A Love Letter to Lilith

Continuing the discussion from Sigils & Seals: A Collection of Information:

Lilith

Lilith is the dark side of femininity, the antithesis of Eve. She is the owner of the Blood Moon, her power draws from menstrual blood. - Lilith: Goddess of Sitra Ahra

There are various seals for Lilith. The most common one we see, besides the black moon symbol (:black_moon_lilith:), is the graphic below.

[Extracted from the Grand Seal of Lilith]

The grand seal, shown below, is comprised of not only this well-known seal, but others. And yes, it is meant to look like what you may be thinking. :black_heart:

[Grand Seal of Lilith]

Another from the grand seal is this one:

[Extracted from the Grand Seal of Lilith]

I’m not too well-versed in the origin of that one, but I see a similar shape in this art by the alchemist George Ripley (c. 1415–1490) in which he portrays her as the shamanistic anima, encountering the adept.

[Scan taken from The Book of Lilith]

But other than that, there are other obvious imageries of the pentagram and the black crescent moons. I believe this part that I’ve highlighted in red might be a glyph that symbolises “blood.”

These parts could also be derived from the Malachim alphabet.

This one, I believe, may be a creation by Dukante, but appears in S. Connolly’s book as the version on the right.

[Left extracted from the Grand Seal of Lilith, right from The Complete Book of Demonolatry]

There are also many more variations found in Lilith: Goddess of Sitra Ahra, including a Spider Queen variation, shown below.

But I think it’s worth noting that all of these sigils/seals are generally more modern creations. None of these date back to ancient times.

Anyway, those are my findings so far. :bowing_woman:

17 Likes

Ah, Lilith is always so fascinating to me… I love to learn anything I can about her… to kind of understand a bit more I guess… I think it has something to do with my upbringing & being raised Catholic (My father went to Catholic school) but also being forever curious for as long as I remember about where these things come from with more questions than answers. Originally it started with why we (as in my family) were Catholic & learning these things but then other families were Jewish or Christian or Baptist & that those were different from Catholic in one or more ways & why they were so different with different practices & holidays. I couldn’t wrap my head around how any of that worked. (Seriously, I have been the one asking questions since :thinking:… forever)

I met my husband & found out that he was also raised Catholic but in a much more… rigid Catholic home… His 2 older brothers & he were in Catholic school starting in grade 5 or 6. (if we’re being honest… hubby got kicked out of the Catholic High School around 10th grade :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) His mother actually worked for that diocese school system (honestly not sure how it works with Catholic Schools) & retired from there. His oldest brother went from 6th grade & graduated college in the Catholic school system… Take a guess who the black sheep of these families are :raising_hand_woman:

However, since I started my path… we have tons! I mean TONS of conversations about the crossovers & my beliefs… but then different things I learned that were changed, taken, what have you by Christianity way back when. The amount of times he’s been like, “I remember this story & this whatever…” Or oh yup that was this but I didn’t know that it actually came from this, but I remember this story about them or this practice or symbol… I mean over the years we’ve had many conversations about various things that we are like… :flushed: So many things & Lilith is one that he knew less about but since I guess leaving the school & throughout his own questioning of things & life experiences also learned a lot about different things too.

Okay rambling, so sorry brain zigzagged a little bit… but Lilith is one entity that my husband & I have discussions about as well as with my oldest son! & now his girlfriend joins us! Which is always fun :hugs:

15 Likes

I have the Grand Seal in my notebook that I often get back to, it was a delight to draw :blush: :black_moon_lilith:

It’s fascinating to hear about the parts of the seal, and the sigil alphabet, which I knew had to exist, but didn’t really have the words to search or ask about :black_heart: Something I want to dive deeper into now… :blush:

19 Likes

I’m not familiar with the lovely Lilith, but her seal is very pretty. :sparkling_heart:

