šŸŽ² Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Divining Differently

@Amethyst Iā€™m so happy that you took out your runes & are now doing daily pulls! Thatā€™s how I use them, I do single pulls for the day. Iā€™ve never done more than 1 at a time.

@Sarafeena_Sageā€¦ the lists I have just keep getting longer for books, oracle, tarotā€¦ really that list goes on too! :laughing:

@Artemisia I love the grain also, so very pretty & intriguing! & I saw that about @Jeannie1 & it made me just as happy!

Everyone deserves to have a ā€œmeā€ day after all of this divining differently work :revolving_hearts: :infinite_roots:

10 Likes

@Sarafeena_Sage Hereā€™s a lookie loo at the Shapeshifters deck. No theyā€™re not holographic or nor does the picture change. But like all of the artwork by Jasmine Beckett-Griffith the cards are pretty awesome.

@Susurrus @Jeannie1 Now that I have discovered the awesomeness of oracle cards I am obsessively collecting. In have another 10 decks on the way lol. One deck I am really looking forward to arriving is the ā€˜Talking to Heavenā€™ mediumship cards. They are ones that I am really excited to have a go with. I have at least another 40 something on my wish list. My name is Jess and I have a problem. Oracle decks, pendulums and crystals oh my!

11 Likes

Are you on Kickstarter? They have oracle decks as they are being created & first issued. So if you back the project you can also get goodies with the decks of cards. I got my Radiant Crystal Oracle deck from backing a project on Kickstarter. They have other projects you can back too, but there are Oracle & Tarot decks on there @jessica72

8 Likes

I am happy to hear there is more of us collecting obsessivly the oracle card decks.
I have als lots of them :rofl:

8 Likes

Thatā€™s me with tarot cards, I havenā€™t moved up from single pulls yet. Someday Iā€™ll get there! LOL!

8 Likes

Absolutely, Melissa! :blush: When it comes to the Craft, it would be very hard to draw a line on what is ā€œconventionalā€ or ā€œunconventionalā€ across the board- everyoneā€™s practices are so wonderfully unique! If there is a method that is new or out of the norm to you, then that certainly counts towards the challenge.

Wishing you all the best with your runes! :heart:

9 Likes

Itā€™s time for a friendly reminder!

The creativity of the coven shines brightly once again- congrats to all those who have ventured off the set path and explored something new or unconventional in their divination practices this week! :sparkles:

If you havenā€™t already shared an entry but would like to join in, please know that you still have some time:

:exclamation: This challenge will close TOMORROW :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and havenā€™t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline: Tomorrow: August 23rd, 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)

Blessed be! :game_die: :sparkles:

9 Likes

Oh boyā€¦ every time I went to do anything related to the challenge over the weekendā€¦ something happened. The same thing with the group ritual. (Honestly, that cycle started on Thursday with my son, but anyway)ā€¦ I have every intention of actually accomplishing this challenge :rofl: Iā€™ve gotten as far as printing out the meanings for the stones & the printout mat :joy: Baby steps this week & this morning with these things :laughing:

7 Likes

My husband bought me a crystal ball in December (actually glass) and it is huge. Itā€™s the size of a bowling ball. I have never used it, mainly because it is so big and heavy itā€™s hard to move around. I keep a cloth over it because there was a warning on the box that said it could cause a fire if sunlight hits it. I would hate to come home from work to find that my crystal ball has burned my house down. Today I am going to start using my crystal ball. Iā€™m sure it will take practice, but Iā€™m going to keep it on my altar for a while because it is so hard to move.

8 Likes

Challenge Entry - Weekly Witchy Challenge: Divining Differently

Continuing the theme I have this month for exploring hoodoo, I have learned about all of the different divination techniques used within hoodoo. Going down a huge rabbit hole, I cannot possibly expound on them here however the 6 primary takeaways for me are:
1- Cartomancy - deck of cards
2- Conjuring - summoning spirits
3- Cleromancy - Sticks, bones, dominos, and shells primarily
4- Astrology + Numerology
5- Augury - Omens sometimes through birds
6 - Oneiromancy - dream interpretations and directed lucid dreaming

There are many more forms of divination than even these witching hoodoo, and they are all rich with nuances of the belief systems and rituals of hoodoo practitioners. One core theme within all forms of hoodoo divination is the incorporation of a staff or cane into each divining session. It is said that a staff enhances the wielderā€™s knowledge and efficiency/power. Diviners carry their staffs in public processions to signal the fact that they are preparing to make a divination, or to mark a significant occasion. The staff is one of a divinerā€™s most valued possessions. They place it in front of their house as both an emblem of their vocation and as a protected safeguard.

