šŸ“› Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magickal Names

It honestly never occurred to me that I could choose/change the witchy name that was given to me. Iā€™ve been Lily (not my birth name) for 50 years. Itā€™s always been such a part of me that I donā€™t think I could be another.

11 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge ENTRY - Magickal Names

Life has a way of changing you, challenging you and keeping you in check. I was so excited when I came across Spells 8. Wow, I AM going to come out of the ā€œBroom Closetā€ and be MEā€¦the rest is history. One day I was looking at my tattooā€™s and thought about the reason why I got one because I swore, I would never do that, it is an identification mark, but I was glad I did. The man my tat represents is dead and that is all I have of him. That got me thinking about names and how I wanted to have a name that ā€œrepresents meā€, not a nick name that many people use but a name I choose since my mother and father gave me my name that I have now, Tracy.
It is important to me, like my tatā€™s, to choose something that has a deep meaning to it. Anyway, that is why I choose to have a Witches Magickal Name but what is it going to be? Well, I decided to worry about that laterā€¦
When I was researching deities, The Goddess Hecate immediately caught my attention, and I knew at that moment she was the Goddess I want to Worship! When I was reading and researching information on
Hecate, Medea was mentioned, and I liked what I read and that is the name I chooseā€¦at the time.

(bingimages,2023)

In Greek mythology, Medea is the daughter of King Aeƫtes of Colchis, a niece of Circe and the granddaughter of the sun god Helios. Medea helped Jason, who was the leader of the Argonauts, to steal the Golden Fleece from her father, King Aeƫtes of Colchis. She had the gift of prophecy whom later married Jason. Medea used her magic to help Jason.

(bingimages,2023)

ā€œJust as Hecate was transformed from a dying virgin into a goddess, so Medea has been turned from a faithful, loyal wife and mother into an avenging angel, hell-bent on meting out death and destruction to all who cross her. Jason fears that his sons will be blamed for Glauceā€™s death. He rushes to Medeaā€™s home to protect his sons, but is horrified to discover that Medea has already killed themā€ (supersummary,2023)
After reading more into Medeaā€™s history, the more I do not like what life has turned her into. With that being said, I have decided to change my Witch Name toā€¦ read on to find out.

Growing up in a family with secrets came be very confusing to a small child. My sister and I were never told we had two sets of Grandparents. When we got old enough to figure out through school and other kids, that we did have other Grandparents, we ask our parents questions like WHY didnā€™t you tell us. Of course, no reply but my father would drop me, my sister, and mother off at ā€œNannyā€™sā€ house. Both Grandfathers passed away before we were born. Then as time went on, my sister, Kim and I asked why dad never went in with us to our grandmotherā€™s house, again no reply. He would go in with all of us, but we only stayed 30 mins. then we all had to leave. No one would ever talk about my motherā€™s side of the family and still to this day most all of those people are dead so I cannot ask any questions, sad.

Mystery People of History ā€“ Eleanor Cobham, Royal Witch
Have you heard of Eleanor Cobham, a woman from fairly humble origins who became a royal duchess and then lost everything when she was convicted of witchcraft? Back in the 15th century probably the last thing you would expect to find in the English royal family would be a witch. So you may be surprised to find that several royal ladies from this period were suspected of practising the dark arts, including Joan of Navarre who was accused by her son Henry V of plotting to use magic to kill him and Jacquetta Woodville who was said to have worked with her daughter Elizabeth to bring about her marriage to Edward IV by using sorcery and making lead images of the king.(historytimeshistory, 1/2/2013)

(Eleanor of Gloucester doing penance image Wikimedia Commons Public Domain, 2014)

I am sure you can probably figure out the new Witch name I have choose to adopt, yes, it is Eleanor. That is the name of my Nanny, the other Grandmother I did not know I had until I was probably 7 years old.

Source

https://www.supersummary.com/medea/summary/

ā€œMedea - Summaryā€ Critical Survey of Literature for Students Ed. Laurence W. Mazzeno. eNotes.com, Inc. 2010 eNotes.com 13 Jan. 2023 https://www.enotes.com/topics/medea#summary-summary-summary-the-story

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Medea+and+Jason+Myth&mmreqh=

File:A Chronicle of England - Page 392 - The Duchess of Gloucester Does Penance.jpg. (2020, July 9). Wikimedia Commons, . Retrieved 03:09, January 16, 2023 from Wikimedia Commons?
title=File:A_Chronicle_of_England_-Page_392-_The_Duchess_of_Gloucester_Does_Penance.jpg&oldid=432096146.

