What are Demons? Demonology, Magick & Psychology

The Greek word “daemon” means “a divinity or supernatural being of a nature between gods and humans”. It has no connotations of evil or malevolence. In fact, Eudaimonia (εὐδαιμονία) literally means “good spirit” as well as “happiness”.

So how did we get to the idea of the “evil” demons as they are seen today?

Demons and Magick

It’s in the Abrahamic traditions, including ancient and medieval Christian demonology, where a demon is considered a harmful spiritual entity. It’s important to note that in other types of occultism, a demon is a spiritual entity that may be conjured and controlled (not necessarily an evil one).

Along with all pagan deities, demons were “demonized”, or in other words, associated with Satan and the devil (just like the horned god was).

“Far into the Byzantine period Christians eyed their cities’ old pagan statuary as a seat of the demons’ presence. It was no longer beautiful, it was infested.” - Fox, Robin Lane (1989). Pagans and Christians.

So, What are Demons?

The name demon can have a different meaning depending on your beliefs, for example:

• For some, they are powerful spiritual entities, malevolent or not, that may serve as a means to an end. Witches’ Familiars are a type of demon.

• For other practitioners, they can be ancient deities, who were “demonized”, portrayed as wicked and threatening.

• For others, they can carry deep symbolism, be archetypes or even parts of the brain.

Probably the most well-known demons are those featured in the Lesser Key of Solomon or Goetia, an anonymous grimoire (spellbook) on demonology from the 17th century. You can find here a list of the 72 demons (known as Goetic demons).

Ars Goetia

Jungian Intepretation :brain:

Magic and psychotherapy may have more in common than we think. The original meaning of the word “psychology” is in fact “the study of the soul” although in modern times “psyche” is seen as just mind with no spiritual component.

So both Magic and therapy deal with immaterial spirits or entities (whether they be considered fictions or hallucinations that must be healed or exorcised in some way).

One of the great therapists of the 20th century, Carl Jung, at one point equated psychology with alchemy, seeing alchemy as a process of psychological transformation and, in turn, psychology as an alchemical process.

Jung describes psyches populated by a host of spirits (“archetypes”), or immaterial patterns that shape the individual and collective psyche. These are personalized, in the same way that a demon manifests itself under a certain pattern of recurring forms, taking, as it were, a personality.

Aleister Crowley’s View :dizzy:

To complete this idea, it is appropriate to invite the British occultist Aleister Crowley. More than 100 years ago he noted a psychological factor in Magick and in the very identity of the spirits, genii, or demons that were invoked and interacted with the Magician.

Aleister_Crowley

Crowley, in his extensive magical work, refers to the entities he conjures up as portions of his psyche and at other times confers autonomy on them. In his introduction to Goetia, Crowley writes:

“The spirits of the Goetia are portions of the human brain. Their seals therefore represent methods of stimulating or regulating those particular spots.” - The Lesser Key of Solomon: Goetia

Crowley is aware that the end of Magick is to transform one’s psyche. In the same text, Crowley explains that “the names of God” are vibrations aimed at yielding to the Will of the magician certain aspects of the human mind and that each spirit obeys a certain mental power.

๑┄┄┄๑ೃೀ ೃೀ๑┄┄┄๑

For anyone interested in learning more about Demonology, I recommend the book Complete Book of Demonolatry by S. Conolly

Studying demonology is a great way to open your mind, expand your knowledge, and find out if there are any demons (genii, or other spirits) in your life :smiling_imp:

Having said this, I think that staying away from demons in general is probably the best route for beginners.

There’s nothing you can accomplish by summoning a demon that you can’t accomplish with other techniques of Magic. :pray:

33 Likes

Just noticed this thread. This is very interesting. Has anyone here experience with demonology, is it still done? Are demons any different from say spirit guides :thinking:. More things to research, another book to my list. I’ve always believed demons were bad (probably my biblical upbringing showing), but this post says that’s not necessarily the case. Interesting. Always something new to learn with Spells8 :sparkling_heart: Fabulous

13 Likes

I click a lot with the Jungian view of alchemical transformation, solve et coagula, the Great Work, or befriending your demons :black_heart: (And I’m pretty sure mad uncle Aleister is right here with me there :sweat_smile:)

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will rule your life and you will call it Fate --C. G. Jung

17 Likes

Something the dark Goddesses have also reminded me of… there are people who see them as terrifying, threatening and evil, and every time what they see is the reflection of their own shadow, that they would rather have out of sight and out of mind. I feel there’s a similar story to demons. It’s no coincidence Lilith has been called a demon too.

Some of my favorite subjects really :smile_cat:

15 Likes

@CelestiaMoon That’s interesting, because one of the rituals in my Loki book has a demon ritual in it. But it was to draw out the demon within us. Alot feel that Loki is a demon too (to me he’s not though). I’ve never studied this side of spirit, so it would be good to get a more balanced view of all the different entities out there, rather than just what the church teaches.

