šŸŒ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Liminal Magick

Donā€™t mind meā€¦ Iā€™m just going through everyoneā€™s replies and reading your posts!

This is interesting to think aboutā€¦ :thinking: I mean, in theory itā€™s the same ship just upgraded? And then the parts that were broken were repurposed and recycled into something new. Iā€™d argue that the two ships are different! The original is still the original while the recycled one is a brand new ship thatā€™s worthy of a new name. :ship:

Nope, youā€™re not! Iā€™d say youā€™re right on track. Liminal spaces are places that exist in the in-between. Like you said walking along a beach ā€“ thatā€™s an in-between space where land, sea, and sky all meet. :open_book: I have that book by Laura Tempest Zakroff but I havenā€™t read it yet. And I think your idea of the inner temple :hindu_temple: fits perfectly in this challenge!

That sounds spooky and magical! I canā€™t wait to see what you do :partying_face:

Me too! :revolving_hearts:

I love this definition for liminality :sparkles: and I love how you connected liminality back to the human experience. I was thinking about that yesterday, honestly. :revolving_hearts: As humans and growing people, we can be in a constant state of liminality ā€“ always between transitions, ages, and stages in life. I donā€™t think itā€™s quite as mysterious as other forms of liminality :fog: but itā€™s definitely hidden in some mystery!

I would definitely agree with you! :new_moon: Sharing about your ritual definitely counts as an entry. The challenges are meant to be personal and adaptable to the person participating. :sparkles: If thatā€™s how you choose to participate then it totally counts!

I think this is a great idea! :fairy: In the Victorian era it was often said that our realm is hidden from the Otherworld by a mist, a veil of sorts, which is where we get the phrase ā€œthe veil is thinā€ during Samhain and Bealtaine. Those are times when, historically, the Other Crowd was said to pass easily between their world and ours. It might be worth exploring! :sparkles:

I canā€™t wait to see what you share!

Oh this book looks interesting. Thank you for sharing it!

Hmmm :thinking: The title of this book sounds familiar. I may have to look at itā€¦or Iā€™ve seen it before and just donā€™t remember? Iā€™m reading a book right now on spirit flight by Roger J. Horne calledā€¦well crap, I canā€™t remember what itā€™s called right now. When I do remember, Iā€™ll let you know!

It can be difficult, thatā€™s for sure, but donā€™t let liminality put you in a box! :package: Even performing a ritual at dusk or dawn for divination or something can be liminal magick.

Welcome to the forum, Kelly! :heart:

Ohh, I never thought of this. Youā€™re right! Thereā€™s got to be space between the molecules, protons, and electrons. Thatā€™s a space between things :thinking: Schroedingerā€™s cat is a good one, too!

I remember reading this book as well! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I honestly donā€™t think I ever finished it. I believe I read it when I was about 12 but it was too big and I was dealing with some health things. Thereā€™s a movie, though, and it might be in more than one part? I canā€™t remember. :movie_camera: I agree with you though that sometimes liminality is something that is felt rather than seen. It has to be experienced and itā€™s one that is difficult to explain to others.

Hey! Donā€™t let yourself get boxed in :package: with this challenge. There are hundreds of thousands of ways that we can be liminal in our daily lives. Drive to work? The space between your home and your work is liminal ā€“ an in-between. Hold a coffee (or tea!) ritual at dawn when the first rays of the sun peak over the horizon but the darkness is still settled in the sky. :sunrise_over_mountains:

Yesss! Thatā€™s one of my favorite liminal spaces! :ocean: I like that you connected our peripheral vision to liminal spacesā€¦ :thinking: thatā€™s not one I ever thought about but youā€™re right!

This reminds me of something called backrooms, a CGI thing that people are doing all over YouTube. It definitely gives me liminal space vibes!

This is an interesting concept to me as someone that has lived in multiple places that either do or donā€™t follow the typical seasonal cycles. Youā€™re right, though, and Iā€™m seeing the differences right now as I type this. Hurricane :cyclone: season started in June just as it always does, but this year has been quiet. Right now, a storm is storming (haha does that make sense?) outside my house.

