Laguz - 21st Rune of the Elder Futhark & 5th of Tyr's Aett :laukaz:

Rune Name: Laguz :laukaz:

Germanic Name: Laguz, Water, Lake, or Laukaz (Leek)
Phonetic Value: L
Pronunciation: LAH-gooz
Translation: Lake, Leek, Water
Modern English: Lake or Leek

Rune Number: 21 of the Elder Futhark & 5 of Tyr’s Aett

Polarity: Female :female_sign:
Color Association(s): Deep Green
Elemental Association(s): Earth :earth_element: , Water :water_element:

Herbal Association(s): Leek
Tree Association(s): Willow
Astrological Association(s): Moon :astrology_moon:
Month/Days: April 29 thru May 14

Chakras: Root, Sacral
Tarot Card(s): The Moon :full_moon:, Queen :crown: of Cups :cup_tarot: , 6 of Swords :sword_tarot:

Magickal Uses: When drawn with Mannaz :mannaz: or Raidho :raido: could indicate a journey over a body of water. Use to develop intuition, as well as ease emotions. Draw on your forehead & intone to increase those powers. Great rune for creativity & writer’s block. Helps to heal emotions.

Overall Meanings/Keyword(s): Lake, Water :ocean: , Fluidity, Primal Void, Passage, Initiation, Possibility. Renewal, Strength :muscle: , Justice :balance_scale: , Magic, Intuition, Creativity, Emotional Balance. Principle of cosmic water welling up & containing the potential for life. The great sea of dynamic forces into which you are thrust during your voyage of becoming. Water & all life-giving abundance. Water :ocean: is everywhere, the sky above, around, below, & in us. Water sustains & moves. We all have hidden springs & Laguz :laukaz: helps to discover them in waking or dreaming states.

Ancient Folklore: Water cannot be controlled; it freezes & melts & flows as the climate dictates.

Brightstave/Upright: Allow the flow, meet potential, & go along with obstacles rather than fight them. Listen for the lessons found in the deep, dark waters of the void. Create space for both the darkness & the radiance to reach you. Stern tests in life indicated that you have the vital energies to stand these tests. The self evolves through the experience of true initiation. The transition from one state of being to another. Begin at once to act. Control of the self is most needed. Do not fear the journey. Personal growth will occur through perhaps uncomfortable situations.

Merkstave/Reversed: Fear of change, fear of the journey, & the unknown vastness within the deep of self are present. The danger of going in circles, avoiding the path, avoiding life. Failing the test is indicated. Stunted growth, withering, poverty. Access to deep self is blocked.

Affirmation: I invite the mystery & darkness to swirl through my mind, body, & spirit. I cleanse the clogged pathways of my psyche & clear a passage for the enlightenment that can only come from the void.

Meditation: Laguz Guided Meditation - Magin Rose

Sources:

• Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

• Kristina, Jillian. “Wild Runes Deck - Tamed Wild.” Nashville Metropolitan Area, Nashville, 2020. Wild Runes Deck + Booklet – Tamed Wild

• Simonds, Josh. The Beginner’s Guide to Runes: Divination and Magic with the Elder Futhark Runes . Rockridge Press, 2020.

• Thorsson, Edred. Big Book of Runes and Rune Magic: A Complete Guide to Interpreting Runes, Rune Lore, and the Art of Runecasting . Red Wheel/Weiser, 2018.

8 Likes

Yay!!! Thank you, love this information as always! Appreciate your hard work in illuminating each of the runes!

4 Likes

You’re welcome! I hope they help you too!

4 Likes

These are always so good! Thank you, dear heart!

3 Likes

@Susurrus
I learned a lot just now :heartbeat::heartbeat:

4 Likes

The rune of water! :droplet: :grinning: Well, water and so much more- gosh, from reading this I can see so many ways to use this rune in the Craft. In elemental spellwork, this would be a good symbol/representative for the water element :water_element:, but it looks like it ties in well with earth too :earth_element: Possibilities!

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom @Susurrus! :laukaz: :two_hearts:

3 Likes

@amara if you have an interest in learning more about the runes we have a master post:

Runes Information there’s a new post every week for the next rune (I only have 3 left to do) but there’s also other information contained within the master post about runes & how they are used.

@BryWisteria Thank you, I like that it seems to be a very versatile rune!

@Amethyst you are very welcome! I just got a small pouch of wooden runes, I’m going to gift them to my daughter & give her a book on the runes I am going to make from these posts :hugs:

4 Likes

I’m sure she’ll love it! That would be really great for a newbie to runes!

3 Likes