Do Angels have a place in Wiccan Religion?

Been, studying Wicca for almost 9 months now. It’s kinda of been my sole Religion lately. In the beginning of my journey, felt like I was betraying the God i grew up believing in. Therefore, creating a tug-a-war inside my soul. However, throughout my spiritual process, i learned that in the Wiccan Religion, there is no judgement, and no one is telling you, that your gonna go to hell if you don’t believe in “one” God. The beauty of the Wiccan Religion is that you can believe in one God or in as many as you want. That’s why I fell in love with this Religion and I have never felt more at ease with my spirituality, than now.
There is a calmness in my soul and heart- everything just feels so right. (Btw, my prosperity spell is working!! I work as a bartender/server in NYC- this industry took such a hard hit with Covid-19, it’s pretty much impossible to survive nowadays in the industry. I actually had some customers, of course, outdoor dinning. I had a good night, tonight! Therefore, thanked my guides, and that’s the reason I lit my candles as soon as I got home.)

I’m not sure if I’m putting it right?! Do Angels have a place in Wicca? If so, how do you merge them? It’s ironic now that I’m on the other side of the spectrum. I’m Thinking I’d be pissing off my wiccan God’s and Goddesses. I guess this feeling is just my indoctrination of my old beliefs. I mean, I do believe in Angels just as i believe in Faires. It’s just something that’s been on my mind lately.
Thank you for listening, and let me know what you think or advice?

Blessed be.

P.S- a customer gave me this beautiful, handmade, oyster shell, that represents an Angel. You guys know how much I love seashells. Is it a sign? It’s what got me thinking about Angels to begin with.

17 Likes

I am sure that - like most things in the craft- there is a wide range of answers here @Walter. I love your posts because I can fully relate to your journey. I think I am finally finding my comfortable path and it is peaceful. I think of angels as another source of inspiration and assistance. Others also incorporate the use of sigils, crystals, herbs, color, moon phase, day of the week, the list goes on and on.
Since Angels have been documented in so many ancient cultures over the centuries - including some pretty significant biblical references - I don’t choose to count them out. I bought the above book so I can at least have a name to reference.

There are angels associated with the four directions.
Michael - South - Strength and Protection
Raphael - East - Love and Joy
Gabriel - West - Mercy and Peace
Uriel - North - Vision and Wisdom

or I might use them in combination with the Witch’s Pyramid.
East - Air - Knowledge - Raphael Love and Joy
South - Fire - Will - Michael’s Passion and protection
West - Water - Dare - Gabriel Mercy and peace
North - Earth - Silence - Uriel Vision and Wisdom

Personally I don’t see a contradiction. AND if angels are crossing your path that is cool!!
Be well, Walter!

23 Likes

@berta I loved your answer!! Those correspondences are very useful :+1:

@walter Just like Berta said, those four archangels (angels of high rank) are associated with each cardinal direction, so they have an indirect link to Wicca.

The word angel itself comes from Latin “angelus” meaning messenger, so an angel doesn’t necessarily have to be a Christian thing. In the Greek world the goddess Nike and the gods Eros and Thanatos were also depicted in human-like form with wings:

Thanatos 640px-Goddess_Nike_at_Ephesus,_Turkey

The Greek magical papyri (100 BC - 400 AD) list the names of the angels found in monotheistic religions. Except they appear as deities.

It’s possible that certain guides, or even spirits like the fae, spirits of the land or the home may appear to you as angels. That’s very likely if you were brought up Christian.

Personally I think that it’s up to you. Many Wiccans engage in practices that are outside of Wicca and there are no special rules about angels. In my view, whatever helps you keep your faith and stay grounded can be a source of power.

There’s also a book called Wiccan Book of Angels which may be interesting to you.

16 Likes

@berta thank you for the load of information and the book recommendation. You’re always so resourceful.

10 Likes

@Francisco thank you very much for the detailed information. Guess I’m just trying to figure out different avenues and going with my intuition. Happy with my spiritual growth and where I’m at these days. Maybe one day I will call upon the angels for my spell work and rituals. @berta gave me great advice too! Thank you!