16 Likes

I just realized that I’ve been unwittingly carrying a bias too, for Lilith in her Goddess aspect over her demon one, staying away from diving any deeper into demonolatry… I never really were into Christianity, but the collective messages are strong, and I’ve been picking them up from movies, games etc. How working with demons is foolish, how they’re after your soul, how there’s always a safer alternative to accomplish whatever you’re after etc… (Use demons for your personal gain? Now that to me sounds foolish… and it applies to any other beings too…)

The recent discussions here have given me some food for thought, and it feels this thread brought it to its conclusion… I want to learn more about Lilith’s other side too, fully embrace her as the powerful Queen of demons she is… :black_heart:

12 Likes

I’ve talked here previously how I met Lilith in a meditation in a medieval rose garden… just a moment ago my girlfriend was there, and sent me a beautiful picture from there :blush: :black_heart:

16 Likes

@CelestiaMoon

This was me too. Happy to accept Loki as Norse god, but something in me kept saying, it doesn’t stop there!:rofl:. Embracing the demon has been liberating actually, because I think it’ll bring you really close to her, and her to you. Please share. I know so little of this beautiful angel, so will love to learn more. :sparkling_heart:

13 Likes

Beneath the gentle, silvery embrace of the moon, shrouded in the velvety cloak of night, we shall find ourselves in her celestial garden, and dance the dance of those who are fierce and free. :black_heart:

Meeting Lilith in a rose garden could not be more perfect. :black_heart: It’s so symbolic of when she left the garden and went on to create her own.

14 Likes

Same. :black_moon_lilith: :black_heart: And it’s so hard to find much of anything that agrees with anything. I often feel like a big part of my discovery with Lilith is doing it personally.

I think so, too. :smile: :black_heart:

Although I have only read a few, here are some books I’ve kept the names for eventual reading:

• The Book of Lilith - Barbara Kultov
  • Lilith: Goddess of Sitra Ahra - Daemon Barzai
  • Lilith The Legend of the First Woman - Ada Collier
  • The Magick Of Lilith: Calling Upon the Goddess of the Left Hand Path - Baal Kadmon
  • The Case For Lilith - Mark Biggs
  • Lilith - The First Eve: Historical and Psychological Aspects of the Dark Feminine - Siegmund Hurwitz
  • Screech Owl: The Lie Behind Lilith - G.P. Haggart
  • Kali Mantra Magick: Summoning The Dark Powers of Kali Ma - Baal Kadmon
17 Likes

Also, the book The legends of the Jews (complete) by Louis Ginzberg has alot of stories about all the deities from biblical times that are not included in the bible version. It’s really fascinating for some back story. :grin:

15 Likes

Ooo… more books :books: :sparkles: Thank you! :blush:

14 Likes

Yes~ :blush: :black_heart:

And then there’s this… she gave me a gift wrapped in paper that on the outside was silvery as the moon, and inside black as the night… :silver_heart: :black_heart: Wrapped inside the paper, nothing at all… what more could she give me that I already don’t have? :black_moon_lilith:

17 Likes

I have felt the same. I was raised Lutheran when I was young, then let go to find my own way, rebelled religion and spirituality for many years, then found some comfort in Christianity until I woke up and started questioning everything. When my mom died, in her last breath, she showed me what comes next when she opened her eyes after having them closed for days prior. It was beautiful and heart stopping and left me speechless. From that moment on I have been on this roller coaster ride of a spiritual journey, learning who I really am and what I truly believe in.

Lilith, The Morrigan, Nix…all the Gods and Goddesses of the Underworld, demons…have always scared and intimidated me. I’m learning so much from all of you. I’m glad I have you to hold my hand.

16 Likes

Funnily enough, I’m too afraid of roller coasters to ever go on one. Yet here I am talking about communicating with “demons.” :joy: I’m glad to be on this ride with you.

