Wax Correspondences? 🕯 Let's Discuss! (and a poll!)

There are so many different types of waxes available for candles, and I had a thought earlier about their correspondences. Does it matter to your spell what the candle is made from? Is that adding too many layers and getting too picky about ingredients?

There is paraffin, soy, beeswax, gel wax, coconut wax, and I’m sure so many more. I don’t think I have ever put too much thought into what my candles are made from. I use standard paraffin wax tealights. I will use beeswax if I have it handy. I will buy soy wax when I can.

Different Types of Wax

Not everyone is familiar with the different types of wax, so I wanted to give a brief overview of the different waxes and where they come from. This information and the following picture comes from CozYours.com.

Paraffin Wax - Paraffin wax is the most common and known type of candle wax. :candle: It is the most readily available and one of the more cost-effective options when it comes to making candles. It comes from petroleum, refined crude oil, and is an odorless, pale white wax.

Beeswax - This type of wax comes from bees, of course! :honeybee: Beeswax is a natural byproduct of beehives and the work that bees do. It is sturdy with a fairly high melting point. It is naturally yellow with a slight honey scent.

Soy Wax - Soy wax is made from plants, specifically soybeans. It is a processed form of soybean oil. This makes it a natural alternative to paraffin wax, especially since the prices are about the same. Soy wax has a low melting point and can spoil without preservatives.

Gel Wax - This type of wax reminds me of those weird gel candles that were popular when I was a kid, and for good reason! :rose: Gel wax is not a natural wax - it isn’t even a wax at all, technically. It is made from mineral oil and poly resin. This means that it is also created from crude oil. It is transparent in nature with a low melting point.

Coconut Wax - Lastly, coconut :coconut: wax! Again, this wax is like soy wax in that it comes from plants. However, it comes from coconut oil rather than the soybean. If you have ever worked with coconut oil, you will know that it melts very easily! The same is true of its wax. It is often mixed with other waxes and may melt on its own in hot weather.

For me personally…

Like I said, I haven’t ever put much thought behind what my candles are made from in regard to spellwork. I am fairly certain that all the chime candles I have ever used are made from either paraffin because of the high melting point. Other waxes may be too soft to use, unless you are using beeswax.

I think if I had to put correspondences to the types of waxes, I would say this:

paraffin wax: foundations, stability, and transformation

beeswax: determination, hard work, and consistency

soy wax: transformation, earth energy, and compassion

gel wax: to see clearly, pliability, and truth

coconut wax: sweetness, delicate situations, and passion

In thinking about it, I would only be able to explain a few of these correspondences to anyone that asked. Some of them just feel like they belong, you know? I may have to put more thought behind the type of wax I work with now – well, when I have the option, of course! Only when I want it to matter.

:candle: :star2: :candle: :star2: :candle: :star2: :candle: :star2: :candle:

I wanted to put together this discussion because I can’t be the only person that has thought about these things!

So, what do you think? Does the type of wax in your candles make a difference in your magick?

:candle: :star2: :candle: :star2: :candle: :star2: :candle: :star2: :candle:

What type of wax do you use most?
  • Paraffin Wax
  • Soy Wax
  • Beeswax
  • Coconut Wax
  • Gel Wax
  • Something Else (comment below!)

0 voters

11 Likes

So I can only use Soy wax for my candles because I’m allergic to all the other ones except coconut I haven’t tried it yet but since I live in the south and it get so hot down here I’m afraid it would melt like you said.

10 Likes

Allergies would definitely play a large role in what you can use. I’ve never used coconut wax either, but yeah… I wouldn’t give it a try because I live in Florida :rofl: that wouldn’t go very well, I imagine!

10 Likes

I’m just slightly north of you In Alabama so we get it :joy:

10 Likes

Most of the candles I use the most are soy wax, I believe my chime candles are paraffin, but my pillars, votives, & jar candles are soy :smiling_face:

8 Likes

My all-time favorite wax is beeswax! :honeybee: I really like that it is all natural, and it burns so cleanly that some say it actually helps purify the air. It burns very hot and bright too- which is great for solar magick :sun_with_face:

Beeswax candles emit light that is similar to the light spectrum of sunlight. This is thanks to beeswax’s high melting point of approximately 149° Fahrenheit. Because beeswax has a higher melting point than other waxes, it emits the brightest, most warm-toned flame. Beeswax candles also last longer than most other candles. Because it is so dense (0.958), it burns slower and drips less, and many consider beeswax candles to be drip free.

