What are Demons? Demonology, Magick & Psychology

Did he then proceed to strike all the matches and leave them there for his soon-to-be ex-coworkers to enjoy? :joy:

That’s a funny rabbit hole to go down nevertheless.

Fireworks are illegal here too, but we hear them sometimes. Now I won’t be able to hear them without thinking of demons. :smiling_imp:

I heard about demons with the sulphur smell so much over the years from entertainment media, like movies and TV shows. It’s hard for me to remember that they were pulling that idea from somewhere that isn’t totally made up.

Now that you mention it, we smelled sulphur recently, and there was no obvious source… :thinking:

That’s one way to decrease match use in some areas and increase it in others. :joy:

That reminds me. I heard a story when I was in South Korea once, from this young woman who wanted to get me into her church. She told me that smoking cigarettes attracts ghosts and gave me this image of someone smoking inside, near a window, and the window is full of ghosts staring at them. It was terrifying. :scream:

Could also put that as a warning on cigarettes. :grin:

11 Likes

@starborn Love this. :joy: I should hand both ideas (matches n cigs) over to the public health minister. Lol. :sparkling_heart:

11 Likes

Been doing more reading on the demon v angel thing (as my Loki is now officially demon ):joy::partying_face:. So here’s what I found rummaging around the internet. These are just viewpoints of individuals, some demonolatrists, some pagans, but I thought they were interesting, to me anyways, as I’m trying to learn as much as I can about yet another facet of my shapeshifting beastie. (But then when I’ve figured this out, if ever, he’ll chuck something else my way I’m sure :person_shrugging::joy:).
So. Loki is listed as demon, devil, teutonic (Germanic) so The Devil and his kind are also known as Jinn (another species I’m now going to look up :grin:). These Jinn are so say primordial matter, like smokeless fire, what we called dark matter/dark energy. Like humans they have free will, follow different faiths and beliefs, form their own communities and lifestyles.

Angels are created from light and at Gods demand, they carry out his commands, messages etc throughout the realms of existence . Unlike Jinn and humans they don’t have freewill as they are aligned to the will of God. Viewpoint 1.

Angels and demons are not much different . They are all angels by default. A Devil represents the dark (but not as in evil), Angels the light (but not as in good). Viewpoint 2.

The Devil was banned from heaven, because he disagreed with the politics so now runs Hell. Viewpoint 3.

So I found this all interesting and feel there’s probably elements of truth in it all. Still it’s nice to learn new things even if alot goes over my head. :joy:

On another point, with the whole sigil thing, this got me thinking.

So if these sigils we know today come from forced summoning of demons rather than a hey, how you doing? Do you fancy tea and cake? kind of invite. Then would it be better to make our own sigils for each of their names? Got me pondering :thinking:

See this is why I fail to finish the Spells8 bookclub, cuz I’m sure now I’m going to find a book on sigils and Jinn, that I’m going to have to read. Good job I’m not a mechanic, my car would never get out of the garage as I’d be constantly revamping it. :person_facepalming::partying_face::rofl:

11 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same. But I’m not well-versed in the use of sigils, so I don’t feel confident making any myself yet.

It’s only the 72 popular ones, too. I think. For example, the one we all know for Lilith isn’t from the Solomon binding. And neither is Clauneck’s really strange brain/eye/heart/testicles one.

I’ve noticed people refer to the 72 as seals and the rest as sigils (or was it the other way around? The heat has me fried), but the words get mixed a lot, too.

But it would give me some more peace of mind if I were not to use anything related to Solomon. If you wanted a companion to work on that with, I’m totally up for it. :smile:

You might also have some more luck looking up the more common “djinn” spelling. (Some people say “genie” but it’s a bit of a… How do I put it… Whitewashed term? Does that make sense? Like, whatever you call the disrespectful Anglicisation of other culture’s cultures. Gosh. Words are failing me right now. :sweat_smile:)

Sounds like me, too. :joy:

And it does affect my work. I got sick of trying to deal with some premade thing late last year, so I ended up throwing the whole project in the bin and building my own. :joy:

11 Likes

@starborn oh yes I’ve seen this spelling of djinn. Good to know thanks.

Yes I feel the same. I dig some stuff out on sigils, @MeganB I know you know about sigils please. Is there any need to know stuff before we make ones to chat to entities.

The one I used for Loki is not a “seal” as he wasn’t of interest to Solomon, and it was drawn by a Lokean, no bad vibes when I used it. The bind rune method is nice but it would mean translating the demon names into runic alphabet (my Valhalla app can do that). It would look pretty. :thinking:. Anyways. Maybe start a sigil making post and ideas can flow. :person_shrugging:.

12 Likes

I had a quick look and found a sigil challenge where Bry posted some demon sigils in the example. :open_mouth:

I might have to do that in my the catch-up, alongside the technology witch one.