We all have areas where we’re glad to have someone hold our hands and, as mine is communicating, being open and vulnerable with others, I’m glad you’re all also holding mine. :black_heart:

13 Likes

Well, if the definition of demons is anything like my Loki (and he’s demon, no brainer there really, but at first I didn’t want to see it :grin:), they’re fun, loyal, loving, wise, adventurous, patient, long suffering (boy has Loki put up with some stupid choices on my part :person_facepalming:, but he’s never judged me, laughed yes, judged no :rofl::sparkling_heart:) and know when you’re ready to handle their demon reveal :flushed::partying_face:. Woohoo. I think it’s time they got some good press.

12 Likes

That is awesome that your family is getting involved. I just recently found out my son also knows way more than I realized. He was talking to me about Renegades… LOL. When I first met his girlfriend, she told my son that I come from a family of Witches, and she was spot on! I have spent hours discussing ASTROLOGY, Moon potions, Tarot Cards, and so on… with her.

Also, Lilith has sparked my interest out of know where. I honestly believe she contacted me! I worship the Goddess Hekate but like I said, Lilith has been on my mind daily.

Mote It Be
Medea :tarot_card: :black_cat: :black_cat: :witch_hat:

15 Likes

My oldest is more Norse Pagan. I know his girlfriend is pagan, but not about any deities as of yet. We have had other discussions about practice though. Similarities & differences in ours & my son’s.

It helps me sometimes to get out of the hustle & bustle of my days too. I always enjoy a good conversation & different practices of each person. Things they’re interested in & things they have either not come across or haven’t tried. Whether its something they want to or that doesn’t appeal to them :hugs:

12 Likes

I definitely agree with you I am very happy to be here at spells 8.
Everyone here is wonderful patient helpful understanding it’s nice to have people when you are confused about a topic or issue to have people give feedback it just helps it makes me feel not so alone on this journey I’ve chosen this is a path I’ve been on I just didn’t know it at times

11 Likes

I’m interested in Lilith. I don’t know much about her other than what I’ve learned here and saw on The Chilling Adventures if Sabrina :rofl::crazy_face:I was brought up Christian, which explains my fear of demons, but I’m learning they’re not evil! I went to methodist church. My parents made me go til I was a teenager and let me decide for myself if I wanted to keep going and I did. I enjoyed my church and youth group. My church was VERY liberal. In youth group we actually talked about things pertinent to today’s teenagers (well teenagers 30 years ago!) We talked about relationships and sex before marriage. We weren’t doomed to hell if we had sex before marriage. We were taught that God is love and he loves us as we are.
We had a sleepover at one of our sister churches. Some of the kids were "playing " with a ouija board! IN THE CHURCH! That’s how liberal we were. People weren’t afraid to use a ouija board! I don’t think the adults knew :thinking: :rofl::crazy_face: we watched scary Halloween movies. We went on fun trips. So my experience was wonderful and fun! This is probably why I hold on to my Christian roots.
I’ve tried a few churches in my adulthood so my kids could experience it. One church they liked wanted us to go out and convert people to Christianity. I was like HELL NO! That goes against my beliefs. So haven’t been to any church in over 10 years.
My older son said he was an athiest, but he was actually agnostic.
Last year my kids wanted to go to a private catholic school. I was surprised, but was grateful as our public high school is absolutely terrible. Not a place for anyone to learn and flourish. Now both my kids are Christian. My older son prays everyday and has faith in God, which has helped his mental health significantly! Everyone needs something to believe in. My younger son was always anti formal religion. He’s 15 now and he’s started going to church and even went on a weekend retreat. I think the church he goes to has a youth group much like mine and he seems to have fun, so I’m glad he’s found that! Just as boys turn to Christianity I become a witch! My older son does show interest in understanding what witchcraft and paganism is. He wants to go on a family trip to Salem!
It’s strange how things turn out!
Sorry, I kinda strayed from the topic of Lilith! But, she is on my list to research! Thanks everyone for all that you’ve shared! :heart::blush::people_hugging:

13 Likes

@Sivonnah What a lovely experience. It’s nice your kids have spirituality. When it comes to witchcraft, my mum just tells everybody I’ve embraced the old religion. :sparkling_heart:. It sounds less scary than witch, and it’s true too. :grin:

11 Likes