🌐 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Liminal Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Diving Differently :game_die:

After peering into the unknown, it’s time to take a step forward and head there ourselves- or, at least, to the place between “here” and “there”, the middle of the “present” and the “beyond” :globe_with_meridians:

This week’s challenge was inspired by the wonderful @MeganB and is

Spells8 CHALLENGE Liminal Spaces Magick In Between Challenge

:globe_with_meridians: :hourglass: Liminal Spaces - The Magick of Liminality :cyclone: :twisted_rightwards_arrows:

Paradoxes and boundlessness- liminal magick deals with all that is in between

Think of paradoxes (things that cannot exist at the same time and yet do) and all that falls on the spectrum between two extremes. Liminal Magick deals with that which exists in between- it has a nature of ambiguity and timelessness that can make your head spin in ways that can be either delightful or disorienting.

You may have heard of liminality as the term “liminal spaces”- places that are physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual in nature that can be visited and experienced.

In some senses, Liminal Magick is similar to Chaos Magick as it is free from rules and boundaries. It can be difficult to define, yet leaves with you a sure sense of something otherworldly.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s theme challenges you to explore liminality in your magick - but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

sacredness liminal spaces
From Thrive: Sacredness of Liminal Spaces

STEP 1 : In-Between Magick :twisted_rightwards_arrows:

This challenge is all about exploring liminal spaces or other forms of “in-between” magick- there are certainly many ways to jump in!

Still not sure where to begin?

To help you get started, the following list has a few suggestions in which a witch might approach this challenge! :sparkles:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

:open_book: Learn about Liminality

If you’re struggling to wrap your head around liminality, then you’re probably going in the right direction! It can be a difficult concept to define.

To help you get a better sense of what liminality feels like, you can read these excellent posts about liminality in magick:

:vertical_traffic_light: Visit a Liminal Space

If you look closely, you’ll find liminal spaces all around you. Here are a few you might encounter in your day-to-day life:

• Waiting at the intersection
  • Standing in the elevator
  • Sitting at the bus stop
  • Visiting the airport
  • Etc.

With a bit of mindfulness, you may find liminal “in-between” places around you that you weren’t aware of before.

:sparkles: The Possibilities of Liminal Spaces

If you’re new to liminality, you might take some time this week to simply be aware of and experience the strange dissonance these places offer. But once you’ve become aware of liminal spaces and experiences, why not draw on those energies in your magick? :mage:

Spellwork or rituals done in a liminal space or while experiencing a liminal mindset take on the qualities of the in-between. Feel free to experiment with liminality in your casting this week! :sparkles:

:place_of_worship: Liminal Deities

While some deities have specific ties to liminal spaces and realms in-between, some might argue that all deities able to cross realms and connect with believers around the world are entities of a liminal nature.

This week, feel free to seek out a liminal deity or perhaps explore the liminal and realm-crossing bonds of your own connections with dieities.

Hekate - Goddess of the Crossroads
Hecate-Goddess-of-Magic-360x240

Hades - God of the Underworld
Hymn-to-Hades-Prayer-Devotional-360x240

The Triple Goddess - Mother, Maiden, and Crone
Wicca-Goddess-Symbol-360x240

:dove: Exploring Worlds In-Between

There are plenty of liminal spaces to visit here in the psychical world, but for those more advanced in their liminal studies, perhaps give exploring realms beyond (or within) a try for this challenge!

Astral Travel and Astral Projection
Astral-Travel-projection-360x240

Lucid Dreaming
lucid dreaming

And More!

As always, you are free to draw on your creativity and pursue the theme of liminal magick in ways that suit your unique magickal practice :blush:

Art by Brad Blackman: Finding Magic in Liminal Spaces

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Please click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

For your entry to be counted towards the challenge, please share:

1. What you did to explore liminal magick this week

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Instead of posting your entry here in the comments below, you can also create a new thread in the forum if you prefer to keep it separate. Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 13 DAYS :exclamation:

This is an extended challenge! You have extra time to explore the theme this week, so please feel free to share multiple entries or do a multi-step approach to this challenge. Have fun!

