Soar throat - help!

Good morning whenever you are in the world! :pink_heart: I woke up with soar throat on one side and the pain spreads to my left ear. I have a moment of forgetfulness due to fever… I’m already hydrating a lot and resting but can you please share quick tea relief to drink, spray throat or other handy remedies to quickly combat soar throat and discomfort?

11 Likes

Ah… sore throat is the worst! I hope you get well soon!

The simplest one is to eat a spoonfull of honey - nature’s best antibiotic. The teas you can go with are chamomile, oregano (weird one but works), sage, thyme and rosmary! with some honey and lemon if you also like. Just remember not to drink them when they are very hot, it can worsen then throat.
Also you can make chamomile or rosmary compreses to put them topically. And if you feel that the oregano tea is not for you, you can boil it and inhale the vapor.

Another thing we do in Balkans, is boil some grappa with sugar or honey, let it cool down and drink it - it was my grandma’s go to remedy :rofl:

11 Likes

@stavroula Thank you for the great tips and ideas! Really appreciate it. :blush:

I got all of those ingredients at home, do you personally use all of the ingredients or just choose 1-3? I got some oregano from Greece so will try it out!

Oh grappa is like Hungarian pálinka, I don’t have any at home but definitely must try one day :joy: we gotta love the Balkan grandmas :pink_heart:

10 Likes

Usually I do one herb at the time and that because of the taste and the diffrent times they need to get ready. If I fancy mixing I will do chamomile + something.

You have hungarian roots? Oh well, then you know how it goes :rofl:

11 Likes

@stavroula already had you covered with so many great ideas!

I would add: with my honey and lemon, I add ginger and a dash of cayenne
-slippery elm and echinacea are good throat herbs ( I don’t know the measurements/details on useage)
-a cold compress- cold water on a towel on throat and then a dry towel to keep the moisture in. Keep it there until the towel warms up. Reapply as necessary
-gargle with salt water (not a tea but I find it works well for sore throats)

Since it is one sided you may to consult a doctor.

I hope you feel better soon!

11 Likes

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your sore throat, @Nacurro. Throat ickies are never fun.

I’m with @stavroula and @Phoenix_Rose on the honey :honey_pot: Either on its own or in a warm blend it’s a fantastic soother and healer. And a second vote for the slippery elm too! There’s a tea blend by Traditional Medicinals called “Throat Coat” and the one with slippery elm works wonders for me :tea: :herb:

I’m no doctor, but the pain spreading up to your ear seems like another key symptom that would be worth looking into. Ear pain can sometimes be from inflamed sinuses or even a tooth problem, among other things.

If it doesn’t heal up soon, I’d recommend getting it checked out - hopefully it’ll heal on its own, but if antibiotics or other medicines are needed it’s good to get them sooner rather than later!

I hope your throat heals up and that you’re feeling better soon, Nacurro - much love and many blessings as you heal :pray: :heart:

11 Likes

So sorry you’re ill lovely :sparkling_heart:, everyone has got you covered, definitely checkout ear pain, could be an infection in the ear, gums or teeth. One thing I do for a sore throat is an olive oil toddy.

3 desert spoons olive oil
3 desert spoons rum/brandy/or whiskey
1 desert spoon honey
Mix well
Refrigerate
Take a teaspoon at a time, as required.
Lasts 24 hours in the fridge then make a fresh batch.
Sending hugs :green_heart:

10 Likes

I wish my partner listened to this. :laughing:

Or just cover yourself in rakija. :laughing:

9 Likes

Boil 1 cup of water and 1 spoonful of thyme for a minute
when the water cools, strain to remove the thyme and add 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of lemon
finally you will put them on the fire to become warm and you will add 4 soup spoons of honey
helps with sore throat
you can use 2 spoons…soup in the morning and two in the evening
we hope it passes quickly

9 Likes

My mom’s whole family was Hungarian blonde and green eyes.

9 Likes

We have a couple of tea recipes for different types of colds too!

Cold & Flu Tea
Bronchial Congestion Tea
Immune Boosting Magick
Fighting and Preventing Illness: Herbs and Plants for Immunity :herb:
Elderberries & A Decoction for Immunity and Antiviral properties

10 Likes

I’ve been knackered for a few days, but really thank you for your help! @stavroula, @Phoenix_Rose, @tracyS, @AIRAM, @BryWisteria, @Susurrus! I’ve tried most of your remedies and it helped soothe a lot and my cold hasn’t gotten worse.

I think the ear pain was due to my throat hurting so much that it sent pain signals through my ear up to my head and whole face. My whole nervous system is a bit wacky atm, sending signals here and there. :face_holding_back_tears:

However I’m resting, drinking lots of tea and I feel it’s under control, just have to let the body work its own magic. :pink_heart:

Yeah I got Hungarian roots so I’m aware :joy:

I wish I had some at home, one of my best friend is Serbian. Same with Hungarian Unicum

Wow didn’t expect that, how did she end up in the states? I got green eyes but brunette. :smiling_face:

9 Likes

I’m honestly not sure idk? Just what my mom has told me and I’ve seen pics. Most of her family is gone. Most of the family passed away from Huntington’s disease.

9 Likes

Aww I’m sorry to hear that. :pink_heart:

9 Likes

Thankyou lovely :rose::rose::rose::rose:

9 Likes

That sounds like a step in the right direction - I’m glad your sore throat is feeling a bit better! May it continue to heal quickly :hugs: :heart:

8 Likes