10 Likes

… a girl does what she can…LOL

9 Likes

Inclined on a Chaoist perspective and philosophy with the phrase; “nothing is true; everything is permitted,” is my moral way on working in my practice. You can do things, and make it to work without restrictions.
Adding this on wicca, I don’t see the harm. The important thing here is you, and on how you feel when working on your system you choose to follow.

13 Likes

There are angels associated with the four directions.
Michael - South - Strength and Protection
Raphael - East - Love and Joy
Gabriel - West - Mercy and Peace
Uriel - North - Vision and Wisdom

or I might use them in combination with the Witch’s Pyramid.
East - Air - Knowledge - Raphael Love and Joy
South - Fire - Will - Michael’s Passion and protection
West - Water - Dare - Gabriel Mercy and peace
North - Earth - Silence - Uriel Vision and Wisdom
Posted by: @berta

In Demonolatry, an elemental circle is invoked with the Demons Belial for North/Earth, Lucifer for East/Air, Flereous for South/Fire, and Leviathan for West/Water. Satan can also be invited as the fifth element, or the wellspring from which all energy flows. Note that some occult schools of thought call the fifth element spirit.

Not posting this awesome similarities for a debate, but to show the beauty of our practice as a whole. That there’s more than one mechanism to achieve on what we’re seeking to fulfill our life as magicians.
:eight_pointed_black_star:

10 Likes

That’s perfect :black_heart: Thanks for sharing!

9 Likes

Everyone shared some great information to your question, so I will just share a photo of a little something I made today while celebrating the season with the family. Still needs paint.

13 Likes

@Cinnamonoob Oh, I love this! My daughter and I collect shells & we like to do crafts! I will show this to her and maybe we can make our own variations with intentions. You did a wonderful job! Beautiful.

10 Likes

@Cinnamonoob, that looks amazing! I’m sure gonna look wonderful when it’s painted! Thanks for sharing.

8 Likes

I have to admit this topic has been difficult for me. It’s forced me into some soul searching as I investigate all the wonderful resources shared in this thread. Thank you :pray:, @walter, for the question.

I like @Francisco’s answer because I have certain biases when it comes to “Christian” topics. On my personal journey from conservative Christianity to liberal Christianity, I gave up my beliefs in the devil :smiling_imp:, angels, demons, heaven, hell, etc.

When I initially embraced Wicca, I didn’t worship my Goddess. I didn’t “worship” anything. Wicca, to me, was about connecting to the energy, the magic, within all things. It was about the :earth_americas: :earth_africa: :earth_asia:earth and what was either explainable or someday will be explainable.

Now I worship The Triple Goddess :waxing_crescent_moon: :full_moon: :waning_crescent_moon: and I am open to other expressions of faith and other practices concerning other worldly beings. I have my own path I need to follow but I love the diversity of thought within this coven.

Clearly, evidenced by all the amazing :star_struck: responses, angels have a place in Wicca, if you believe they have a place in Wicca. They might not have a place for me, due to the above mentioned biases, but that shouldn’t hold you back from you following your own path. And if you merge angels :angel: with your beliefs, then that is where you were led and you shouldn’t fear what others may say or what your Gods and Goddess will do. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

@praecog29thank you for the great response. I’m glad you liked the topic. I too had a tough time trying to figure out where my faith and beliefs stand. Like you, I also started with Wicca to embrace the energy it has to offer, which I’ve learned it’s quite powerful and beautiful. For me, I think Angels are like beings from another world I Suppose. Still learning and finding my sea legs. But, I’ve come a long way since I started with Spells8. I get more confident in the craft, as every day passes. I’m glad to have this forum and group , as I’m not out as a Wiccan. Not afraid for what my friends, family may say- it’s just that is something personal for me and no one’s business as to what my religious beliefs are.