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, September 6 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( 2022-09-06T05:00:00Z )

(Note that the time zone is CET- you can use this time zone calculator to switch into your time zone!)

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

From Wikipedia: Liminal Deities

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

You’re there but you’re not, you’re in-between
Where you go from here remains to be seen.
But forward or back, you have the key-
And with your power you are always free.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed be! :globe_with_meridians: :sparkles:

30 Likes

This week’s challenge is an extended challenge! (This is because I will be in a liminal space of my own all next week haha :ship:) . With the extra time, please feel free to explore the theme in multiple steps of ways if you feel called to do so!

Additionally, I just want to drop in my favorite Paradox as I think it fits in well with Liminality (and is about ships lol)

Liminality and liminal spaces are some of my favorite topics- I cannot wait to see how everyone approaches and explores the theme this week!

Blessed be! :sparkles:

24 Likes

Lol i just posted about inner temples and i had been thinking about liminal spaces but not using the term but the idea as i felt that my inner temple might have something like this even just in the idea of travelling in
 I wasn’t sure so i went looking to make sure tgat at least i hope i was on the right track. I believe id come accross liminal spaces in my looking at hedge riding and i knew that Rhiannon was related to liminal spaces. I thinknid come accross a beach being a liminal space and the intersection of certain types of trees i tgink in refernce to working with fairy folk. Maybe in exploreing Nemetona. And i looked up the term liminals spaces and magic to see ideas to just make sure i was on right track ( i hope) for the challenge and i found this book that going to read ( or listen to if can find audio book). Maybe look at deities in my own clan that are connected to liminal spaces such as Rhiannon and i think ?? Nematona ( i hope not mixing my reading up lol) and maybe this challenge can also help in building and exploring inner temple because if im understanding liminal spaces and using the energy from these plaxes in magic, my ideas for inner temple will i tgink have these n i can use these spaces in my magic n this chalkenge. Its exciting . 
 now i just got to hope that im not completely off track and confused about the challenge. I wonder if entering the inner temple is a form of entering liminal space?? Its just a thought i had, but then maybe im just all excited about building the inner temple and ideas n questions ect i have that im hoping im on right track n can apply challenge to a sort of challenge ive kinda given myself in a way. Thats possible, i could be reaching on that last idea. I could be wrong about all of it, im not sure, but this is the book going to look at.

18 Likes

Booya ! I just found it is audio book, one id saved already lol . Also found a couple other audio books just by searching liminal

17 Likes

The term liminal space reminds me of the Twilight Realm form The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
That realm exists between the Light World (Hyrule) and The Dark World (The Sacred Realm after it was corrupted from Ganondorf/Ganon’s wish). At twilight, sunrise or sunset, technically the world becomes a liminal space. The woods could also be another liminal space, existing between towns and cities. Dragons can move between all spaces. Not quite sure what I’ll do for this challenge yet, but I do know it’ll be in the woods at twilight.

18 Likes

I am so excited for this one! And I’m also glad that we have two weeks to do it :laughing: because I have an idea for what I want to do but it’s going to take time.

18 Likes

I feel the same way, I love liminal spaces at times it’s the only place where I can find order in the chaos believe it or not!

I’m going to see what I can find for the one that is actually a part of my day just about every day! :sparkles:

16 Likes

Woo! Thanks for the extra days, I’ve got a feeling I’m going to need them.

14 Likes

You & me both! :laughing:

13 Likes

Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Liminal Magick

Challenge entry - Garnet 08/24/2021

What is liminality? That which is so dense and secretive as to be totally indecipherable or impossible to foretell.

In 1939, Winston Churchill tried to describe the intentions and interests of Russia. His conclusion became one of his most famous quotes:

I *cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.”

So too, I fear is the abstract concept of Liminality.

A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma - Idioms by The Free Dictionary.