I don’t wish to invite anything else into my life however, just learn about them. And was wondering if anyone has actually worked with one.?:sparkling_heart:

If we are a reflection of the deity we worship, then Lilith can’t be a bad “demon”, you’re too lovely. :sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

That is interesting and new to me! :blush: In my tantra nights we’ve sometimes had a ritual to bring out different parts of us, including shadow archetypes, but never a demon before. Makes me curious what’s the difference there.

Awww, the same could be said about Loki and you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Aww thankyou :kissing_heart: About the demon ritual, It’s in my pagan portals, and it’s a ritual designed to find the demon we’ve created in ourselves through our experiences. It’s deeper than shadow work. Each demon is linked to either anger, grief or fear. And the subsequent deity will appear in the mirror when this demon surfaces, so Fenrir for anger, Jormungandr grief, Hel fear. The ritual is to hilight this, accept it and transform it. What made me a little cautious, was this statement, “Not all demons have good ideas, and acceptance doesn’t mean handing the reigns of your life over to it”, so even though the ritual says it’s not an “external demon”, it’s definitely more than shadow work. :thinking:. When I did the ritual, (you include mirror work with this one) Hel appeared before me. I didn’t fully complete the ritual (to be honest it was late, and I was tired), but obviously there’s a fear there. Then you’re led back from the underworld and back to your waking consciousness. It’s like a form of astral travel. :person_shrugging:. Anyways, I’ll probably do the ritual again, when I’m less tired. Just curious about this type of demon really, as it’s not an external entity, nor is it shadow work as you “travel” with a deity to meet it. :sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

Interesting, I’m kind of reminded of shamanic rituals for retrieving pieces of your soul from the underworld. Making the internal external to better see and face it. Mirror work seems an interesting way to do it, I could try it too.

I’m seeing an analogue in my shadow work… you can have an emotion and feel it, accept that you’re feeling it, and still have no intention of following through what it has to say. Emotions want to be felt… I think demons would want to be seen and heard to be transformed. Obeying their wishes would just be giving more of your power over to them.

12 Likes

Mmm, shamanic, yes I forgot they do this kind of work regularly.

This is so true. Thankyou for this chat, @CelestiaMoon , it’s kind of taken the fear out of the ritual. Maybe that was what Hel was trying to say, “don’t fear the ritual?” :person_shrugging::sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

Thank you, it was a lovely chat and I’m happy to hear that I could give you a boost of confidence there :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I feel I’m more inclined to give mirror work a try too. I used to be afraid of what would show up too and avoided looking into mirrors at night and everything, but there’s much less that scares me today.

11 Likes

The only thing I really know about demonology is that it connects back to the Goetia, sometimes. Demons aren’t necessarily the Biblical hellfire & brimstone creatures that we think of. I’m sure it’s way more complex than that :sweat_smile: but if I can find any other information, I’ll pass it along!

13 Likes

I think Lady Lilith was used, misunderstood and vilified, but I have not been introduced to the Lady myself. Just a feeling I get from the little i have learned about her. :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Carl Jung was my very favorite when I took Abnormal Psychology.

• [

Shadow (psychology) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%2528psychology%2529
](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%2528psychology%2529)

unknown dark side of the personality

Carl Jung’s philosophy of the shadow is that it is the unknown dark side of the personality1. The shadow is instinctive and irrational, and is prone to psychological projection, in which a perceived personal inferiority is recognized as a perceived moral deficiency in someone else1. Jung believed that everyone had a shadow side that they repressed from childhood, and that this shadow is often associated with our negative emotions2. The shadow is composed of hidden aspects of an individual’s personality that are deemed as “unacceptable,” and tucked away into the hidden parts of their mind3.

13 Likes

Thankyou :heartpulse:

10 Likes

In my research of demonolatry, I’ve found there are two rather distinct attitudes towards demons: one side sees summoning them as ok, the other side doesn’t.

After reading the reasoning, I’ve come to understand and stand by the latter. Summoning demons, as in, making them manifest at our will, seems to stem from the stories of Solomon, who summoned and bound them. The sigils we know for many demons come from this.

However, this is seen by the latter group as very disrespectful. I mean, think about it, you’re going about your day-to-day, and then this person decides, nope, you’re gonna come here and listen to my demands or whatever.

Plus, consider that these demons involved in this are all ranked – they’re fallen angels of different levels having taken up reign over the hells, after all. So whether they’re dukes or princes, it’s like, imagine summoning a random politician or even the president to come listen to some unimportant sob story, be asked for a gift, with nothing offered in return. The reasoning had better be worthwhile, right?

I might be exaggerating a little, but what I’m trying to say is that summoning these demons isn’t something a beginner or even a more experienced witch should casually do. The emphasis on “casually”. Demons are big on respectful relationships and it can work out well.

On the other hand, there are the lesser demons. These, unlike those with ranks, aren’t fallen angels. Instead, they are actual demonic entities. Because of that, they don’t have the same internal honour systems and laws that the higher-ranking demons do, and you want to avoid these regardless of what you want to do.

12 Likes

I have some experience.