10 Likes

@praecog29 I am so glad for your input. I have experienced some REALLY damaging relationships with ‘traditional religions’. When I was in College and exploring different beliefs, philosophy, and religions (and yes, I separate those subjects) I often found truth in an area that was absolutely shunned by my Christian friends. When I challenged them and ask “if it is truth what does it matter who said it? Doesn’t that just prove God in everything?” they would gasp and walk away rapidly like I had just said something unforgivable. But instead of giving up and riding the tide of blissful ignorance it made me dig deeper, question more, and really listen.
I am so glad you found some deep roots for yourself that anchor you in your beliefs. It is what we are all striving to obtain.
I have had four profoundly significant experiences in my life that made me FEEL the TANGIBLE presence of something greater than myself. A comfort, clarity, an overwhelming warmth of safety and protection that I couldn’t own or imagine as coming from my own mind. It is those moments I use as anchors for my own proof or evidence that I choose to trust in. All three events were a potential life crisis and all four times the messages were of great peace and comfort. I choose to label them angelic, and you may have chosen a different label, but like I said… “If it is the truth what does it matter who said it.”
THANK YOU for your openness, and I am always so happy to read your responses. I respect your path. To my view it is better to have something to believe in…I think it is the height of arrogance to think that there is nothing greater than ourselves, not to mention -sad- to be missing out on the joy of all that is miraculous in the mundane.
:heart: :two_hearts: :heart:

10 Likes

@berta, great response. I completely agree with you. I also have had experiences that made me question many things. And like you stated, there is definitely something greater than ourselves. That I can be sure of.

8 Likes

Thanks for all the awesome information. :slight_smile: I come from a Christian background so this all means a lot to someone like me. That being said, I did expect there to be such acceptance, because, well, Wicca is just nice like that. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Walter,
Hey appreciate you sharing, I personally was not sure to evoke the arch angels, because they were linked to the Christianity however when I was a child I collected some statues. I had over fifty or so! to me they will always have a space in my heart! I hold dear to me what beliefs, I originally had because at that time; I had a pure spirit! John Dee was one of the greatest magicians and he worked with angels! And let’s not forget the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn! I heard even Silver Ravenwolf to believed in them. She swears by theme and even Damion Echols! He said that they basically show up all over the place in pre-history and key paintings and Buddhist lineages!
I guess pushing yourself will be good for you Walter! Keep it up!!
Doreen virtue has many books on the subject, she also has many oracles that I use when I need to hear a positive message! Arch angels are like spirit guides! Some books Doreen virtue has on numbers and how they can coordinate with your day! If you see a number you can look the number up in the book! Every number means something 222 your on the write path! 444 legions of angels You can get a app with Alana Fairchild it’s called the “111 Oracle”! Have you seen any angel numbers today? I can look it up for you!
When I saw the tarot deck I saw angels and wanted to ask more questions then. The Temprace card the message you can have a foot in the spirit and one in the physical! Do balance the scale in your life! There’s so many messages!
The world :earth_americas: card has a angel and “in every corner protecting you”!
They just had a podcast tarot bytes the tarot with Andrew barke ! on how the raider wait tarot deck is filled with angels!

I have a extra book if you want it I can send it to you! Just send me the address on a message! I ordered a book and got a extra somehow! It’s called Angel Therapy bye Doreen Virtue. Let me know it’s got lots of good information!
Jeannie

11 Likes

@Jeannie1, thank you for all the valuable information. I’m always seeing number combinations. Which I look up…I’ve been getting many coincidences that involve Angels lately. Dreaming about them as well.

Jeannie, that be great if u have the Xtra book, I’ll gladly pay for it .(Thank you so much! That’s very sweet of you.) It’s been awhile since I’ve read an actual book. All my books are digital lately. Just easier to have, than paperback books. Mostly because lack of space.

Thank you,
Blessed be.

5 Likes

Walter,
You don’t have to pay for it, I would like to give you this book it’s just collecting dust in my garage! Please I hope you do well on your journey in life. I only hope that maybe you will use the book and it will be good use for you!

I just wanted you to know that I seen 1000 on my walk with the dog!
It means
(1)Stay positive. Everything you’re thinking about right now is coming true so be sure that you’re only thinking about what you desire. Give any fears to God and to the angels
(2) 0 God is talking to you. When you say zero it’s a sign of the endless cycle of omega without beginning or end. God is trying to get your attention with a word of reassurance for divine guidance.
I only was looking because we were talking earlier about it then know there is a divine intervention!
Thanks
Jeannie

8 Likes