** It’s like twilight, that period of time that is evening but not yet night.*

** It’s that something that you see out of the corner of your eye but can’t quite make it out.*

** It’s the dream that feels so real that you almost can’t tell if it’s true or an illusion.*

• It makes one question, is the Shadow book a form of subliminal exercise?

• The Helen Keller Story is filled with liminality.

A babe is born healthy and afflicted with illness,? scarlet fever, leaving her blind and deaf. By the time her teacher & mentor (Ann Sullivan) comes into her life, she’s a wild, willful child of 6.
With unbelievable patience and determination, Ann taught her to talk using, 1st with ASL and then with oral words. Miss Keller became world famous and worked tirelessly on behalf of the American Foundation for the Blind. She also became instrumental in removing the treatment of the deaf and blind from asylums.
How many times did you count the liminal changes from a normal baby? To becoming Blind and deaf, to be taught, essentially to be human again and in a long and wonderous life, become a hero to millions.

*The Astral Plane is very liminal. It is real, but you cannot access it with your senses.
It takes much meditation, concentration, and effort, but it can be reached. I’ve found that that particular plane is different for each individual.

The Human mind is the most powerful and magnificent muscle in our bodies.
Your mind believes what you contrive for it.
As for Liminal Magick, Helen Keller’s entire life was magick, itself.
Confusing? Absolutely.
Fascinating? Completely.
Totally explained? Not by half.

Blessings and love
Garnetstrong text

20 Likes

I can’t say enough about this entry! It also brought back great memories of learning the story & seeing the movie & reading the books that had to do with Helen Keller. Helen Keller always fascinated me & Sybil, the book was really good & then I saw the movie. They were very eye opening for me.

I love the aspects you brought up & a couple I hadn’t thought of that way or questions I never knew I had & now need to go down some rabbit holes!

Thank you for your incredible entry!

17 Likes

@BryWisteria

I am very much looking forward to this Challenge - Liminal Magick!
Wishing you a wonderful 2 weeks of well earned Liminal Space!

It’s really nice I’ll have an extra week to work on this!!! :thinking: Hmmm. . . what are the chances I will still wait until the last minute to post my entry? :rofl:

I love your entry @Garnet :heart:

16 Likes

Oh gosh I love liminal space!! Even time can be liminal
 the space between the sunrise and darkness, the crossover into midnight :crescent_moon: or just before the last rays of sun in the evening
 so magical. My daughter and I call it the ‘between time’. I’d say that the dark moon is liminal as well!

It’s supposedly great for fairies too! :woman_fairy:

Ironically she and I did our first big ritual outside last night just after midnight (I chose that time for the liminal experience) and it was powerful. I was going to share about it, not in super detail because it was deeply personal but I don’t know if that counts since we did it before the challenge was posted??

14 Likes

O M Goodness! I literally just yesterday placed an order for this book!!!

61HFt0LUrEL.AC_SY1000
Image Source:

Image Source: Pinterest

Hmmm this pin kind of got me thinking. I picked up and put back down my Faery Magick book from the witchy library this morning when I was looking for some inspiration for this challenge. Me thinks that I need to reassess and have a proper look at this book.

One of my favorite oracle card decks that I am working with is ‘Oracle of the Dragonfae’ by Lucy Cavendish and I have hopefully arriving this week ‘Wild Wisdom of the Faery’ by Lucy Cavendish.

Maybe I should use liminal practices to explore the world of the Fae just a little more for this challenge. :thinking: :fairy:

18 Likes

This isn’t my challnege entry but it reminded me of this AA Milne poem I used to read to my son Halfway down the stairs
is a stair
where I sit.
there isn’t any
other stair
quite like
it.
I’m not at the bottom,
I’m not at the top;
so this is the stair
where
I always
stop.

Halfway up the stairs
Isn’t up
And it isn’t down.
It isn’t in the nursery,
It isn’t in town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head.
It isn’t really
Anywhere!
It’s somewhere else
Instead!