They’re different from spirit guides in that they’re much less hands-on and they won’t necessarily guide at all.

If one does appear, you can definitely feel it. Their presence in a room is extremely powerful. I didn’t summon one, but I got into demonolatry early, against all advice to the contrary, and one visited following a ritual I did. (The ritual was not to summon one, but I suppose I was mentally open to it.)

I think a large part of them being seen as evil is because they’re attributed to many things seen as vices, from wealth and power to pleasure. This also explains their resurgence in popular media these days.

So, from one person’s perspective, yeah, what they stand for can be considered 100% evil. But to another’s, it might not be.

In terms of evil based on their desire to harm us, I think it’s more akin to respecting a powerful force. The kind of respect one has towards a tornado or a bear. If someone randomly walks into a bear’s den and expects to get a chain around its neck, they can’t expect it to go well.

But on the other hand, if they show humility and are respectful, they can befriend the bear. It might even join them.

Whereas, if we are disrespectful to a more “good” deity, they are more likely to just ignore us.

13 Likes

@starborn Thankyou for this, I like your point

That is my experience with all kinds of entities. It’s to ask, and thank rather than summon and demand.

I was raised to treat others how you wish to be treated, and I feel this applies to all life forms, spirit included.
I have met darker entities, I have one that occasionally visits when I’m very stressed, since I’ve accepted it (rather than in the past fear it and reject it) it’s proved to be very helpful in helping me let go off stuff. Funny, I never summoned it, it just arrived one day, years back. I think I mentioned it in another post about dreams, as it’s very much connected to those too. We have a good working relationship now, when I’m extremely pressured or stressed or afraid, it arrives in the night. I hand over my fears to it, and it’s like a huge weight lifting off me. Funny it’s never asked for anything but my welcoming it.
:sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

It’s to ask, and thank rather than summon and demand.

I like this approach. You make a good point – respect and treating others well is a good rule regardless of what we’re dealing with. :smile:

You’d be surprised to see some of the threads on demonolatry forums. Perhaps the darker side of it attracts different kinds of people, who see it as a promising way to bend others to their will. Some people quickly get angry that their demands weren’t met, akin to ignoring “Don’t be angry at the spirit because your target isn’t in love with you tomorrow.” You see others try to warn them, but it often doesn’t get heard, so all you can do is hope they’re okay at the end of the day. :disappointed:

I hand over my fears to it, and it’s like a huge weight lifting off me. Funny it’s never asked for anything but my welcoming it.

That’s really cool. It’s as though perhaps these fears are sustenance for it, so in a way, you might be feeding it? A mutually beneficial relationship, either way. :black_heart:

11 Likes

@starborn Never thought of it like that,

It’s nice that we can help each other. :heartpulse:

10 Likes

I just realised that this post was created on my birthday, back in May. :exploding_head:

That was a very interesting day for me. It was a black moon here, and I did an important ritual 8 hours before my time of birth, at the time of said moon. And then, 8 hours later, I was getting (unofficially) married.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to share some more.

The princes differ depending on which branch of demonolatry we’re looking at. The one I tend to follow has these six:

• Belial
  • Leviathan
  • Mammon
  • Beelzebub
  • Belphegor
  • Asmodeus

And then a seventh, a Princess, known as Seventh – a creator goddess.

Every so often, I call upon all seven for protection. It’s a simple thing that only requires me to go on a short journey with the six, in my mind, culminating in meeting with Seventh and doing a chant with her.

For someone who used always to fear the dark, this has been very helpful for me.

For some, Satan is the equivalent of Spirit, in terms of earth, fire, wind, water, and Spirit. To which they say, “ave Satanis,” as in, “hail Satan,” at the end of their invoking of the elements. But like not all see the same princes as the princes, not all see Satan as the equivalent of Spirit.

Interestingly, three is also a common number that comes up in demonolatry. For example, three black candles are used in many Luciferian rituals. There are three sides to a triangle, and Lucifer’s sigil is mostly an upside-down triangle.

Given the power of names and sigils, I won’t post any sigils here, in case any are uncomfortable with it. But feel free to look them up or ask me for more.

Funnily enough, I remember in Supernatural, they showed an x-ray of Sam and Dean’s bones with the angel protection sigils that Cass burned in. When I looked closely, I saw that Lucifer’s sigil was also there. Accidental by the writers? Or on purpose?

Another curious thing is that in some parts of demonolatry, the goddesses and gods we know as just that are also considered demons. For example, my patron, Hekate, appears in such books. Not only her, but Ra, Isis, Sekhmet, Osiris, Set, and so on. And they all have their own demonolatry sigils, similar to the Goetia ones, but also, different enough that they might not seem it.

Whether Lucifer, Samael, and Satan are split into separate entities also differs between them. As does where Lilith, my strength, appears.

Many things really depend on where you look. For example, Aleister Crowley is a Thelemite, that is, the founder and follower of the religion Thelema. So, lots of Satanists and Luciferians don’t agree with his work.

12 Likes