šŸŒ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Liminal Magick

Good morning Martje,

I had to read it, read it and reread it again. I never heard of Luminal Spaces either but now I know the definition, everywhere I go I say to myself; oh this is an example of Luminal Spaces about five times a dayā€¦lol.

Have a great day!

9 Likes

Megan,
So I had a dream last night I was flying but cannot recall really much but that I was with my husband! My truth, I believe the more we work our unconscious mind the more powerful we are! I worked with plant spirit and called all the quarters last night to have an experience. I am surprised I asked my spirit guide to be with me and wore my ring for protection! I am glad I tried both these herbs together. It was an amazing experience!
Jeannie

9 Likes

@Phoenix_Rose , I had a Doberman once, when he was scolded, heā€™d push his head under the sofa and thought he was hiding. Miss that old boy

11 Likes

I just want to make a quick note about my favorite liminality, reading.

Iā€™m stuck here in my room but thanks to books and stories, I can go on an adventure with Harry Potter, help Spencer fight drug runners, or read about animal totems.

I am in between real life and fictional and its a good place to be.

10 Likes

@Amethyst that is a great place to beā€¦ that happens to meā€¦ I am likeā€¦ in the book. I get so into books :books: that people have to basically physically break my concentration or I donā€™t even see or hear them talking or acknowledge the TVā€¦ :thinking: okay so the severity (I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the right word) of this may be stemming from a totally different coping mechanism that I developed, but I agree itā€™s a great place to be & definitely a liminal space!

10 Likes

@MeganB & @marsha & the rest of Infinite Roots :infinite_roots: I figured I would share some imagery of my liminal walk because I have no new blooms today :cry: & I thought of your comment when I walked up to the ā€œright of wayā€ :hugs:ā€¦ & since I have been up since midnight, I was up to get across the street in time. :laughing:

Itā€™s not technically an association & definitely not a gated community, but they keep trying to get us to pay dues & such for things we donā€™t use, never had to pay for before, & itā€™s pretty empty or seasonal rentals for the most part from Labor Day to Memorial Day, so renters arenā€™t going to pay the dues neither are the actual owners who use their ā€œCapeā€ houses as vacation spots or seasonal & summer weekly rentals. The things they say we would have access toā€¦ we wouldnā€™t use & havenā€™t in 20 years :woman_shrugging: Why would I go to a public pool when I can walk to the beach or go out to one of 4 islands on a boat :rofl:

Where I live, I can walk across the main boulevard & we have right of ways along the channel & neighborhood between us & the island. Thereā€™s actually a small beach :beach_umbrella: & at low tide we can walk out to the island or when boat :motor_boat: traffic is light with high tide & favorable conditions we can swim :swimming_woman: across to it.

My neighborhood is a peninsula (We call them the fingers) because there is about 5 ā€œfingersā€ & there is a short one like a thumb :laughing: So I can also take a left out of my driveway & walk :walking_woman: to the other end of my street & there is another right of way about 2 houses from the corner of my street on this side which is West.

The view is just better across the boulevard in the morning :sunrise: because itā€™s East :joy:

12 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved to read, but what really got me hooked was using books to ignore bullies. They donā€™t know what to do when you honestly arenā€™t paying attention to them.

8 Likes

Hi. Can I come live with you?..lol. Breathtakingly beautiful it sounds and looks like a fairy tale getaway hideout.

Thank you for posting this. It shows Liminal Spaces positive side versus the pictures Iā€™ve seen of Luminal Spaces with its negative side, like abandoned hospitals, houses or amusement parks that look scary.

Have a great day,
Medea

9 Likes

Challenge Entry - Liminal Magick

I figured I should post this while I have the time instead of waiting until the last minute like I usually do! :laughing:

Liminal Spaces, Liminal Magick, and Liminality are concepts that are fairly new to me. Honestly, I hadnā€™t heard of it until a few months ago when I saw the first post about Liminal Spaces on this forum!