From Beeswax Co

Downside is that you need to be very careful with it (because it burns so hot) and it’s also not ideal for those who want to read wax drippings for divination. It’s also the most expensive candle wax :sweat_smile:

Recently I’ve been lighting a beeswax tealight for meditation or while I read and using my chime (paraffin) candles for spellwork.

Awesome discussion! Wax types and correspondences are a great thing to think about for any candle-loving witch :candle::woman_mage: :two_hearts: Thank you, @MeganB!

10 Likes

@BryWisteria – I had no idea that beeswax candles emit a light that’s close to the sun’s light :sun: That’s so interesting! I’ll admit that I don’t burn enough beeswax candles because I don’t tend to buy them. :dollar: They are, as you’ve mentioned, fairly pricey!

9 Likes

Indeed! Hahaha it’s another reason I’d love to take up beekeeping- delicious homemade honey, a boost for the flowers in the garden, and free wax for candles! :honeybee: Maybe someday :blush::pray::sparkles:

8 Likes

That’s a lofty goal! :honeybee: Hopefully it happens for you someday!

6 Likes

Thank you! :heart::honeybee: :sparkles:

6 Likes

I’ve thought about what my candles are made of a lot!

I personally am trying not to buy candles that are paraffin because its a petroleum product. I believe the plant waxes and bees wax are much healthier to use.

My chime candles are paraffin and I bought the really cool 7 day candles from the dollar tree and they are ??? probably paraffin! But I intend on reusing the jars to make my own candles later.
I really like the beeswax that comes in a flat sheet and you roll 'em up. They are fun and so cute :candle:

I like the correspondences you chose @MeganB They make total sense to me :+1:

:butterfly:

8 Likes

Awesome - I’m glad they make sense to someone else! :candle: This was my first time really thinking about what my candles are made from. Paraffin is the most accessible for many people, but I think there’s a store near me that sells beeswax in sheets that we can warm up and roll… :thinking: That sounds like a great witchy craft to do with my kiddo!

10 Likes

Oh yes, Warm them up first! That’s a very important step or they will crack and I think it’s a very kid friendly craft too :wink:
You can add dry herbs :herb:to them and scented :nose: :rose: oils.

8 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking! She’s almost old enough where I can trust her to burn a candle in her room as long as I’m upstairs in the office. :candle: We may have to incorporate this into her day if she wants, but first we have to make them!

How do you warm them? In the oven?

7 Likes

I turn the oven on and lay a couple them on top of the stove by the oven vent for a minute. It doesn’t take much heat to warm them. Maybe after you turn the oven off and its cooled down then you could put them in there for a minute maybe.
You can kinda feel the change when they are warm enough. They get soft.

8 Likes

That’s good to know! :honeybee: I’ll keep that in mind whenever we decide to make these. Thank you!

7 Likes

Really interesting topic for discussion and thought! Love it!
I have to admit I don’t notice or pay attention to what type of wax I use, be it paraffin, soy, or beeswax. Some of my boxes don’t say but others are paraffin, so I’d assume the majority of what I have is made of that. :candle:

6 Likes

Paraffin does tend to be the most common. I’ve found that anything other than paraffin is usually labelled.

7 Likes

I splurged on a birthday present and got myself some beeswax votive candles! :candle: :honeybee:

They were pricey (significantly more than paraffin votives would be), but I feel better knowing that the candles I’m burning aren’t releasing toxins in the air- on the contrary, they are producing negative ions that supposedly cleanse the air! :grinning:

Hoping to channel some of this energy too:

Still haven’t found a good place to buy beeswax spell/chime candles, though :thinking: I bought some candlemaking supplies, so if I can get the right molds I might try to make some myself! :grinning: :candle:

8 Likes

Those are so beautiful! :black_heart:

What a lovely box of candles. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You’ve reminded me I have a whole bunch of soy and beeswax candles to make. How did I forget?? :joy:

7 Likes