Eiwaz/Ihwaz/Elwaz - 13th Rune of the Elder Futhark & 5th Rune of Heimdall’s Aett :iwaz:

Rune Name: Eiwaz/Ihwaz/Elwaz :iwaz:

Image Source Credit

Germanic Name: Eihwaz, Yew
Phonetic Value: E,I, as in EI
Pronunciation: AY-wahz
Translation: Yew
Modern English: Yew

Rune Number: 13 of the Elder Futhark & 5th Rune of Heimdall’s Aett
Polarity: Union of Masculine & Feminine :yin_yang:

Color Association(s): Dark Blue
Elemental Association(s): Air :wind_face:, Earth :earth_americas:, Fire :fire:, Water :ocean:, Ether

Herbal Association(s): Mandrake :herb:
Tree Association(s): Yew

Astrological Association(s): Scorpio :scorpius:
Month/Days: December 28 – January 13

Chakras: Crown :crown:, Heart :heart:, Root, Sacral, Solar Plexus, Third Eye, Throat
Tarot Card(s): The Magician, The High Priestess, The Hanged Man, The World :earth_africa:

Magickal Uses: Chant or inscribe to help reach out to the other worlds. Meditating :woman_in_lotus_position: or slipping into a shamanic trance, inscribe this rune on you to facilitate your journey as well as to protect you while you are on it.

Overall Meanings/Keyword(s): Tree of Life, Magic, Initiation, Death, Guardian, Responsibility, Hidden Cosmic Knowledge.

Through purposeful sacrifice, a united will can be achieved. As above, so below. As within, so without. This commitment brings knowledge & guidance for the highest good of all if you are ready & willing to work it out.

Affirmation: Alignment & enlightenment are what I seek. Guide me in my quest for balanced ascendence & grounding as roots dug deep, eyes to the skies, I travel between worlds.

The principle of the vertical axis that penetrates into the world above & the world below & connects the human realm to the heavenly & chlonic regions. Synthesis of above & below, light & dark, life & death. The yew is a flexible force but also hard, it endures beyond all other things.

Brightstave/Upright: The yew promotes spiritual enlightenment along the vertical axis of consciousness. Mental toughness & flexibility is needed. The inner flame must be ignited through discipline. Seek independence from the natural/mechanical order of the cosmos. Controlled changes in consciousness are indicated. (Initiation) Realization of inner strength will protect you from outside dangers. Bring together the light & the dark.

Edit Merkstave/Reversed is for those that happen to read all runes with a Merkstave/Reversed meaning which means that they are pulled sideways instead of upright. However, :iwaz: Eihwaz traditionally doesn’t have a reversed meaning.

Merkstave/Reversed: Coming too early in the life of a person can cause deep confusion & consternation. The hot fires unconsciously ignited may cause “burn out” leading to death & decay. A stoppage of the yew principle in those who are prepared for it causes a profound sense of dissatisfaction. Boredom, & meaninglessness. It also can soften your will & sense of self-discipline.

Eihwaz Rune Meditation - Magin Rose

Sources:

• Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

• Kristina, Jillian. “Wild Runes Deck - Tamed Wild.” Nashville Metropolitan Area, Nashville, 2020. Wild Runes Deck – Tamed Wild

• Simonds, Josh. The Beginner’s Guide to Runes: Divination and Magic with the Elder Futhark Runes. Rockridge Press, 2020.

• Thorsson, Edred. Big Book of Runes and Rune Magic: A Complete Guide to Interpreting Runes, Rune Lore, and the Art of Runecasting . Red Wheel/Weiser, 2018.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing information about this rune @Susurrus

That’s a great piece of knowledge. I don’t know if it’s related to the concept of Bifröst, but I was reading about it. In Norse mythology there’s a bridge that connects Earth with the realm of the gods.

Here’s an illustration from Classic Illustrations from Norse Mythology

6 Likes

You’re telling me there’s a card associated with 13, Scorpio, and The World!?! :heart_eyes: I thought Raidho was my favorite rune, but Eiwaz is making its way up to the top of the list! :laughing:

I had combined Raidho and Elhaz/Algiz as a bindrune to put on my safe travels spell pouch, but now I’m tempted to explore Raidho and Eiwaz for purely personal interest :mag: :grinning:

These rune posts are always a delight- thank you so much for sharing your wisdom, @Susurrus! :heart::iwaz:

5 Likes

Any time there is something with 13, Scorpio… I get all excited too! I hope you enjoy your exploration of the :raido: & :iwaz: runes! Let me know how it turns out! :hugs:

@Francisco thank you for sharing that, I knew they believed that the 1 went to the other realms as well, but I had never tried to visualize that happening. The illustration helped put that into motion. Thank you! :two_hearts:

6 Likes