1- I have a walking stick that I was gifted by a practitioner many moons ago and have used this in this challenge as I divined. Over this past week, I tried out each of the 6 ā€˜coreā€™ described divination methods above. I have many Oracle decks but do not practice tarot because Iā€™ve always been uncomfortable with it (I know, right?!). So, I purchased a beginnerā€™s tarot deck with little helpers ON EACH CARD, and used the ever loving bejesus out of it in a week! I have to say I am more comfortable with this method in general and I canā€™t believe a challenge where I choose hoodoo got me here using tarot, but here I am!

2- There is a ritual using a conjuring cane that I performed without avail. I need to try it more, and there is about negative 30 pieces of literature or articles online about this method, so I was winging it to say the least, but I wanted to try it since I have such a kick ass walking stick. Cā€™est la vie!

3- Cleromancy - I decided to use a Witches Runes set I purchased off Etsy and separately a bunch of charms to Rune and Charm throw - I didnā€™t want to use bones. I am used to the charms but the Witches Runes are awesome and I will incorporate them for sure going forward.

4- Astrology + Numerology - I went a bit into this since it was my birthday this week doing the challenge and aligned with a full moon as well. This was pretty fun, and I love Marshaā€™s Astrology mini dive into each birthday, it was nice to read into the links further and meditate and consider all it has to say.

5- Augury - I have been learning this and by learning, I mean I have sat out back and looked at the types of birds and patterns of birds each evening at dusk (same time each evening). Not sure what I think yetā€¦. Still WIP. We have lots of birds here along with bats, so itā€™s very interesting to watch them and see their patterns. Iā€™m sure I will have some epiphany soon! :slight_smile:

6- Oneiromancy - I ordered a dream journal and will be keeping one by my bed going forward. Im so excited!!! I keep my dreams in my daily Muse Journals currently, but I do not typically use them as divination means, so this will begin that practice. Slow and steady. I have high hopes of lucid dreams in my future.

Fun challenge, thanks @BryWisteria and everyone for all of your ideas and creativity with this challenge, Iā€™ve enjoyed reading them all! Light and love - :candle::purple_heart:

10 Likes

So I have so much to learn about Tarot. Currently I am studying the major arcana. I got my first deck.

I am excited I took this first step and Iā€™m looking forward to continue studying and learning Tarot.

12 Likes

My favorite topic! Great to read so many interesting ways for divination. I have always wanted to learn how to read tea leaves and glad to know how to use regular playing cards, Had no idea there were so many forms of divination!

I have always used either the pendulum, the runes or tarot. Since taking the Biddy Tarot home study course (I recommend all three books), tarot is now my main form of divination. I also use tarot spells. But there are two new forms of divination in my life that I would like to share.

Sacredwicca.com has some fun new Sabbat Oracle cards that you can either print out yourself or have them printed at a business store (example, here in the U. S. , Staples is a great choice.) You have to scroll down for some of the Sabbats.

Recently, I learn how to use my body as a pendulum. It was working fairly well, but I learned a better technique when I recently took a past life regression class from my reiki teacher. The first thing she taught us was how to correctly locate our crown chakra. You actually put your thumbs in your ears and then reach your fingers over your head while keeping the thumbs in your ears. Where the fingers touch over your head is the correct location of your crown chakra.
So, before you start, you are supposed to check that your energy is flowing the right way. You hold your hand, palm down, over your crown chakra and if you can feel your energy, you are good to go. If you hold your hand over your crown chakra, palm up and feel your energy, then the time is not right and you could actually get wrong answsers.
Honestly, though I can readily sense reiki energy, this method does not work well for me. The next thing you do is relax your body and kind of bend your knees a bit as if you were snowboarding or skiing. Each time, you must ask your higher self if it is available to answer questions. So often, the answer was no for me until I realized that I was in the best frame of mind after my morning meditations and chores.
So, once you ask a question, your body will automatically move forward (yes) or backward (no). You donā€™t move your body yourself. And for each and every question, you ask your higher self.
We also learned how to use this method to find out how many lives we have lived on this planet. (You can also ask if you have incarnated elsewhere). So, for example, : Higher Selfā€¦have had more than 100 past lives on this planet? Say the answer is noā€¦Higher Self, have I lived more than 80 past lives on this planet? Yes. And then you can narrow it down.
So any yes and no questions can be asked with this method. Another way you can use it is when making purchases. Say you want to purchase a food item or a crystal or what have youā€¦you ask your Higher Self (in your mind if you are out in public)ā€¦Higher Self, is this purchase right for me (or in accordance with my higher good), ect.
So, itā€™s a fun form of divination and you are working closely with your higher self.
Valentina

10 Likes

Challenge Entry ā€“ Divining Differently

Lithomancy with Crystals

I first learned about Lithomancy from classes for crystal healing & I decided that it would really complement my current practice if I did it a bit different than using a casting board. Instead, I have 12 tumbles in a pouch. Much like the way I draw runes when I need to, itā€™s kind of the same process for the stones. Each stone is assigned a meaning (for right now I have them written down on a card, sometimes my memory is awful) & I will pull one each week to carry with my other stones.