(Photo credit)

Itā€™s a concept that I find difficult to be comfortable with as a whole. The unknown and change always are challenging for me. Getting lost in researching the concept, reading articles (including this one that I found helpful), and viewing photos were more exhausting than I would have expected. So I had to break it down into smaller bites and do a little bit at a time. Once I had a better grasp on the general concept, I had to decide how to apply it to my magickal practice. I was beginning to think I was going to have to force an idea just to have an entry but the answer hit me.
cad99e79a83850fff2ab810bef0b39fc
(photo credit)

One of the things I enjoy doing, that brings me a sense of excitement and satisfaction, is creating something by hand. I love getting that creative spark when I find or get an idea for a project, the spark then leads me to research, plan, and prepare the items I need for the project. But there is a space, a space in between when the project is an idea and when the project starts that I believe is a liminal space.

Itā€™s a space of transitions from thought to action, from idea to reality, where things could go wrong or they could succeed. My current mild obsession of a project is creating Ogham staves from wood Iā€™ve ethically gathered locally. I have 22 different species of wood with another 2 sourced but not yet acquired, and one more to find.

The step from idea to gathering is always the easiest for me. The hardest is the first cut, stitch, line, bead, stroke, or letterā€¦ Itā€™s crossing into that liminal space that always gives me pause for fear of failing.

N8_IJf8l1GamIyic0DQ940kH4yFymuBb0hY4_FgxcrQ
(photo credit)

With the challenge in mind, I took my first steps creating 5 staves in test pieces of random fallen wood from my backyard.

With each whittle of the branch, I set my intention and imagined the desired outcome. With each line burned into the new canvas, I took my idea, my hope, and my excitement and made it real.

Iā€™ve still got a ways to go before Iā€™m finished with my first set but I have crossed that threshold from idea to start. And honestly, thatā€™s sometimes the biggest hurdle for me. Starting.

I enjoyed this challenge. It stretched my brain, sent me down a few hours of rabbit hole research, and gave me the last little push to begin putting ideas into action.

Of and as a semi-related aside? I am currently intrigued and maybe obsessed with Hecate. I think my next project is making Hecateā€™s ladder from beads and charms I already have or perhaps making a Strophalos of Hecate in silver clay as a charm! :waxing_crescent_moon: :full_moon: :waning_crescent_moon:

(photo credit)

(edited for typos and clarity)

11 Likes

@Amethyst Iā€™ve been a bookworm for most of my life. I read the Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew books :laughing: One summer I went through a few too many I guess :woman_shrugging: My mom would open the book & read a paragraph then ask me what happened after that part in the book. :rofl:

@Medea I donā€™t know about living here, but you could certainly visit! Just a general FYI my favorite time is September as it is cooling down at night & so comfortable to sleep in when I get the chance. (Last night I woke up at midnight & couldnā€™t go back to sleep) I hadnā€™t even taken a nap, I just had a lot on my mind I guess. Oh & the end of Spring tooā€¦ kind of the sister ends of the Wheel of the Year. :joy:

@Artemisia that is a fantastic entry for the challenge& I love all the information you presented also! Great job on this one!

10 Likes

iā€™m only just seeing this challenge, but iā€™m hoping to scrape something up in time! liminal spaces have always been very intriguing to me, so this will definitely help me dive deeper

8 Likes

@atlas (love the name by the way) the challemge wonā€™t close until Tuesday at 7 AM EST. So you still have a couple of days to work on it how you would like too. Theres no reason to rush to get it done at all!

8 Likes

This is a great post. I hadnā€™t thought of the in between project and start like that before. It resonated with me.
I too like to create and I am certainly going to look at the plan/ start phase differently. This brings a new level of living in the moment where each moment has value-even the ā€˜in betweenā€™ momentsā€¦.which was probably the point of this challenge. Lol. ( I laugh because sometimes things strike me that I think are brilliant only to learn that everyone else was already there and on to the next levelšŸ¤Ŗ)

For me it is the finishing that is hard. What if I put in all this work and it is a fail.

8 Likes

@Susurrus i too wake up in the middle of the night. I tend to then fall asleep just before the alarm clock. :upside_down_face: I would love my brain to shut up when I am trying to sleep.

