A Protective Veil 🛡 Magick in the Arts

I had to think for a while about what I was going to do for this challenge. At first, I thought about creating another sigil painting like the one my daughter and I did together last month. Then I thought about practicing my flute :musical_note: and recording it for you all to see and hear. But then I started thinking about something else. I crochet (I know, you probably already know that) and I have been drawn to the idea of veiling for a long time now.

I veiled for a few weeks back when I was 19 and living in Oklahoma, but it did not feel like the right time, nor the right reason. Now, though, I am looking at it in a different light.

But what does veiling have to do with art?

Well, I decided to use my craft and method of creation to make a little veil for myself. It isn’t a traditional veil in the sense that you would think, but it does the job of covering the top of my head as I want it to. It actually is made like a bandana and ties underneath.

The Veil

I chose a thin yarn, one that would not be too heavy on my head when I wear it. I got this yarn a long time ago and honestly have no idea what it is. I picked it up from a thrift store back in Oregon. It is a very fine, thin, white yarn that did well for this project. Plus I have a lot of it and might make some more :sweat_smile:

I used a free crochet pattern I found online as a base but then adapted it to what I needed. Before I wore it for the first time, I set it on my altar space next to Brigid’s candle and asked for Her blessing.

And then I wore it!

I know it doesn’t seem witchy at first, so I figure I need to explain the reasoning behind the veil, to begin with. Also, in the future, I plan on experimenting with different types of veils that can be crocheted :yarn:

I have anxiety and a few other mental health disorders. The idea behind veiling first came to me a long time ago when I was first dipping my toes into different types of paganism and devotional acts. That isn’t necessarily where veiling is leading me today, but it is part of it. I have found through speaking to other people online who also wear a veil that there are at least two different schools of thought on veiling. Some do it as a devotional act, veiling because their Gods called them to. Others veil to protect their own energy during the day, during readings, or during meditation, etc. The veil acts as a physical barrier, charged with energy and charmed to keep certain things out and others in. For me, this experiment with veiling is being combined with my other treatments for my anxiety disorder to see if I can quell the chaos that brews in my mind and in my chest.

With a veil blessed by Brigid and charged with protective energy, I’m hoping to use my crochet skills to protect my energy from leaking out, keep my spiritual body from absorbing the energy of others, and keeping the chaos quiet.

Obligatory note that magick and energy work are not substitutions for mental health treatment!

Continuing the discussion from :art: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magick in the Arts

15 Likes

@MeganB That is some wonderful crocheting, and I was not familiar with “veiling” so thank you for that information. I’ll have to look into it more. It looks great on you.
Blessed Be,
:blue_heart:

10 Likes

Thank you :heart: I still need to look into some different forms, but I think this is working for me so far.

10 Likes

What an interesting concept - and what a beautiful veil! You do such great crochet work! Good job!

10 Likes

That was super interesting to read! Devotional craft can be so rewarding and I hope it will help a lot with your anxiety :pray:

Thanks for sharing, @MeganB !!

9 Likes

Megan,
I like how thin your crochet yarn is and over all! You used it for a shield :shield: that is very creative!
Thank you for sharing from your heart, I appreciate your realness! I believe it has been done!
So mote it be!!
Blessed be

10 Likes

Your protective viel is beautiful, @MeganB- in addition to looking nice and holding powerful meaning, I think it perfectly ties together your lovely magick with your amazing crafting talent! :yarn::sparkles:

Thank you so much for sharing- may your veil protect you, shield you, and bring you inner peace and secuirty. Blessed be! :blush:

9 Likes

Thank you everyone :heart:

So far it seems to be doing what I want it to :laughing:

10 Likes

I just came across this and Veiling seems like a wisp in my memory but that’s it. I love the concept and plan to do it myself for similar reasons and would love any real life tips you would be willing to share.