There are also a bunch of posts on sigils as well. I will start collating them and throw together an overall sigil discussion thread. What do you think, @tracyS?

12 Likes

@starborn Yep let’s do this. I think it will be fun and blessed. The Demons will probably be thrilled to get a new look on their names, I know I would. A sigil makeover. :partying_face:

Will look up these challenges too. :sparkling_heart:

11 Likes

We’ve done it, @tracyS!

https://forum.spells8.com/t/sigils-seals-a-collection-of-information/42297

I put generic information in the main post, and I’ll start including some more specific things in separate posts inside there. :black_heart:

12 Likes

Fabulous :sparkling_heart::kissing_heart: @starborn

11 Likes

I love this so much :blush: :black_heart:

I picked up the Complete Book of Demonolatry too, it already was on my reading list :smile_cat: I’m still in the very beginning, but I’m liking what I’m reading, there’s no binding and coercing here, but loving connection and mutual respect between fragments of the same divine :smiling_face: :revolving_hearts:

(Or as Lilith wants me to write it, consensual fun between two or more adult spirits :joy: :black_heart:)

12 Likes

Im adding the book to my list! My husband told me i have to read all the books i have by my bed before I can buy anymore​:books: :upside_down_face: :crazy_face::laughing::blush:
At least he didn’t mention the bookshelf!

13 Likes

Yess. :black_heart: It’s wonderful. That’s what I love as well. And I think they do, too.

My partner would probably say the same if they didn’t have just as many unread books on our bookshelf. :joy: Maybe that’s the trick: get him more books than he can read!

12 Likes

Hmm… :thinking: I’ve never made a sigil to contact a specific entity. I would imagine as long as you incorporate their name and an invitation rather than a command, it could be okay. I don’t want to say for sure because, of course, I have zero experience with that :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

This is so fascinating. Thank you for creating this post. I especially love the last sentence that you wrote: “There’s nothing you can accomplish by summoning a demon that you can’t accomplish with other techniques of Magic.” I just signed up for a membership on your site and I’ve been a big fan for awhile! Thank you for this wonderful community. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

Ever since I was too young to remember, I have felt that forgetting changes our personality. Affix to that the ideas of living our own life because we will die our own death & some form of Barbra Walters-like special interview between life and the hereafter, well, I don’t believe in forgetting, either. I forgive easily, but it’s hard to regain my trust: “fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”

12 Likes

Hmm. Makes me wonder about the meaning of being allergic to sulfur.

11 Likes

As a teen, I realized two things:

1. The story of Lucifer wasn’t in the Bible, though many seemed to believe it was. Without a Biblical reference, I was allowed to consider the story like the mythology stories I loved to read- characters were just characters, not someone waiting in the wings of life like some Twilight Zone guardian, waiting to take me away if I said something slightly off color.
  2. Lucifer was acting like a typical teenager of my era. Why should he be punished for all eternity for doing something everyone else gets away with, is forgiven for, and grows out of?
    This was hypothetical question. I was already considered unforgivable just because my father died young. Figure that one out, I dare ya.
12 Likes

@georgia

I don’t know the backstory to what you say here, but I feel a deep sadness for your experience lovely :sparkling_heart:

This is a very good point. When you look at it like that, what Mr Lucifer did was give choice to humankind really, how I see it. Yet humans have done so much worse and been forgiven.

Sometimes however I wonder whether this is like the case between Odin and Loki. They had their differences, eons ago, sorted it, moved on and we humans keep dragging it up. :person_shrugging:. On the one time I offered a prayer to Mr Lucifer, his energy was gentle and loving, so I think, maybe I said it in this post somewhere, if you’ve been an angel, an Arch Angel at that, and been in good moral standing for eons of time, your values will still be with you, even if you “move house” so to speak. Just my rambling mind wandering. You make some interesting points. :heartpulse:

11 Likes

@georgia I may have to look into that & see where my phone decides to go with that one. Honestly I saw the search result & was kind of like, well… now I have to see where this takes me. My son & I had a pretty good chuckle with the reasonings.

Lucifer I could never understand how Satan & Lucifer could be one in the same. But my upbringing also came with definitive reasons for going to Hell but would only ever hear of Satan. When I started hearing Lucifer & other references, they all seemed a bit different from each other while being the same.

I can remember watching the show Lucifer & as different angels or divine beings were referenced or part of the show. The basics of them I could recognize but then how they evolved with each other & the “mortals” seemed more, I’m not sure. There were certain parts, characters, acting, storylines, or what have you that I just… I just couldn’t :joy: But the portrayals & staying in the characters as they were written, I think was very good & how they were being presented. There were some aspects maybe over done or too exaggerated that it was kind of… Um, why? What? But I took it for what was as entertainment purposes for the most part & itade me giggle.

Although Maze was 1 of my favorites :rofl:

12 Likes

Just jumping in to saying I freakin’ love Maze and Ella. :black_heart: :joy:

10 Likes