September begins tomorrow and we near the middle of hurricane season and, more importantly, the most active time. Then the end of hurricane season tends to ramp up before it cools down completely. Thereā€™s a liminal space between each of these times, for sure, and itā€™s hard to describe to people that donā€™t know anything about it.

You speak to my soul with this sentence right here ā€“ the liminality in the transitions between day and night are just :pinched_fingers: perfection. And your message about connecting to the message of liminality throughout August rings true for me, too. I remember finding it funny that liminality was popping up everywhere!

I absolutely believe so! Itā€™s a time when youā€™re between waking and unconscious, so it totally counts for me :clap: I canā€™t wait to hear what you experience with your mugwort meditation :heart:

10 Likes

I am not sure if this will count as a challenge entry but here goes.

Lately my focus has been on creating more protection around me.

A friend of mine is an empath and works regularly with spirit.

My friend called me the other day and told me she had received a message for me that she has sat with for a week to make sure she should tell me. She told me that she received a message that I would be meeting a man at my work who has addiction issues that I would be safe the first time I met him but the second time I would not. She said that I would either see him loitering outside or it would be a meeting I would have with him.

I do work alone in an office space.

Yesterday I took out my 365 spell a day book and brought my Tarot books. I cast a spell for protection. I chanted the spell three times. Part of this spell is the use of salt. There are really no other businesses on my floor so I opened the door to my office space and I stood in the doorway and I sprinkled the salt with the intention of protective energy in the doorway. As a doorway is a liminal space I thought that maybe that would be a possible challenge entry.

Another thing that I do is that sunset and sunrise when Iā€™m awake for it, I stand outside and take three deep breaths and I imagine myself pausing and taking a breath with the earth. I have always felt that the time between the day and night is a pause. The animals are either going to bed or just waking up thereā€™s no sound no movement itā€™s just a pause as a life either begins to shine or fade. It is like the pause before your breathing or before you breathe out. I like to sit in that moment and just be.

The posts on here have been fantastic and deep and have given me lots to think about. However, I am quite nervous about astral travel so I am not ready. I have more work to do first before I am ready.

Have a great day everyone!

9 Likes

This is a really nice article! It is the first time I heard about liminal spaces and help a lot to understand the basics :heart:

9 Likes

I saw my dog by the door half under the curtains and I thought that may be a cute liminal space picture to share.

10 Likes

Youā€™re absolutely right, a doorway is a liminal space and I think this counts as a great challenge entry! Youā€™ve also got it covered with the sunset and sunrise talk, too :heart: I hope that your protection spell holds strong against the person your friend saw as a threat :people_hugging: :sparkles:

Also, that picture of your dog is so cute!!

9 Likes

I could be wrong but I believe it was a running theme for you, @marsha, & myself throughout not just August but I would argue the summer itself :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Whatever is happening in the in-betweens just needs to hurry up and make itself known :laughing:

8 Likes

Drem, yol, lok! Greetings! It feels like itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve posted (though itā€™s only been four days)!

I went to my special place in the woods, not too far off the road, when the sun was behind the trees, but still bright enough to see. Someone tore apart some napkins and scattered them around the fallen oak tree Iā€™ve been using as an outdoor altar. ā€œ Okay! Who littered around my sacred space?!ā€ I thought. ā€œAnd why napkins?!ā€ But I think napkins are biodegradable. These were made of paper and paper is made of plant materials.

Liminal Draconic Spell For Letting Go

You will need:

• A feather (taken without causing any harm to the bird)
  • Marker
  1. Write the name of the person that you want to let go of on the quill on the feather.