I have tried a few things that help me that may help you if you havenā€™t tried them yet. I am having more sleeps through the night now. Yay!
-cbd oil - basically no thc.
-sleep stories on calm
-guided meditations
-sleep meditations
-watching a show/ movie you have seen before that makes you feel cozy but you know what is happening so you donā€™t stay awake to see the end ( I like the first two Harry Potter movies for that, or the cozy mysteries of Agatha Christie- Poirot or Miss Marple)

• having a good laugh session before bed- the show Mom on Netflix is hilarious, imo
    -magnesium- either spray or pill, or cal-mag (depends on your body)
    -I also got a mouth guard from my dentist-she is phenomenal- because she said I clench at night. This has been helpful and my jaw is more relaxed in the morning
    -making sure I get enough essential fatty acids to help with hormones and enough b vitamins for nerves

I donā€™t do all of these all the time (some I should be :wink:). These are just tools I have in my toolbox that I use. Some work better than others at different times. Hope this helps or you can ignore if you already have these tools or if you have some that I donā€™t have, please share. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Today i actually got to use my inner temple to do a spell cause i didnt have candles needed ie right colours so i did it in my inner temple. It was cool cause i had already started building it so being able to go in when needed to use it abd tools needed in there was coolšŸ˜

9 Likes

Maudoy7ā€¦ I am very new here but I am 100% positive that here at Spells 8, there is no such thing as the word ā€œfailā€. This is a Challenge for all of us to learn or update our knowledge. We can get different perspectives on a topic. Itā€™s also to have fun while you are learning.

I hope this has made you feel better so you can enjoy and relax while you are learning. If you have any questions, there is a place in the fourm you can go to and ask as well. This is my first Challenge and wow did I have a ton of questions!

Medea

9 Likes

Kassandraā€¦ I really like this; from start to finish! I was on my way to learn more about Dragons in the Magickal relm when I came across Spells 8 and I have not left ā€œhomeā€ since. I will be incorporating that topic again soon.

I really enjoyed reading your Liminal Spaces Challenge.

Medea

8 Likes

Yeah but are you listening to one book and reading another? Lol

7 Likes

Thank you! I have a litany of things I try before I just give up. I have insomnia connected to CPTSD & other effects from that too. When my mind races or the energy is chaotic because I am unable to process the strongest emotion, I will only sleep 1 - 2 hours at a time.

I have found that if I ā€œgive upā€ make a cup of Sleepy Tea then drink it while free writing or venting my thoughts in my journalā€¦ as I do that I start to doze off. (This particular tea has 1 mg of Melatonin in it.) Itā€™s chamomile, vanilla, & honey :honey_pot: :yum:

I also use a 15 lb weighted blanket if I donā€™t feel secure or I start ā€œfloatingā€ away. I use a meditation :woman_in_lotus_position: & breathing with a Mantra too.
Sometimes I just have to get up & either do a meditation, read a book :open_book, listen to a type of soundscape whether itā€™s the ocean, rain, stormā€¦ really anything to do with water or nature sounds & I can drift back off.

Last night, I purposely didnt take a nap all day & went to bed around the same or normal time & I woke up once to use the facilitiesā€¦ then curled right back up in my thick soft blanket & slept the rest of the night.

Stress, anxiety, panic & associated strong emotions will keep my brain going & send chaotic energy through my body that keeps me up until I can release or let go of it. Weā€™ve had a couple of difficult days at home this weekend.

I will definitely add some of those to my insomnia toolbox though! :toolbox: Thank you :blush:

8 Likes

I forgot about the tea and weighted blanket! I do those too, oh and a hot pack for my feet. :slight_smile:

I used to go to the united church pre Covid and there were some people there who gave energy healings. I went to them for a few years. They would always say I gave off very chaotic energy, an energy healer also told that to my mom when I was little. Anyway, the energy healers would do a lot of mind balancing and grounding when they worked with me. I found that super helpful also. I think them doing that for years was super helpful and it was free which helped too.

Sorry to hear about the CPTSD.

When I was dealing with my year+ of agoraphobia and panic attacks I also used EJ Bourneā€™s anxiety and phobia workbook.

I am sorry to hear it has been a rough couple of days :heart:

I hope the rest of your weekend goes better!!!

Blessed be

8 Likes