17 Likes

Liminal spaces like a cave called Chthonia to reach Hecate The Goddess of Witches she can be in liminal spaces when we meditate :woman_in_lotus_position: I can go to another place like the ancients did they would go to a dark cave in liminal spaces. I use my creativity in my minds eye :eye: and go
Hers some information
Hecate chnthonia
Jeannie

16 Likes

@Phoenix_Fire I saw your awesome post about your inner temple- I completely agree that the realm we built there, the sacred space of an inner temple that changes and adapts to our needs is a great topic to focus on for liminal magick! :sparkles::grinning: The Weave the Liminal Book looks awesome, and it seems like a book that is popular amongst the coven! I hope you enjoy it and the other audio books too- happy liminal exploring! :blush:

@Kasandra I remember that game! I’m pretty sure I got stuck in the temple in the sky (all I remember is clouds and creepy spiders :spider: :laughing:) which is shame because it was a really beautiful game. I hadn’t thought of its ties to liminality, but you’re absolutely right! Wishing you all the best with your liminal exploration- good luck! :sparkles:

@MeganB I know you are a big liminal enthusiast, Megan- I cannot wait to see what you’ll do for this theme! Have fun! :blush:

@Susurrus There is something very mindful and meditative about liminal spaces- they can be a great way to escape from chaos, which is curious because, in some senses, the rulelessness of liminality kind of mirrors chaos magick! Wishing you all the best- have fun with it! :heart:

@Amethyst It is that kind of topic haha- you’re very creative, Amethyst, I’m sure you’ll find a clever way to jump into liminality this week! Good luck and I hope you enjoy it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Garnet Beautifully written, Garnet- there was so much of this I wanted to quote, so just consider me quoting the whole thing! I love how you weave history with your deep thoughts and personal experiences- you always take the theme, explore it, and present it in such thought-provoking and enlightening way :sun_with_face: Great work here, Garnet- thank you so much for sharing! :two_hearts:

@Marsha Thank you so much, Marsha! :heart::blush: And hahaha I think enjoying being in the “in between” for two weeks and stepping out to post about it right before the hourglass empties would be a very liminal thing to do :laughing: :+1: :hourglass: Whatever you choose to do, I am looking forward to reading your entry! Good luck! :relaxed:

@Melora_Fae I’m so glad the theme resonates so strongly with you, Melissa- hooray! :tada: That sounds like an amazing ritual- technically, it was done on the day the challenge posted (and isn’t comparing time zone differences such a liminal experience too! :laughing:), so if you’d like to count that as your entry, I would be happy to count it! :new_moon_with_face: :sparkles:

@Jessica72 That is so cool that you bought the book right before the challenge- we are on the same wavelength once again it seems! :laughing: :+1: :heart: The world of the Fae and their influences across worlds and cultures have many possibilities when it comes to liminality- I think that would be a great topic to explore for this challenge! Good luck and have fun, Jess! :fairy:

@mary25 That’s such a cute poem and I can definitely see it’s liminal nature- this would be a fun way to introduce liminal spaces to kids or even adults who haven’t heard of it before. I love this, Mary! :grinning:

@Jeannie1 Thank you for the information on Chtonia- I agree that Hecate is a wonderful goddess to explore when it comes to liminality! As the Goddess of the Crossroads, she symbolizes the in-between and the space between destinations. Wishing you all the best with using your creativity, Jeannie- many blessings! :candle::sparkles::blush:

17 Likes

My book club book this month has some projects that work with liminality, I’ll probably do one of those. We’ll see!

Thanks for the luck, though! I can use it! :hugs:

14 Likes

I decided to do a Letting Go ritual for Daniel, which will be the third, no, fourth time. I was walking in the woods and I found a bunch of white, gray feathers along the way. Now, I just need to think of how I can use them.
It’s funny. I told myself a long time ago that if I ever fell love with someone and things don’t work out between us, I would get over them in a week or two and never think of them again. Well, I’m eating my words, unfortunately. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

19 Likes

Ooh,this is definitely what I need to get back on track with the challenges

15 Likes