History Times History: Eleanor Cobham, 2 January 2014.

11 Likes

I sure can relate to your OCDā€¦how many pieces of paper have you ripped up because you made a mistake, or it looked messy to you? Mote it Be.

Eleanor

10 Likes

Great idea for a Witchy Name. I just found a lot of information on Rue as a wonderful Sister Witch sent me some and I did not know what it was used for. I needed to learn a protection spell or potion and Rue is used for that.

Blessed Be,
Eleanor

9 Likes

Love this! Excellent post with such Enlightening and Positive vibes. Reading this put me in such a peaceful and relaxed moment. I have intuitions that run on very high energy and are correct 95% of the time. I feel it through pictures, letters, posts (like this).

Blessed Be,
Eleanor

8 Likes

Hi Melora_Fae (I love this) and yes, I absolutely agree with you, I can feel the energy as well! Mote It Be!

Blessed Be,
Eleanor

9 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

Itā€™s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and havenā€™t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline:

ā†’ January 17, 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)

Came into the forum after the weekend and my first impression was who are all these people!? I recognize the avatars but not the names! ā€¦ and then it hit me :laughing:

Iā€™m still reading through all the entries from the weekend, but I want to say congrats to everyone who has discovered their magickal name! :heart::blush: There are so many wonderful discovery stories and really beautiful names on display- to all those who found a new magickal name, reminisced on their naming journey, or simply enjoyed exploring the theme- really great job to you, and thank you for sharing! :pray:

If you havenā€™t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have a bit of time left to do so!

Blessed Be :name_badge: :sparkles:

11 Likes

Hahaha! You sweeeet, you! :kissing_heart: Missed you Bry :hugs:

8 Likes

Honestly @Medea, too many to count :rofl:

6 Likes

Aww :heart: It says a lot that I even feel the need to point these things out, but I know itā€™s important to myself and many others so I always take a minute to say something when I can. Lots of love to you, too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That is such a beautiful story! :heart: Itā€™s amazing to me the connection that we can form with animals. I have this type of bond with the first snake we bought, Willow. Sheā€™s the only one that will let me pet her head, sheā€™ll wrap (loosely) around my neck and shoulders and just hangout :laughing: the other four that we have are much less calm! Your dog :dog: giving you a name is just perfect, and Iā€™m really happy that you have that connection to the name, too!

Iā€™m really glad that you found yourself along the way with this challenge! :heart: I love that name for you, too. I feel like it fits!

Oh goodness, this is funny to me! :joy: I love your name SacredBee, though - itā€™s very fitting for you! You always approach topics with reverence, and the Bee is important to you :honeybee: itā€™s very you.

Beautiful, Eleanor, and that connection youā€™ve got is wonderful. You dug into the history of your family and found something that is meaningful to you! :heart: I love it! If you ever want to change your username here on Spells8, Iā€™m sure we can figure out how to incorporate Eleanor if that name is already taken :pray: :sparkles:

8 Likes

I donā€™t have a magickal name, I donā€™t feel like I need one at the moment if I am honest :woman_shrugging:t2:
But just for the fun of it I did some of the tests posted here and here are my results <3

And then I got Cursed Enchantress and Shady Celeste

10 Likes

This is my challenge entry.

My witch name is Isobel Tuliptree. I chose Isobel as it is a variant on my middle given name, Elizabeth, which was also my paternal grandmotherā€™s name. And I chose Tuliptree as tulip trees are abundant in my back yard. They grow quickly, straight and strong, and they bloom with beautiful yellow tulip-shaped flowers - but only when they are ready, and the blossoms are hard to find among the leaves. They are a canopy tree which strives to be the tallest in the forest.

I kind of felt that it reflected on my personality and on my magick.

16 Likes

Thatā€™s so adorable! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :snake:

7 Likes

@Catharine I spend a lot of time at our familyā€™s home in North East, Ohio and I LOVE the tulip trees!! I remember the first spring that they bloomed and I found the bright orange blossoms - I had no idea tulip trees flowered like that! And then in the fall, when the leaves drop, the dried flowers remain, itā€™s absolutely beautiful! Itā€™s one of my favorite trees as well!

6 Likes

Iā€™ve always thought your name was pretty. Now that I know the connection, itā€™s even better! :tulip: Also, I didnā€™t know tulips grew on trees :laughing:

Sheā€™s so cute! Iā€™ll get some pictures some day :laughing: the only pictures I have are from a while ago and sheā€™s much bigger now.