2. At twilight, take the feather to the edge of the woods (liminal time and liminal space).

3. Cup the feather in your hands and say:

Sairys, DovahseVen, zuā€™u naurim Foraaniil fah Stavi!
Lig frey zuā€™u wah gestin Jor, ok Foraan zuā€™u pelaan nau daar Uft (Sairys, Dragon of the Wind, I invoke your name for my ritual! Please help me to free the person whose name I have written on this feather)

1. Raise your hands and visualize the person that you want to let go of and say:

Hi paaz, nuz hi ahk bein (You are fair, but you are foul)
Hi bein, nuz hi ahk paaz (You are foul, but you are fair)
Daar fahvos zuā€™u kent vos hi bo (which is why I must let you go)

Note: The fair and foul part was inspired by a quote from The Three Witches of Macbeth

1. Blow the feather, sending it into the air and say:

Bo, bo, bo hond, gut hond nol zuā€™u (Fly, fly, fly away, far away from me)
*Horit zeim Suvulaan do Su, zeim vul feykro (Hover through the twilight air, through the dark forest), (Another quote inspired by the Three Witches of Macbeth)

Neh daal fah zuā€™u (Never return to me)
Neh einzuk (Never again)
Neh daal einzuk (Never return again)

1. Say the last three phrases as much as you need to.
10 Likes

Good morning Martje,

I had to read it, read it and reread it again. I never heard of Luminal Spaces either but now I know the definition, everywhere I go I say to myself; oh this is an example of Luminal Spaces about five times a dayā€¦lol.

Have a great day!

9 Likes

Megan,
So I had a dream last night I was flying but cannot recall really much but that I was with my husband! My truth, I believe the more we work our unconscious mind the more powerful we are! I worked with plant spirit and called all the quarters last night to have an experience. I am surprised I asked my spirit guide to be with me and wore my ring for protection! I am glad I tried both these herbs together. It was an amazing experience!
Jeannie

9 Likes

@Phoenix_Rose , I had a Doberman once, when he was scolded, heā€™d push his head under the sofa and thought he was hiding. Miss that old boy

11 Likes

I just want to make a quick note about my favorite liminality, reading.

Iā€™m stuck here in my room but thanks to books and stories, I can go on an adventure with Harry Potter, help Spencer fight drug runners, or read about animal totems.

I am in between real life and fictional and its a good place to be.

10 Likes

@Amethyst that is a great place to beā€¦ that happens to meā€¦ I am likeā€¦ in the book. I get so into books :books: that people have to basically physically break my concentration or I donā€™t even see or hear them talking or acknowledge the TVā€¦ :thinking: okay so the severity (I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the right word) of this may be stemming from a totally different coping mechanism that I developed, but I agree itā€™s a great place to be & definitely a liminal space!

10 Likes

@MeganB & @marsha & the rest of Infinite Roots :infinite_roots: I figured I would share some imagery of my liminal walk because I have no new blooms today :cry: & I thought of your comment when I walked up to the ā€œright of wayā€ :hugs:ā€¦ & since I have been up since midnight, I was up to get across the street in time. :laughing:

Itā€™s not technically an association & definitely not a gated community, but they keep trying to get us to pay dues & such for things we donā€™t use, never had to pay for before, & itā€™s pretty empty or seasonal rentals for the most part from Labor Day to Memorial Day, so renters arenā€™t going to pay the dues neither are the actual owners who use their ā€œCapeā€ houses as vacation spots or seasonal & summer weekly rentals. The things they say we would have access toā€¦ we wouldnā€™t use & havenā€™t in 20 years :woman_shrugging: Why would I go to a public pool when I can walk to the beach or go out to one of 4 islands on a boat :rofl:

Where I live, I can walk across the main boulevard & we have right of ways along the channel & neighborhood between us & the island. Thereā€™s actually a small beach :beach_umbrella: & at low tide we can walk out to the island or when boat :motor_boat: traffic is light with high tide & favorable conditions we can swim :swimming_woman: across to it.

My neighborhood is a peninsula (We call them the fingers) because there is about 5 ā€œfingersā€ & there is a short one like a thumb :laughing: So I can also take a left out of my driveway & walk :walking_woman: to the other end of my street & there is another right of way about 2 houses from the corner of my street on this side which is West.

The view is just better across the boulevard in the morning :sunrise: because itā€™s East :joy:

12 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved to read, but what really got me hooked was using books to ignore bullies. They donā€™t know what to do when you honestly arenā€™t paying attention to them.

8 Likes

Hi. Can I come live with you?..lol. Breathtakingly beautiful it sounds and looks like a fairy tale getaway hideout.