8 Likes

This is sooo witchy and magickal Megan! I am in awe at your lovely gifts and talents specially, in this field of Art & Craft Magick! :sparkles: :kissing_heart: :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

I’m going to be 100% honest with you – veiling for me didn’t last long at all :sweat_smile: it wasn’t because it didn’t work, it’s actually because I physically can’t stand anything to be on my head like this for any period of time. And I didn’t realize this until after I started wearing bandanas and stuff.

I do know veiling can be with any type of head covering, including bandanas, scarves, headbands, etc. There are a few people in the coven who veil regularly and some who just veil during ritual.

Thank you very much, Solasta! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Thank you. Maybe I should post about it, right now I wouldn’t have the slightest idea how I would word that :laughing: :woman_facepalming:t2:

8 Likes

I believe we have some resources here in the forum about veiling and what it’s usually used for. Let me grab some links for you! :running_man:

→ Randomness about Veiling

→ Let’s talk about Veiling! - YouTube

→ Magical essence as a part of you or as all of you? - #7 by Amaris_Bane

→ Veiling in My Practice - YouTube

→ The Call To Veil: Headscarves In Paganism [CC] - YouTube

→ Pagan Veiling: Answering Some Frequently Asked Questions [CC] - YouTube

→ Veiling in Witchcraft & Why I Had to Change my Mind About It - YouTube

Maybe some of those can help answer any questions you have! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Thank you so much

8 Likes

You are very welcome! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Quick side road, does my energy, or maybe I could call it feeling, sensing fall under Empath?

8 Likes

I think if all you’re doing is sensing the energy, then maybe not. Usually, someone that is an empath will sense the energy but also instinctively internalize it and take it on as their own. This is something that many empaths have to learn to shield against and stop doing.

8 Likes

Yeah I have no idea what to call what I do. I’ve been trying to block it out for so long I don’t even know anymore what it is that I do. The only thing I knew to do as long as ago as it is that I noticed it is to what I can only describe as tensing up my entire being to block it. Now all I feel is anxiety.
I’m terrified to let it in to figure it out

8 Likes

Hi @Nixi, I veil as part of my regular practice. I don’t veil around those I’m 100% comfortable with (family, close friends) but always when out in public and around some toxic acquaintances. I’m not sure exactly what you are looking for but I’ll share my process.

I use a handkerchief or bandana 95% of the time. I do have some scarves I’ll use in more formal times (working with my deities, funerals) or of I feel like making people around me question what the hell I’m doing, lol. I love in Houston, TX and have full sleeve tattoos. If I’m walking around in summer with shorts and tank top then my scarf veil, I get lots of confused looks (and yes I do it on purpose :crazy_face::wink:). :rofl::rofl::rofl:

In the morning, I take whatever I’m going to be using and place it on my altar. I light some incense and do some grounding work. Then I hold my veil-to-be in my hand. I visualize a golden light starting within me and then slowly moving out to surround me in a bubble. At this point, I’ll add filters if I want to allow certain types/amount of energy though (I’ll explain this in a minute). Once I have my shield, I ask my veil to be the anchor of the shield and to protect me throughout the day. I then imagine tying the shield to my veil, much like thing my shoes or a bow.

I then use a spray on the underside (I’ll find the post and link here). I use this spray on my veil as an added layer. I then place the veil on my head and secure in place, again visualizing it holding the shield around me in place.

At the end of the day, I remove the veil and shake it out 3 times away from me. I then use incense to cleanse it and thank it for protecting me throughout the day. I nearly fold it and place it back with the rest of my veils.

To add a filter to my shield, I imagine the bubble as being porous to the energy I want to allow in, any other energy can’t pass through these pores. If I want to allow a certain amount of the energy in, I’ll visualize these pores as closing once a particular “volume” has passed through them. In honesty, I don’t use this method much (I’ve used it a funerals to absorb some of my husband’s grief but that’s about it).

8 Likes

It’s okay not to know if what you do has a name or not know what to call it :heart: You’ve developed a way to deal with it, although maybe it isn’t entirely healthy? :sweat_smile: Maybe you can develop a method of shielding or use @SilverBear’s Empath Shielding Spray :shield:

7 Likes