7 Likes

Challenge Entry: Magickal Names

Have you ever been so excited about a challenge, a project, or an idea that you just canā€™t seem to actually finish it, because it was so much fun and you donā€™t want it to be over? I guess thatā€™s how this challenge was for me if that makes any sense.

Maybe I got a bit carried away by this challenge. My first task was to pick my witch name. I really hadnā€™t done it before because I didnā€™t want to choose something arbitrarily or pick something that didnā€™t fit me. But I sat with the idea long enough that the choices and task began to seem overwhelming. Then it hit me out of the blue.

I have been an ardent fan of greek mythology since childhood and Artemis was always my favorite.
th-4075755778
(source)

So much so that fast forward to my early 20s, when I started raising and breeding lovebirds and parrotlets to sell as pets, and my aviary name wasā€¦

Over the 20 years of breeding, I wrote articles, sold babies as companions, and my logo evolved.
UpdatedArtemisAviaryLogo

Around the same time, I created my eBay account to sell books and handmade parrot toys and my username wasā€¦
Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 13-45-40 artemisia on eBay

When I commissioned my first BoS in 1998, I had a custom cover made with Artemis.

It is one of those things that when I look back I had already made the choice, I just didnā€™t know it or maybe didnā€™t acknowledge it. My witchname is and has always been Artemisia.

Add to that history, my current herbalism journey, and my choice become glaringly obvious. :laughing:
th-1269103912
(source)
As a matter of fact, I just put in an order of herb and plant seeds and two that I had to have were Artemisia absinthium (wormwood) and Artemisia vulgaris (mugwort).

([source](By David Monniaux - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, File:Artemisia absinthium P1210748.jpg - Wikimedia Commons))

I felt like I was on a roll and rode the joy of finding (accepting?) my witchname, I decided to take the challenge of giving names to my athame (that I purchased over 25 years ago)

and my boline (which I acquired last year)

Somehow having my witchname figured out, made naming these two much easier. May I present Moonblade, my athame, and Hunterā€™s Moon, my boline.

This challenge has personally been very moving and fulfilling. Itā€™s also focused me and my practice. Renewed my excitement and devotion. I spent literally hours writing spells and creating recipes for incense and spell jars. I am planning on rededicating myself to Artemis.:bow_and_arrow: :deer: :herb:

And since I was digging around through my old computer files looking for the Aviary info, I thought Iā€™d share this photo of a baby lovebird that I raised in flight.

Blessed be,
Kat

14 Likes

WWC Entry- Magickal Names

My name is Sara. It is plain. I never really liked it growing up and thought I would change it when I was old enough. I never did because I couldnā€™t decide what to change it to. It is fitting however and it matches my universe number.
When I joined Spells8 I became Sara11. I looked up the name Saral and the meaning and it was fitting (The meaning of Saral is : Very easy, Honest, Simple, Simple, straightforward) but I added a second ā€˜Lā€™ because I liked how the number 11 looked at the end. Anyway, it doesnā€™t match my universe number and its more of a boy name. I have been wanting to change my magickal name but I havenā€™t been able to decide on one.
So I worked on that this week! :wink:
I finally came up with :tada: Sarafeena_Sage :tada: I messed around with the spelling of course to match my universe number. It contains My name, I love white sage, Iā€™m an eclectic green witch so it works.
Sarafina means A bright star and Sage means "wise one " I can use this!
:dizzy:A Wise Bright Star :dizzy:

Way better than being named ā€œcursed fortuneā€!!! or Elphaba from Wicked for that matter. My results from a couple of the above charts :wink:
Its not as plain and simple as I am but I wanted to be a little more showy and fancy.
So this is my official request to have my name changed to

:dizzy:Sarafeena_Sage :dizzy:

Thank you. This was a fun challenge. I enjoyed reading everyoneā€™s entries and stories. So awesome and touching.
:butterfly:

12 Likes

I love this for you! :heart: Sometimes things are so obvious that we canā€™t even see them :sweat_smile: you have a lot of history behind your name, and a lot of interest in Artemis over the years to back that up. Congratulations on finding your witch name!

I think it fits you very well! :heart: Your name has officially been changed - congratulations on finding your witch name!

9 Likes

I havenā€™t picked a name yet nor has one picked me. I am excited to see what it will be when it happens and I will be sure to share with everyone when it does.

13 Likes

Hereā€™s a witch name generator for you as promised :wink:
Letā€™s see if Mercury lets us have this :laughing:
https://crystal-cat.github.io/witchname.html

10 Likes