In my pouch I have the following tumbles with assigned meanings:

• Gold Tigerā€™s Eye: Inner Work
  • Red Tigerā€™s Eye: Focus
  • Sodalite: Awareness
  • Smoky Quartz: Earthing
  • Tourmalated Quartz: Concentration
  • Green Aventurine: Growth
  • Red Jasper: Grounding
  • Hematite: Earth Spirits
  • Bloodstone: Strength
  • Citrine: Courage
  • Rose Quartz: Love
  • Black Tourmaline: Banishing

I had to go through all my tumbles & pick ones that align with things I am learning, working on, & implementing in my practice as it comes together. Then go through them again for ones that were similar in size to each other & not shaped or carvedā€¦ I have flip flops, turtles, eggs, camel, hearts, cubes, spheres, Metatron cubes, moons, coins, worry stonesā€¦ all kinds of shapes. The reason I am using tumbles is that maybe one day I will pull a few from the pouch & cast themā€¦ but I havenā€™t made it that far yet. Baby steps are my favorite thing :footprints:

Today must have been the day for me to work on some new divination because much to my delight, I wound up receiving 2 books (1 was Pagan Portals: Lithomancy Divination with Stones, Crystals, & Charms by Jessica Howard) that I had ordered (it was time for some actual books, I have read a plethora on the Kindle but miss actual books & bookmarks & turning the physical pages), my Wild Moon :full_moon: deck from Tamed Wild which has just about every possible phase of the moon, corresponding information, & ritual ideas, the Oracles of the Morrigan :raven: deck that I canā€™t wait to use & on the back of each card is an Ogham sigil! :tree_of_life: I got protection salts as a free gift & my new main altar cloth. :heart_eyes: Itā€™s been an exciting turn of events & the perfect day to work on my challenge entry!

11 Likes

Those are super nice, love that crystal stone lapis lazuli!

6 Likes

The tea bags is have, the tea grind is too fine, just donā€™t feel confident. But with more experience, Iā€™d be able to improvise!

8 Likes

HOLY ORACLE CARDS, Batman!!! Wowza, I am awestruck of your decks and variety! #goals!!! @jessica72

7 Likes

First Iā€™ve heard of such method and Iā€™m going to try it when autumn comes around, in another month! Thank you. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

CHALLENGE - Divining Differently

I chose to work with a pendulum. Originally I couldnā€™t decide between pendulum or tarot. I have been thinking about tarot a lot lately and a couple of days before this challenge came up I was digging out my cards. But I decided to do pendulum.

My hesitation was (and probably still is) the fact that I misplaced both of my boards I had recieved in a monthly witch box, plus one of the 2 pendulums I have. I also had a little mat board that I used once and canā€™t find that and I know I put that in a place I would know where it was at. But being one to not heed the signs (lol), I went with the pendulum anyway.

Ultimately I did basic, intial work. Learning about the different ways to use a pendulum - which I actually learned a lot as I didnā€™t think of all the ways. For example, sometimes people use them to make decisions on everyday things - should I have oatmeal for breakfast.

I also charged my pendulum and started to carry it around and work with it - finding out what yes/no/maybe looks like (without a board).

I then realized that working with a pendulum and working with a pendulum board are 2 different things - or at least I realized that the boards yes/no are different then asking the pendulum for a yes/no - as in circle for yes, left right swing for no. More research to be done on this.

Iā€™ve decided not to work with board for now (a paper one I quickly designed on canva) and just work with the pendulum by itself.

8 Likes

I like the idea of having a crystal with an intended purpose. Iā€™ll have to look into this at some point.

Funny I was things last week how much I miss magazines for the same reasons - mostly the touch factor.

The moon deck sounds interesting, I just recieved the moonology one. Iā€™ll have to look into the one you recieved. Thanks!

9 Likes

After I have cleansed them & such, I will pull one so you can get an idea of the cards setup. Iā€™m really looking forward to using them.

I modified the Lithomancy a little to get used to drawing a stone or casting them based on their intended meanings.

After the class & before this challenge I had ordered that book about casting stones, crystals, & charms. Iā€™m thinking of using my pouch of charms that I found to do something similar to An experiment with charm casting - Weekly Witchy Challenge Entryā€¦ the possibilities just kind of fell in my lap once I finished the classes.

However, for right now Iā€™m only going to work with the tumbles. :smiling_face:

9 Likes