection no one can find.

Since I’m allergic to antibiotics, medicines only cause pneumonia. Hot soups and drinks don’t affect the chill. If I pile on covers, I can’t feel any heat. I actually cool down hot water in a bath as though I radiate cold somehow. Worse, the only time I sweat is during the winter: my feet feel like Niagra Falls unless I use antiperspirant every day.

Just call me weird. Anyway, it’s a good reason to live in a desert! :blush:

7 Likes

Very cool idea, thank you for sharing. Bookmarking and printing this for my BoS for later use!

7 Likes

Oh… so much potential. I can see so many ways to use this. And with a potential means of recharging a spell, the use of crystals to add to it … my imagination is running wild :witch_cauldron: :heart_on_fire: :silver_heart: :gift_heart: :flamingo: :flamingo: :pray: :rofl:

:goat:

7 Likes

@Artemisia & @Shadeweaver – I’m glad to hear the post is helpful to you! :heart:

6 Likes

ohmigosh! this is so fantastic … i will definitely use the protection trigger when i’m investigating haunted locations and need a little extra oomph! i already ground myself and protect myself, but some of these locations i visit need a scad more sometimes. this is perfect. thank you so much for this lesson! blessed be, sis!

6 Likes