**Black Obsidian**

Black Obsidian is a stone of psychic protection and creates a shield around the aura. By keeping you powerfully grounded to Mother Earth. Black Obsidian creates a safe space for us to work through emotional issues or strengthen our psyche. Black obsidian is truth enhancing. It not only protects you energetically, but absorbs negativity from the enviornment, too.

Cleansing/Charging
Some of the various ways you can cleanse/clear crystals:

• Moon light - full or new moon is best but crystals LOVE lunar energy from any of the phases. Great for charging, especially the New Moon phase.
  • Smudging - one of the most common ways to clear your crystals and you can use White Sage, Palo Santo or any incense.
  • Rice - brown rice is another great, inexpensive way to clear your crystals. Throw the rice out after you’ve cleansed your crystals.
  • Sound - this is my favourite way of clearing crystals! I just love it and I think I get more of a cleansing than my crystals do. You can use singing bowls, singing pyramids (these are amazing!) tingshaw bells, tuning forks or even some YouTube clearing videos (you can use ours here to clear your crystals). I like to use sound to both clear and charge my crystals. I simply change up the intention depending on whether I’m cleansing or charging.

Sunlight and water are very harsh methods in my opinion.
Sunlight can fade your crystals and water can damage some crystals. Salt can also be damaging because if the salt gets caught in a crack, it can attract moisture, which can damage some crystals.

15 Likes

Amazing! Thanks for sharing, Christina!! :smiley:

I don’t own any obsidian, but now I know the next crystal I want to get! :black_heart:

It’s also good to mention that Mayan merchants were trading Obsidian as far back as 100 years BC. Given the abundance of obsidian found in the area and its high value, it was considered most precious and there are many mythical tales that involve this stone!

Aztecs also used polished Obsidian as mirrors for scrying purposes; as a way of prophesizing the future.

More of these uses can be found here: Pre-Columbian use of Obsidian.

9 Likes

OH nice! Thank you both for sharing the information! I have some black and rainbow obsidian in my collection.

I have seen scrying mentioned several times in the forum and I am wondering exactly what that is or how do you do it? I have heard of it before but never really understood what it meant.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing, @christina4. Black obsidian is my favorite gem/crystal. I have a small black obsidian ball for scrying and I love it.

7 Likes

Ooh, thank you so much. Just the right crystal to set in front of my computer to stop all the negativity Facebook can bring. LOL. This was some good information. I’ve got mine clearing on a selenite charging plate right now.

6 Likes

Scrying is when you use a black reflective surface, like obsidian or a mirror painted black, or maybe a black bowl filled with water. You gaze at the surface looking for shapes and signs that can be interpreted into meaning for you. At least that’s what I understand scrying to be.

6 Likes

@Amethyst thank you so much! I will put that on my list of next things to work on! Right now I am trying tarot. I do a 7 day one on Sundays and I try to do a 3 card draw every other day. Then I want to try to work with a pendulum.

5 Likes

I’m just getting into doing a three card draw on tarot. I tried that seven day one but it was too much for me to read at once, I’m just a beginner. But I’m finding my feet and feeling more confident.

As for pendulums, this is a forty-five minute vid on pendulums that is really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZCQQj44Ck&list=PLWIrdU1Xu5AXsFDSPhkt1ZevyAxaNJJ3g Hope that helps you when you get around to it.

4 Likes

That was an interesting article! Obsidian has many uses. I like how the Aztecs stuck with it preferably over metal. Thanks for sharing this info.

6 Likes

You’re welcome :blush: @praecog29 @Amethyst and @Susurrus glad you found it useful. I have a request for the next crystal but is there any other crystal you’d all like to see highlighted for the next time?

5 Likes

I just ordered an obsidian bat and an obsidian triquetra in my latest crystal shopping spree! Soon, I’m going to do a post on all the lovely specimens I’ve gotten lately & how they’re playing a part in my life these days! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! :black_heart:

6 Likes

Awesome information about a very useful stone! You make a good point about salt- it can indeed occasionally damage or get stuck in crystals with cracks or nooks :salt:. Brown rice a very creative soltuion- I’ll have to try rice cleansing sometime! :+1: Thanks so much for sharing, @christina4! :black_heart::blush:

4 Likes

:black_circle:you’re welcome :black_circle::blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I have a question, do you prefer the pics that I take or pics taken from Pinterest or otherwise for the crystal posts?

3 Likes

@christina4 I would love to see smoky quartz, I have a couple of pieces and I love it! Or maybe amazonite too! I have a gem tree of that and a few rough pieces of it.

Thank you so much for the pieces you do on the crystals!

4 Likes

You’re very welcome @Susurrus! :hugs: It’s why I do it, so it could help someone in any way. I’ll add smokey quartz and amazonite to the list! I have a aventuine tree. Idk how to spell it lol

4 Likes

Thank you for this. I have an obsidian sphere. I know it works for dispelling negativity. I did not know you could charge obsidian with sound!

5 Likes

Yes you can charge it with sound. I use crystal singing bowls sometimes. My first sphere was an obsidian. Anywho you’re quite welcome :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The pictures taken by you are so much better! They have a warm, homey feeling to them!

6 Likes

Ok thanks :blush: I’ll use more of my own then

4 Likes

A second vote for using your own pics, as long as you are comfortable sharing them! :raised_hands: I agree with Francisco- they have such a wonderful homey ambiance. And I love seeing your inspiring collection of crystals! :gem: :heart_eyes: Not to mention your other lovely decorations- that Himalayan salt lamp is gorgeous! :heart:

4 Likes