Thank you for posting this. It shows Liminal Spaces positive side versus the pictures Iā€™ve seen of Luminal Spaces with its negative side, like abandoned hospitals, houses or amusement parks that look scary.

Have a great day,
Medea

9 Likes

Challenge Entry - Liminal Magick

I figured I should post this while I have the time instead of waiting until the last minute like I usually do! :laughing:

Liminal Spaces, Liminal Magick, and Liminality are concepts that are fairly new to me. Honestly, I hadnā€™t heard of it until a few months ago when I saw the first post about Liminal Spaces on this forum!

(Photo credit)

Itā€™s a concept that I find difficult to be comfortable with as a whole. The unknown and change always are challenging for me. Getting lost in researching the concept, reading articles (including this one that I found helpful), and viewing photos were more exhausting than I would have expected. So I had to break it down into smaller bites and do a little bit at a time. Once I had a better grasp on the general concept, I had to decide how to apply it to my magickal practice. I was beginning to think I was going to have to force an idea just to have an entry but the answer hit me.
cad99e79a83850fff2ab810bef0b39fc
(photo credit)

One of the things I enjoy doing, that brings me a sense of excitement and satisfaction, is creating something by hand. I love getting that creative spark when I find or get an idea for a project, the spark then leads me to research, plan, and prepare the items I need for the project. But there is a space, a space in between when the project is an idea and when the project starts that I believe is a liminal space.

Itā€™s a space of transitions from thought to action, from idea to reality, where things could go wrong or they could succeed. My current mild obsession of a project is creating Ogham staves from wood Iā€™ve ethically gathered locally. I have 22 different species of wood with another 2 sourced but not yet acquired, and one more to find.

The step from idea to gathering is always the easiest for me. The hardest is the first cut, stitch, line, bead, stroke, or letterā€¦ Itā€™s crossing into that liminal space that always gives me pause for fear of failing.

N8_IJf8l1GamIyic0DQ940kH4yFymuBb0hY4_FgxcrQ
(photo credit)

With the challenge in mind, I took my first steps creating 5 staves in test pieces of random fallen wood from my backyard.

With each whittle of the branch, I set my intention and imagined the desired outcome. With each line burned into the new canvas, I took my idea, my hope, and my excitement and made it real.

Iā€™ve still got a ways to go before Iā€™m finished with my first set but I have crossed that threshold from idea to start. And honestly, thatā€™s sometimes the biggest hurdle for me. Starting.

I enjoyed this challenge. It stretched my brain, sent me down a few hours of rabbit hole research, and gave me the last little push to begin putting ideas into action.

Of and as a semi-related aside? I am currently intrigued and maybe obsessed with Hecate. I think my next project is making Hecateā€™s ladder from beads and charms I already have or perhaps making a Strophalos of Hecate in silver clay as a charm! :waxing_crescent_moon: :full_moon: :waning_crescent_moon:

(photo credit)

(edited for typos and clarity)

11 Likes

@Amethyst Iā€™ve been a bookworm for most of my life. I read the Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew books :laughing: One summer I went through a few too many I guess :woman_shrugging: My mom would open the book & read a paragraph then ask me what happened after that part in the book. :rofl:

@Medea I donā€™t know about living here, but you could certainly visit! Just a general FYI my favorite time is September as it is cooling down at night & so comfortable to sleep in when I get the chance. (Last night I woke up at midnight & couldnā€™t go back to sleep) I hadnā€™t even taken a nap, I just had a lot on my mind I guess. Oh & the end of Spring tooā€¦ kind of the sister ends of the Wheel of the Year. :joy:

@Artemisia that is a fantastic entry for the challenge& I love all the information you presented also! Great job on this one!

10 Likes

iā€™m only just seeing this challenge, but iā€™m hoping to scrape something up in time! liminal spaces have always been very intriguing to me, so this will definitely help me dive deeper

8 Likes

@atlas (love the name by the way) the challemge wonā€™t close until Tuesday at 7 AM EST. So you still have a couple of days to work on it how you would like too. Theres no reason to rush to get it done at all!

8 Likes